• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVN MF Historical Database is now LIVE!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you guys want to make show/hide dependent on resort, I can do that, I just need to know specifically which resorts have which taxes and which have none.

As far as WPORV, I would just include it as part of the MF unless owners want to track that amount changing.

For WPORV - probably okay to include Princeville fee into MFs.

As to taxes - there are 2 taxes lines (one listed as Property Tax and other listed as 'Tax)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess I was not clear - the MFs for WSJ-VGV (2Bd TH) in 2009 was $2465.82 (not $1600.65). 2005 now has the 2009 MF (incorrect) - the original 2005 MF needs to be put back in

Glorian (grgs) listed the taxes for WKV as property taxes and they are correct - these are listed on the MF bill as RE taxes. So other amounts should be moved to Property tax

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess I was not clear - the MFs for WSJ-VGV (2Bd TH) in 2009 was $2465.82 (not $1600.65). 2005 now has the 2009 MF (incorrect) - the original 2005 MF needs to be put back in

If you want to delete the WSJ-VGV 2Bd TH lines for 2005 and 2009 - I can re-enter.

gtm2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on where you get your information. I pulled my information off of MyStarCentral, so I entered my tax information into the field that matched both websites ("Tax - If Applicable"). I agree they are all real estate taxes, we just have to agree which field we are using (Property Taxes or Tax - If Applicable). I also believe there was a tax credit issue at WKV a few years back and everyone was paying slightly different values depending on the tax credit amount.

Copied directly off of MyStarCentral:

2012 WKV 1BD Premium:
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 762.08
Tax - If Applicable $ 27.40
Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 125.00

2011 WKV 1BD Premium:
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 720.37
Tax - If Applicable $ 23.09
Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 119.00

Glorian (grgs) listed the taxes for WKV as property taxes and they are correct - these are listed on the MF bill as RE taxes. So other amounts should be moved to Property tax

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess it all depends on where you get your information. I pulled my information off of MyStarCentral, so I entered my tax information into the field that matched both websites ("Tax - If Applicable"). I agree they are all real estate taxes, we just have to agree which field we are using (Property Taxes or Tax - If Applicable). I also believe there was a tax credit issue at WKV a few years back and everyone was paying slightly different values depending on the tax credit amount.

Copied directly off of MyStarCentral:

2012 WKV 1BD Premium:
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 762.08
Tax - If Applicable $ 27.40
Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 125.00

2011 WKV 1BD Premium:
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 720.37
Tax - If Applicable $ 23.09
Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 119.00

If you look at actual MF bill (2013 can be downloaded from MSC) - it lists this tax as a RE tax.

I am not sure why there is an additional tax line - are there taxes that are not RE raxes?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why there is an additional tax line - are there taxes that are not RE raxes?
Another poster commented that as their first purchase was HI their SVO fee is taxed as a HI sales transaction and they pay sales tax on the $125 fee. So there are other taxes.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another poster commented that as their first purchase was HI their SVO fee is taxed as a HI sales transaction and they pay sales tax on the $125 fee. So there are other taxes.

Also applies if your second purchase is in Hawaii...

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
I entered my Vistana Beach Club however I had to put it as a 2 bd lock off and not just a 2 bd

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I get taxed on my SVN fee as well as my 1st purchase was the WKORV OFD, but is this tax really necessary for this database (along with SVN fee)?

I do not know why SVN fees (or taxes on SVN fees) are even included in this database - as they differ on whether you own 1, 2, 3..., which order one purchased them, the increase over the yearsm and whether purchased in HI or not. So it has no real information associated with it in regards to the MFs, SAs, or property taxes - and therefore of no value when it comes to historical understanding of ownership cost - other than whether a SVN (and taxes) was paid for the VOI. It just makes the database more confusing.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get taxed on my SVN fee as well as my 1st purchase was the WKORV OFD, but is this tax really necessary for this database (along with SVN fee)?

