• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Ownership Poll

• Marriott owners

Votes: 271 20.1%
  • Hilton owners

Votes: 115 8.5%
  • Starwood owners

Votes: 188 13.9%
  • Wyndham (FairField) owners

Votes: 222 16.4%
  • Disney owners

Votes: 80 5.9%
  • Destination Club members

Votes: 12 0.9%
  • Hyatt owners

Votes: 35 2.6%
  • Other/Independent owner

Votes: 593 43.9%
  • Worldmark owners

Votes: 151 11.2%
  • Diamond/Sunterra owners

Votes: 73 5.4%
  • Bluegreen owners

Votes: 47 3.5%
  • Celebrity owners

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • Westgate owners

Votes: 47 3.5%
  • Royal Resorts owners

Votes: 43 3.2%
  • VRI

Votes: 51 3.8%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I understand that.

Let me try again.

The percentages shown are of the numbers who have voted, not of the numbers of units owned.

Which is fantastic...seeing as how the poll is a percentage of timeshares owned by individual members....vs a poll called "number of units owned vs total number of units voted for" IE...what percentage of voting members own marriott...well lookie there...28% of them do...how many own sunterra awesome...3%. Which was the entire point of the poll.

So they are misleading.

no they arent...there are 213 people who have voted (or whatever the number is now)..some could have voted for one...others could have voted for 2 or 3 or 4...no way to tell.

Right now, for instance, 124 weeks out of 213 voters are independent, for a false 58.22%.

and thats exactly what it is...out of the 213 people who voted..."independent" was clicked 124 times...or 58% of the people who voted clicked independent. The math is correct...just because it isnt calculated the way YOU feel it should be calculated does not make it incorrect. I may have gone to public school...but I can divide 213 by 124 and come out with the same number the forum software does.

However, 333 weeks have been indicated. 124 independents would be 37% of 333 weeks.

if the factor was a percentage of overall votes yes...but its not...as stated before....the percentage is a factor of the number of voters...not the number of votes.

All the percentages are skewed incorrectly also, since they are being calculated on the number of voters, rather than the number of weeks.

yes I know this...and is what I said earlier...I fail to see why it is somehow incorrect to you.

Frinstance, it says the 32 Wyndham owners represent 15.02%. But, obviously, 32 is less than 10% of 333 (.096).

and here we go round and round again...32/213 = 15.02%

I'm sure someone, some where sees what I'm saying.

I see exactly what you are saying....however just because it calculates it based on the number of voters(the whole point of the poll IMO)...vs the number of total votes does not make it invalid or misleading.

Fact is the numbers are correct...they just arent correct based on what you feel they should be based on.

The percentages also arent based on the 21,000+ some odd registered users on the board either...or the billions of people total on the internet at any given time.

the percentages are based on the number of voters....who can vote more than once...as stated to begin with.

are you just arguing to argue?

Lets look at it this way...I was the very first person to vote as I created the poll. I selected marriott..and independent.

now...from the polls way of calculating things...100% of the users who voted own at marriott...and 100% of the users who voted own independent.

your logic would say 50% of the users who voted own marriott...and 50% own independent. Thusly inaccurate because only one person voted...and they own at both. I dont own one or the other...I own both..and hence my 1 vote with 2 selections counts for both of them.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
So your point was to tell everyone that the poll is a representation of the number of votes each resort got...based on the total number of voters....or an accurate representation of the % of each resort.

IE how many TUGBBS members who voted are owners of xyz resorts.

Thanks for clearing that up. =)

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Yes.

Cuz I related to my original post, the impact that branded ownership is having on the exchange companies. That would be based on the number of weeks owned, not the number of owners. 52% and 37% would be a meaningful difference for the observation I was making.

That's all.

I had no bitterness, no contempt for what you are trying to do, nor no other motive, other than to relate it to the impact on the exchange companies, something of interest to all of us on this forum.

I did not wish to spoil your day, or mine, which I spent enjoyably on the golf course with a TUGger and another timeshare owner, at OLCC no less.

Have a nice evening. :wave:
- - - - - -
A point that hit after posting this is that if this same poll were done 15 years ago, or 10, but certainly 20, we all know that the independents--those using the major exchange companies--would be nearly everyone, if not everyone, so, again, I am amazed that the exchange companies figures keep going up, so they say.

