• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Survey: II platinum - what benefits do you find of use?

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
What benefits of II Platinum membership do you find most useful? I just bought the membership for 2 years - now I have to use it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheaper upgrade fees, cheaper getaways, and free guest certificates. If you barely use any of those three it pays for itself. I have little use for the other fluff.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "cheaper upgrade" fees? I did not realize that II can allow an upgrade on an exchange request? - are you saying that if I deposit a 1 bedroom unit to II, I can request (for a fee?) an upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
You can't request an upgrade, but if you are doing an instant exchange, the upgrade fees are half if you are platinum. I have platinum and it's kind of a no brainer between the upgrade fee discount and the free guest certificates.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't request an upgrade, but if you are doing an instant exchange, the upgrade fees are half if you are platinum. I have platinum and it's kind of a no brainer between the upgrade fee discount and the free guest certificates.

Still confused by what you are saying. I have never heard of the term "instant exchange or "upgrade fees".

Are you talking about flex change - within 59 days of arrival?

Or are you referring to the platinum promotions (that is now on), for getting getaways at a major discount (over and above the usual $50 dollars discount compared to a regular II member, or compared to $25 to a Gold II member).

So in which context are you talking about "an upgrade"?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you exchange into a larger unit than the one you deposited, II now charges an "upgrade fee". This is $99 (or $59 if you have platinum) per size upgrade (studio to 1br, 1br to 2br, 2br to 3br, etc) The exchange could be during an instant exchange during flex change or otherwise. It could also be a match for an ongoing request where you request the same size but match to a larger unit. II will call you to pay the upgrade fee before confirming the exchange.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I have a good trading power unit (in my case a 2 bedroom unit at Marriott Ko Olina Oahu Hawaii- floating week) and I can exchange automatically without asking for it, into a 3 bedroom Marriott unit at a lower demand destination, or a 4 bedroom Westgate unit in Orlando, I would have pay this upgrade fee?

Let us say that I trade a studio unit (from my Ko Olina unit, which can be locked off from the 1 bedroom part of the 2 b.r. unit) to a unit at Marriott Newport Beach. If I understand correctly, those 2 bedroom units are the only units available at that Newport Beach resort, and one can not lock off (unlike my own resort) at that 2 bedroom unit. Do I pay the upgrade fee?

PS-with a desirable unit like mine, am I allowed up front to request an "upgrade" up front?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes. If you are trading a 2 br Marriott Hawaii into an off season no name resort in January in Missouri, you would have to pay an upgrade fee on top of the exchange fee. This would be $99 for a regular member or $59 for a platinum. If you were exchanging a studio into the same 3 br off season no name resort you would have to pay 3 times the upgrade fee ($99X3=$298 or $59X3=$177 for platinum).

You can only set up an ongoing request for a unit of the same size. If you have enough exchange power for a larger unit and one becomes available, II will attempt to call you to see if you want to pay the fee to confirm. If they can't get in touch with you in 24 hours they will pass it on to the next person in line for the exchange.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you exchange into a larger unit than the one you deposited, II now charges an "upgrade fee". This is $99 (or $59 if you have platinum) per size upgrade (studio to 1br, 1br to 2br, 2br to 3br, etc) The exchange could be during an instant exchange during flex change or otherwise. It could also be a match for an ongoing request where you request the same size but match to a larger unit. II will call you to pay the upgrade fee before confirming the exchange.
Of course, during flex, there are no upgrade fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, during flex, there are no upgrade fees.

One strategy I used recently on two units is to make the exchanges with 2BR units and add e-plus. Then when inside 60 days I used studios and retraded the 2BR units for something else down the road.