I do not know why SVN fees (or taxes on SVN fees) are even included in this database - as they differ on whether you own 1, 2, 3..., which order one purchased them, the increase over the yearsm and whether purchased in HI or not. So it has no real information associated with it in regards to the MFs, SAs, or property taxes - and therefore of no value when it comes to historical understanding of ownership cost - other than whether a SVN (and taxes) was paid for the VOI. It just makes the database more confusing.

Partly. If you give everyone the boxes they see on their online MF (or offline) bill to drop numbers into you get less likelyhood that they will try to kludge numbers into boxes to get to the $ value of the bill on input. Match the input screen to the order and titles of the form being filled in.

Now when it comes to analysis, hopefully in time the DB can have a filter to throw ignore any of the data you don't want to look at so you can focus on just the MF.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Really? Capturing HI taxes on SVN fees was the intent? The taxes for an SVN fee (in HI) are not itemized in the 1st place.

Thus the rub - while SVN fees are known and set (and a simple post/stickie could reflect this) - associated property taxes do not fall into this category, but go to real ownership costs. We already have folks putting in RE taxes as 'Taxes' - real crowdsourcing would allow for more than one entry and account for errors in understanding MF bills (etc) - but once something is entered - the same item cannot be entered.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't the SVN fee charged on a membership level, not on each week? So if I own 3 weeks, I pay the same SVN fee as someone else that owns 3 weeks? I don't pay an SVN fee per each week?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the SVN fee charged on a membership level, not on each week? So if I own 3 weeks, I pay the same SVN fee as someone else that owns 3 weeks? I don't pay an SVN fee per each week?

What does each of your weeks show here? The first should show $125 and the rest, less.

As I said before, the purpose of having each box separate is to make sure people don't kludge it all together and say

"The MF for WKV is $1434" The MF is $1271. The MF and other fees is $1434. If you look through the MF stickies from previous years you will find that they have many posts with just the Sub-Total number and a lack of clarity, hopefully asking for all datapoints will prevent that reoccurring.

PS - I bought this unit this year from a delinquent owner. They aint my late fees :) :shrug:

Attachments

• MF-MSC-Image.jpg
    MF-MSC-Image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 57

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? Capturing HI taxes on SVN fees was the intent? The taxes for an SVN fee (in HI) are not itemized in the 1st place.

Thus the rub - while SVN fees are known and set (and a simple post/stickie could reflect this) - associated property taxes do not fall into this category, but go to real ownership costs. We already have folks putting in RE taxes as 'Taxes' - real crowdsourcing would allow for more than one entry and account for errors in understanding MF bills (etc) - but once something is entered - the same item cannot be entered.
Well that is how Hypnotiq designed it. Designing the form so users don;t make mistakes means that each of those boxes should be open for completion and in the order in my post above. Then the analysis should ony be on MF and Tax.
I'm not sure what Tax-If Applicable on my WKV MF is but I know I am paying it.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I agree. The SVN fee is independent of the MF for the unit and really doesn't even belong in this database. Your specific SVN fee will vary based on the number of SVN properties you own, and which deed has the highest SVN fee will depend on which property you bought first. If anything, the database could show what the SVN fees were each year in a table separate from the MF info just for historical purposes...but I don't think that's really needed, either. But I agree with others that not having the SVN fee field will confuse people on what to enter, since many consider it part of their MF.

Personally, I just ignore when others list their SVN fee since I know what my costs are for membership. In writing this, I just realized that since I gave away my WMH week this year I am down to one SVN property so I won't have to pay for multiple units in SVN any longer! Another savings (and getting close to deciding when to buy another unit!) :)

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Close - you pay the full SVN fee for the first VOI (~$125 in 2012 iirc) that SVN has you buying, and then the partial SVN fee (~$33 in 2012 iirc) for the 2nd purchase, after that there is no charge for additional VOIs. For me - the 1st is WKORV (and HI adds a tax), and then the 2nd is WSJ (no tax added) - the rest have no charge {at least until they change it and start charging for additional ones). Not sure, but I think the SVN fee for 5* are waived. Also, for a V resort - you can decline being in SVN or cannot be in SVN if bought resale and not retro'd

Bottom-line - SVN fees is for SVN exchanges, and not necessarily directly part of VOI cost due to these variables. Whereas, MFs, SAs, and taxes are directly part of the VOI ownership, and all owners pay relatively equally (except Prop tax can slightly vary).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm not sure what Tax-If Applicable on my WKV MF is but I know I am paying it.

