• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico Safety & City Guides for Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Playa del Carmen, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cancun, Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this as a response to a sightings/distressed posting and then I realized it was more appropriate here.

Someone mentioned in a Westin Lagunamar posting: "Huge availability in Mexico. Many of us won't travel there right now."

To me this is somewhat silly. Most violence is restricted to Western Mexico, nowhere near the Maya Riviera, Cancun and Eastern Mexico. I have yet to hear of one tourist death in Eastern Mexico, yet have heard of many on the tiny island of Aruba, and yet there are few posts, if any, advising people to stay away from that minuscule island. Mexico is covers a tremendous land mass. While South Central Los Angeles, and downtown New Haven CT have daily murders, no one advises people to stay away from the United States.

I understand that reactivity often overpowers rationality, and in this case, I think refusing to travel to Mexico simply reinforces that point.

(personal attack removed)

Levitino, i remember when you sent your mom to mexico (WLR?) and she was worried about going to "drug cartel land", when i took my mom and her sister to WLR for this past mothers day, they had the same opinion, with many of the family telling them not to go due to safety (what do they know ...half of them had never even been to MX). Well Mark Twain was right, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”

Not only did they have a fantastic time, but they cant wait to return. For two women that are usually chickens they had no qualms about walking around late at night without me, they even went to CoCo Bongo Club without me until 4 in the morning just about.

Anyways, now my only problem is they want to tag along with me on my December trip to WLR! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be more comfortable if we avoid incendiary language (personal attack language from post above removed)

We really are blessed people to have the luxury of arguing over safe places to vacation.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've edited the two posts above. You can disagree with another person's opinion on a topic by stating your opinion, but please leave personal attacks out of the discussion and be courteous.

On the topic of safety in Mexico, we just got back from a wonderful week in Cabo. We feel very safe, as we always have, when we visit there. Since Cabo is at the "end of the earth" as our driver described it, the drug cartels don't operate there. If anyone wants to plan a trip to Mexico, consider Cabo as a destination.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Warning!!! - Do not vacation in the US. 31 people brutally shot in New York City within 48 hours

31 people shot citywide in 48 hours

Violence and shootings rampant in the US - police seem totally unable to stop the thugs. Stay away from the USA if you want to be safe on your next vacation!!!

Last edited:

oldspice14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico travel safety......advice ?? [merged with thread on Mexico forum]

I have two Royal Beach Club rooms reserved at the Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos over Easter 2012 for a family vacation. These rooms were reserved using Starpoints. Some of the family is getting a little nervous about traveling to Mexico with all the negative publicity the country is receiving. We are considering cancelling this reserevation How do those of you who own and/or travel to Mexico feel about travel to Mexico these days? Have any of you stayed at this resort?

If we cacel, we would look for something during the same time period in Hawaii. I realize it may be to late to reserve rooms using starpoints over Easter, but if not do any of you have recommendations of where to stay? The other option would be to rent an Easter week in Hawaii from a Starwood owner looking to rent their TS week. Do any of you have recommendations on the "best" resorts to look for villa rentals? The kids are 25, 23 and 16. We would look to golf, take in some sights and a little R&R by the ocean/pool.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We were just in Cabo in August and we go almost every year. Cabo is one of the safest destinations in Mexico. It is at the southernmost tip of the Baja peninsula at the "end of the world" as our driver told us. The drug cartels don't operate there, he said.

I've stayed at the Westin several years ago and it was pleasant, but it is not my favorite location in Cabo. You'd definitely want to have a rental car there on the corridor between the two towns of San Jose del Cabo (where the airport is located) and Cabo San Lucas.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have two Royal Beach Club rooms reserved at the Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos over Easter 2012 for a family vacation.

This resort is not part of the Starwood Vacation Network, so I moved your post to the pertinent thread on the Mexico forum.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The truth is Mexico is safer than many places in the US

Here is an article that finally points out the media hype that is going on in the USA
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/21/TR3O1KLPOQ.DTL

It is like going anywhere, use common sense,

Greg

I have two Royal Beach Club rooms reserved at the Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos over Easter 2012 for a family vacation. These rooms were reserved using Starpoints. Some of the family is getting a little nervous about traveling to Mexico with all the negative publicity the country is receiving. We are considering cancelling this reserevation How do those of you who own and/or travel to Mexico feel about travel to Mexico these days? Have any of you stayed at this resort?

If we cacel, we would look for something during the same time period in Hawaii. I realize it may be to late to reserve rooms using starpoints over Easter, but if not do any of you have recommendations of where to stay? The other option would be to rent an Easter week in Hawaii from a Starwood owner looking to rent their TS week. Do any of you have recommendations on the "best" resorts to look for villa rentals? The kids are 25, 23 and 16. We would look to golf, take in some sights and a little R&R by the ocean/pool.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

For reference, I was born and raised in Minnesota and travel to Minnesota regularly to visit family. I also travel regularly to Hawaii and to Mexico.