So your point was to tell everyone that the poll is a representation of the number of votes each resort got...based on the total number of voters....or an accurate representation of the % of each resort.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Does that point not strike anyone else, that, if this poll is representative of the real world situation, and that such a high pecentage of ownership would not be going through the major exchange companies, and, yet, they still claim their figures are growing?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well it does say independent/other....while I tried to list all the individual systems I could think of...I have no doubt missed many that would take quite a few votes away from the independent/other section.

I dont have any issue with your point of the exchange companies...I only was in question of your statement of "these numbers are inaccurate"

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to ask . . . for those who own in programs with their own exchanging system, what do you normally do with your week (week, points, or whatever)?

Use it.

Rent it.

Exchange it through a major exchange company.

Exchange it through your internal exchange system.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I would like to ask . . . for those who own in programs with their own exchanging system, what do you normally do with your week (week, points, or whatever)?
We mostly use our Worldmark Credits (points) w/in the system with an occasional exchange through II. Each year gives us one long 7-12n trip and the balance in weekend stays. Our long trip for next year is a roadtrip from San Diego to Yellowstone. We'll visit a total of 6 WM resorts in UT, MT, CO and NV with a brief hotel stay at Mt. Rushmore. Our weekend uses are typically in the SoCAL/AZ locations.

Edited to add ... forgot DVC: We always use w/in the DVC system -- booking Disney resorts other than our home resort. (It doesn't feel like "exchanging through your internal system" -- but I suppose that is the closest answer.)

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Use it.

Rent it.

Exchange it through a major exchange company.

Exchange it through your internal exchange system.

Starwood we use within the internal trade system. We recently used II for an exchange. We had a resale that came with an unsed week. We also rent unused weeks.

DVC we use totally within internal system.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks.

Two owners do not a trend make, but as individuals go, so goes the group.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we can do a separate poll about that if you wish

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
It might be interesting to see what folks do with their ownerships. I'm trying not to use the word weeks because there are so many varieties of ownership now.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
pm or email me how you want the poll question worded and the options you would like to see and ill create it for you.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
SunTerra Or Independent ?

OK, I own at 2 independently managed SunTerra timeshares.

I do not belong to Club SunTerra -- not that anything's wrong with it.

For accurate TUG-BBS Timeshare Ownership Poll tabulation, do I mark myself down under the SunTerra category ?

Or do I go with Independent ?

Your call.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
be original...do one of each to even things out =)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Stuffing The [Virtual] Ballot Box.

be original...do one of each to even things out =)
I don't know if the software lets folks vote more than once.

The bar-chart tally on my screen shows a notation down in the lower margin saying that I've already voted in the poll.

If I vote again, will the notation say I've already voted twice in the poll ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Alan - You can vote for more than one category when you vote the first time, but once you vote, you can't vote again. If the poll categories changed after you voted, and you want to add a vote to another category, just let Brian know.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if the software lets folks vote more than once.

The bar-chart tally on my screen shows a notation down in the lower margin saying that I've already voted in the poll.

If I vote again, will the notation say I've already voted twice in the poll ?

ah...i didnt realize you had already voted.

just let me know which one vote to add to the column and I will do so as denise mentioned above!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not Changing My Mind -- Just Wondering If I Did It Right.

ah...i didnt realize you had already voted.

just let me know which one vote to add to the column and I will do so as denise mentioned above!
No need. I'll just live with my vote -- same as I do in all local, state, & national ballots.

I was just wondering -- after it was too late -- if I did it right.

As a retired professional U.S. federal bureaucrat, I'm heavy into compliance with official procedures.

You can take the Old Duffer out of the bureaucracy, but you can't take the bureaucracy out of the Old Duffer.

So it goes.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
So, there is no way to place multiple votes for a category, as in owning 3 of one and a couple of another?

Hi Alan - You can vote for more than one category when you vote the first time, but once you vote, you can't vote again. If the poll categories changed after you voted, and you want to add a vote to another category, just let Brian know.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nope..only one vote per category.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
poll updated as of 12/10

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good call...edited

adrainp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own

I am currently an owner at Bluegreen, and Silverleaf. Thinking of selling my interest in Silverleaf soon.

Adrain