It is the Real Estate Tax - it states this on the actual MF bill.

Right now there is no way to prevent someone from kludging it all together anyway, and since once an entry is made an identical entry cannot be made - this would help correct. The best way - as Nico made it - is to clearly state that the MF does not inlude SVN, etc. Then get rid of the SVN fee column - if someone adds, then if discovered - have the ability to remove the added amount.

if not - there should be a total column that only has MF, Tax and SA since that is the cost for all owners for that specific VOI.

IMO

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Close - you pay the full SVN fee for the first VOI (~$125 in 2012 iirc) that SVN has you buying, and then the partial SVN fee (~$33 in 2012 iirc) for the 2nd purchase, after that there is no charge for additional VOIs. For me - the 1st is WKORV (and HI adds a tax), and then the 2nd is WSJ (no tax added) - the rest have no charge {at least until they change it and start charging for additional ones). Not sure, but I think the SVN fee for 5* are waived.

We pay the Hawaii sales tax on the full SVN fee on our first (WKORV) and the partial SVN fee on our second (WKORVN) week.

No waiving of the fee for 5*...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I knew 5* had some fees waived - seems like they all are... wasn't sure about SVN

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many cooks in the kitchen. :D

Most of the design came from feedback that I got in the other thread on building a DB. :)

Preventing another entry from being added if one already existed was one of the things that was asked for (and IMO makes sense.) That way we can work through the issues of incorrect data on a case by case basis, rather than me manipulating the DB constantly. :hi:

I have no problems removing the SVN column as well as the "Taxes" (non Property Taxes) entries, if that is what the consensus is.

I already planned to add a total column this week, so that should solve that request. :)

So let's keep the DCR's coming... :p

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm all for removing the SVN and non-RE tax fields - and the TUG User field.

Do you want to break the real estate taxes out of all the resorts' MF's now?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I agree that the SVN fee column does not help. That fee is really owner related (how many VOI's does this owner own) vs. property specific.

OTOH, specifying the amount of real property taxes is potentially helpful for those who itemize income tax deductions and want an easy reminder of the deductions available.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm all for removing the SVN and non-RE tax fields - and the TUG User field.

Do you want to break the real estate taxes out of all the resorts' MF's now?

I agree that the SVN fee column does not help. That fee is really owner related (how many VOI's does this owner own) vs. property specific.

OTOH, specifying the amount of real property taxes is potentially helpful for those who itemize income tax deductions and want an easy reminder of the deductions available.
1) Then, if Nico is up for the programming I would propose that the data point IS CAPTURED on the "Add New Entry in SVN Database" screen to make sure people are putting right numbers in boxes, however it is NOT DISPLAYED on the "Query SVN MF Database" screen.

2) Westin Lagunamar is spelt wrong Lagunamar not Lagunarmar

3) Sheraton Vistana Beach Club is 2BR only, there are no other room types at that location. Currently there is a long list duplicating the list at SVV.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
2) Westin Lagunamar is spelt wrong Lagunamar not Lagunarmar
Fixed
3) Sheraton Vistana Beach Club is 2BR only, there are no other room types at that location. Currently there is a long list duplicating the list at SVV.

It wasn't duplicating SVV, it was pulling the HRA info since both use the same name for Phase I/II. Fixed. :)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fixed

It wasn't duplicating SVV, it was pulling the HRA info since both use the same name for Phase I/II. Fixed. :)

Someone had put in a datapoint for VBC as 2BR LO as they could not pick 2Br so that will need to be tidied up at some point.