How would you respond to a friend or family member who said they would really like to visit Minnesota, but all of the news stories they have heard about drugs, gangs, and violence in some neighborhoods in the Twin Cities has them really scared for their personal safety in Minnesota?

The fact that I wouldn't make vacation plans to to stay on the near North side in Minneapolis doesn't stop me from visiting other locales in Minnesota. In exactly the same vein, the fact that I wouldn't visit Nuevo Laredo doesn't stop me from visiting other areas in Mexico.

In fact, of those three locales I visit regularly (Minnesota, Mexico, and Hawaii) the area where on the whole I am on the highest alert level for personal safety is Hawaii.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe

Have you read the U.S. travel advisory, or had your family read it? If you're part of a drug cartel then I'd worry plenty. Otherwise I'd treat it just like any other city you might visit, using the same precautions.

I have a timeshare in the middle of the Gold Zone in Mazatlan. Other than being propositioned by a transvestite hooker I've seen no illegal activity. Not saying there isn't any, just that I've used a little caution and have not seen it.

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Inviting you to my city

Quoted from Jim: (I don't know how to do those quote things. Sorry!)
Here's a discussion on the current safety situation regarding travel to Mexico, including State Dept., Texas State warnings, cruise line's not stopping at Mexican ports.
Included are recommendations to avoid being a victim of 'Express Hijackings', being taken by a seemingly legitimate taxi driver and forced- sometimes at gunpoint- to withdraw cash at ATMs.
http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...mexico-travel-
There's more.
As much as I love Mexico, and the Mexican people, their government seems increasingly unable to effectively battle the drug gangs or provide security for tourists.
I will continue to vote with my feet and take my dollars elsewhere.

Jim Ricks

Hey Jim and others, I'd like to invite you to come to my town, Salinas,
15 miles from beautiful Monterey/Carmel, Ca. We are known to have
one of the highest gang (drugs) shootings in the whole country. Most
of those doing the shooting are 13 to 19 years old (probably egged
on by adults) We just keep our heads down and run in and out of the
stores and home again. And then we escape to a safer place by going
to Mexico a couple times a year. Seriously tho, I don't mean to make a
joke out of the really bad problems we have here. It's out of control
and the police etc can't seem to get a handle on it. I never walk around
my town after dark and I don't go shopping at night, especiallyat the malls.
I do walk after dark (not in isolated places ) in Mexico and shop
in the busy areas, but I am careful where I go. We do not drive in
Mexico or go into or through the border cities. Yes I know, you can have
problems everywhere but I think you just have to use common sense
(and have a little trust in God) where ever you are in this world now
days, but I refuse to let it stop me from doing the things I like to do.
When people ask "Why are you going to Mexico with all that violence?"
I just say "Because I live in Salinas".

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to do those quote things....

"Why are you going to Mexico with all that violence?"
I just say "Because I live in Salinas".

To quote another message in a thread, just click the blue "Quote" button and when it opens the box where you type your reply, just keep everything between the
boxes. You can edit for clarity/brevity/humor/pointedness or whatever you want. Just keep the
s at the ends. Then if you want to see what your message looks like before you submit it, click 'Preview Post' If you like it, click 'Submit', if not, edit away.

Anyway, I have booked an exchange into one of my favorite resorts in Mexico for next Spring. I will wander the streets, and very likely nothing regrettable will happen. I know I said otherwise in the message you quoted, but if you can't change your mind, what's the point of having a mind.

All the best in Salinas.

Jim

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo San Lucas is heating up

Everyone knows i support safe and responsible travel to Mexico. But there are some implications on this thread that Cabo San Lucas is immune to the surge of cartel violence that has taken place as cartels battle amongst themselves for territory and/or battle federal and municipal forces, which is not entirely true. Some people may like to believe because of the location of the resort town, it is not a strategic spot for cartels, think again.

Here is an excerpt of what took place this past Saturday:

"A confusing situation continues to unfold in Cabo San Lucas after the Plaza Sendero retail mall in this resort city was the scene of a confrontation between gunmen and authorities during the afternoon hours of Saturday.

This Saturday evening the Milenio news agency reported that 12 gunmen armed with assault weapons had barricaded themselves in the Soriana big box store located in the mall.

The gunmen were being pursued by municipal police at the time and had entered the mall to avoid capture.

According to Milenio there were approximately 600 shoppers inside the store at the time and that up to 200 remained hostage after 6 of the gunmen had been captured."

Fyi, apparently noone really was directly taken hostage, they were just trapped in the mall as police were outside and they had to wait it out. No reported injuries, and gunmen were taken into custody.

What preceded this incident the day before was this:

"The incident at Plaza Sendero in this usually quiet tourist resort city followed a gunbattle in the colonia Brisas del Pacifico that stretched from 11:00pm Friday to early Saturday morning.

