• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stop paying MF Orange Lake

Reaction score
Hi

I have a timeshare at HIGV at Orange Lake. All paid up

Maybe a silly question but what happens if we just don't pay the MF'S.

We haven't used the thing for 2 years and are paying just over $1000 per year. Total waist of money. The time share is paid up years ago.

I read on other pages about credit rating etc.

We are in the UK so know that this won't affect credit ratings as that would only be for the UK credit I believe.

If I just stopped paying what would happen.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
There is still value in HIGV at Orange Lake try renting your unit out or give it away.

Reaction score
There is still value in HIGV at Orange Lake try renting your unit out or give it away.
Thanks Bailey. But no value in actually someone paying for it?

I have thought about giving it away. I will have a look on here in the bargains section.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you just want "out", you are likely not interested in becoming a trans-Atlantic "landlord", with the associated time, effort (and uncertainty of success).

You can of course just simply stop paying your fees and default, with inevitable foreclosure to follow at some point thereafter. Alternatively, for a cleaner (and likely quicker as well) "exit", you can first attempt to give the ownership away by advertising in the TUG "Bargain Deals" forum. With a maintenance fee bill for 2017 surely now in your hands for some time already (and now due), you'll need to give some serious thought to that maintenance fee bill, closing costs and transfer fees --- or more specifically, just who would be paying those inevitable costs in a transfer of ownership. If your week is a relatively high demand week, perhaps a willing recipient will step forward in response to a Bargain Deals listing, willing to pay the 2017 maintenance fee amount and the closing costs in order to get the 2017 usage. Or maybe a compromise, "splitting" those transfer costs. Frankly, I'd at least give that route a try before just passively allowing inevitable foreclosure --- but that is of course your own choice and decision to make. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you just want "out", you are probably not interested in the exercise of becoming a trans-Atlantic "landlord".

You can of course simply stop paying your fees and default, with inevitable foreclosure. Alternatively, for a cleaner (and likely quicker as well) exit, you can first attempt to give the ownership away in the TUG "Bargain Deals" forum. With a maintenance fee for 2017 likely now in your hands already due, you'll need to give some thought to that maintenance fee bill and closing costs and transfer fees --- or more specifically, who will be paying those inevitable costs. If your week is a relatively high demand week, perhaps a willing recipient will step forward, willing to pay the 2017 maintenance fee amount and, of course, get the 2017 usage. I'd frankly give that a try before just passively allowing foreclosure, but that is of course your choice and decision.

Thanks for your help. Yes 2017 fees paid. We now have 2 years worth of points. Which I'm actually using to transfer to Vegas for March this year. So will more than likely look to do something at the back end of 2017.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most weeks system wide have $0 value. A few have $500-1000 value. Very few have more value. Without knowing the specifics, your week likely has $0 value. That being said, I have heard that HICV does take back paid current ownerships with a modest fee.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
It is HICV with Orange Lake by the way.

I have heard that HICV will take them back if you persist but everything must be paid for up to date. As you know they have no value but people will take them off your hands. Again to transfer , everything needs paid up to date.

I rent several for people that are not comfortable doing so, you could get that $ out of it especially if you are a points owner and can hand pick your week.

Buy now you have such a terrible taste in your mouth , I'm sure you want to just get rid of it.

Good luck

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Thanks Bailey. But no value in actually someone paying for it?

I have thought about giving it away. I will have a look on here in the bargains section.

If you are seriously interested in giving it away, please send me a private message of the details of your ownership. Looks like you have plans for using it in 2017 but I may be interested in taking ownership in 2018 depending on the details of what village you own in, # of bedrooms and summer months availability. Please send me a private message.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are seriously interested in giving it away, please send me a private message of the details of your ownership. Looks like you have plans for using it in 2017 but I may be interested in taking ownership in 2018 depending on the details of what village you own in, # of bedrooms and summer months availability. Please send me a private message.

I respectfully suggest that you send a private message of your own (now called a "conversation" in the new TUG software) directly to the OP. While s/he may see your post here, s/she might become sooner notified and aware of your interest if you send a message of your own. Your call; just offering a suggestion.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is that you can contact Orange Lake and see if they will take your deed back. They do a limited amount of deed backs each year.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I respectfully suggest that you send a private message of your own (now called a "conversation" in the new TUG software) directly to the OP. While s/he may see your post here, s/she might become sooner notified and aware of your interest if you send a message of your own. Your call; just offering a suggestion.
Thanks Theo....i sent a private message...but noticed person is listed as a guest and not a member so I wasnt sure they were aware of private messages so I wanted to cover all bases. But generally I would only do this by private message.