Automatic gunfire and grenade blasts shook the city when state police and the military raided a home in the search for the killers of police commander Martín Márquez Ruíz, who was murdered earlier in the week.

One Marine and a gunman were killed, 3 state ministerial police were wounded and 2 gunmen were captured during the raid in Brisas del Pacifico."

www.borderlandbeat.com

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to my previous post it appears Cabo San Lucas is controlled by the Sinaloa Cartel, which is not surprising since it is right across the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan and the Sinaloa Cartel is the most powerful DTO in the country.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...52D5EF8F55C691BAF75BFC5&first=151&FORM=IDFRIR

I think this is the shopping center north west of Cabo.

This isn't a main shopping center that tourist use. Most tourist go to Wallmart and Costco. I have been to this store and noticed an elevated gaurd shack with an armed gaurd in it.

No tourist or local civilians were hurt.

Nice find Siesta. I think Cabo would be a difficult area for the drug gangs to base operations because of remote location and small heavily protected marina. There are only a few places to unload cago off a boat.

So, Im not convinced that this was anything more than a robbery that timed out.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were just in Cabo last week (1/7 - 1/14) and we never felt unsafe. Small sample size, I know, but it seemed to be business as usual. We talked about it with our taxi driver, our whale watching guide, and various people we met in restaurants and those who live there were emphatic about the safety of the area. We're from southern CA and most were quick to warn us about staying away from Tijuana, lol.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
His target audience is totally aware of current events, in all areas of the globe; they will already be well-aware of the conditions in New Jersey and will have marked the state off--and perhaps any surrounding states.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worried - is Cancun safe for families?

We have 2 units confirmed for Westin Lagunamar for thanksgiving week.

We have a toddler, and the other family has a teenage daughter.

I really need some help here - we dont know if we should go. We travel to the caribbean frequently (Caymans, SXM, Aruba), but Mexico/Cancun seem different.

Is it safe?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will feel as safe and secure there as anywhere in the Caribbean you have been. The drug violence you have read about in Mexico is all about gangs controlling the transport routes for their product, and those don't go anywhere near the tourist areas.

You will certainly see more security personnel around public areas- airport- malls, etc than you would see at home, but they are there to give the sense of safety.

Go and enjoy. It's a beautiful place to spend Thanksgiving with friends/family.

Jim

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will feel as safe and secure there as anywhere in the Caribbean you have been. The drug violence you have read about in Mexico is all about gangs controlling the transport routes for their product, and those don't go anywhere near the tourist areas.

You will certainly see more security personnel around public areas- airport- malls, etc than you would see at home, but they are there to give the sense of safety.

Go and enjoy. It's a beautiful place to spend Thanksgiving with friends/family.

Jim

+1, i don't know if i'd stay in a 'border town' with a toddler, but Cancun should be fairly safe....I'd worry about the teenager doing teenage stuff though and looking for trouble

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I really need some help here - we dont know if we should go. We travel to the caribbean frequently (Caymans, SXM, Aruba), but Mexico/Cancun seem different.

Is it safe?

Absolutely safe and I would not hesitate to go ( actually we are also going to Lagunamar the same week). You need to be cautious wherever you go but Cancun is one of the safest areas I have ever been to.

I would actually be more concerned going to Miami and several other large US cities than Cancun which is heavily protected by the Mexican Army and they check all traffic going into the tourist areas. Most of the problems you here about Mexico are in the border towns between Mexico and the US.

Reaction score
Cancun is one of the safest place for tourist

We just came back from Cancun and I was a nervous too because of everything going on and the news. To us, it felt like home! Cancun is very safe. We had said before going that we would not leave the resort, but after being there for a day, we felt very safe leaving the resort. We walked the Cancun strip and took the transit buses almost everyday. As well, it is very safe with children. There are lots of families with children travelling in the area of Cancun. Please, don't worry and get excited and start packing and believe me it'll be a great family vacation!

Last edited:

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it safe?

We spent a week there last year, and my post about safety at that time is on page 5 of this thread. In a nutshell, we found it very safe. My brother-in-law and his family at Lagunamar in January, and they agree that there is no safety issue.

To switch coasts for a second, we just got back from Puerto Vallarta. We walked all over the downtown and southside, took buses and taxis everywhere, and also to the water taxi to the town of Yelapa. We felt perfectly safe everywhere.

We have traveled to Mexico each of the last four years, and will probably make it an annual event for years to come. You just can't beat sitting on a beach in the middle of winter.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it safe?

I feel safer at WLR than I do going from the back door of my hospital in Portland, ME into the attached parking lot. We had a murder there a year ago. If I have had a particularly bizarre or threatening patient, I have security walk me out.

Go, have a wonderful time, enjoy the amazing hospitality. The resort is amazing, the people welcoming and the food fantastic. Prices are great, transportation reasonable- what more could you want on vacation?

(Or maybe I should tell people NOT to go so I get better more frequent exchanges and can go ALOT)