• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico Safety & City Guides for Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Playa del Carmen, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cancun, Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a personal moratorium against travel into any area in Mexico for at least five years. This most recent advisory is serious and it would seem Americans wherever in their country, could be at risk.

Tourists have been gunned down on the strip in Cancun, so while most of the drug related violence has been in non-tourist areas, it has also happened in other areas too.

So if there's violence in Los Angeles, you could be at risk in Milwaukee? Huh?

Link of credible reference source, please.

Last edited:

kherbold

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/travel-warning-mexico-possible-violent-retaliation-against-americans-143445504--abc-news-topstories.html

Maybe it's just me but I would kind of note this prior to any trip South of the border. I've been shot at enough, no more volunteering for that crap...
it's you and any one else who believes the controlled media.. I live in Mexico and have never felt safer... even much more so than from where I came... Edmonton Alberta.
did you Know that just a few weeks ago the US state department actually broke down the areas/states in Mexico.. if safe or not. I live in La Paz, in Baja California and it has La Paz listed in the top 10 safest cities in all of North America.. yes that includes the US and my bet it is safer than yours :)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It's ironic that they were living in New Mexico and Oklahoma and were racing horses.

Anyway, if travel in Mexico makes you nervous you shouldn't go. It's your vacation and you should enjoy it.

We love Mexico and will continue to visit the resorts, which are located far from the hot spots. We live less than an hour away from one of the cities frequently named as dangerous, (Tijuana), and I work about 20 minutes away. We don't go there, although I have to admit that I have never liked TJ, mostly because it takes about 2 hours to cross the border coming back into the US. And it is a bit of a mess in that city with corrupt law enforcement.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have had a personal moratorium against travel into any area in Mexico for at least five years. This most recent advisory is serious and it would seem Americans wherever in their country, could be at risk.

Tourists have been gunned down on the strip in Cancun, so while most of the drug related violence has been in non-tourist areas, it has also happened in other areas too.

Tourists have also been gunned down in Miami Beach. So why do you vacation anywhere in the US?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
http://news.yahoo.com/travel-warning-mexico-possible-violent-retaliation-against-americans-143445504--abc-news-topstories.html

Maybe it's just me but I would kind of note this prior to any trip South of the border. I've been shot at enough, no more volunteering for that crap...
Ah, Jeez -- not this crap again. :annoyed: Please move this to the Mexico board -- there is a sticky there for all of the overreactionists to post and commiserate.

I'm sure from outside the US, people are amazed that we even send our children to school. After all, every kid is packing heat and will gun down their classmates at the drop of a hat. :rolleyes:

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I saw the header, I though this was going to be about the soon-to-be hurricane currently churning SW of Acapulco an headed N. to make things interesting on the Mexican Pacific Coast.

But alas, it is just a rehash of 'stay away from Mexicoism'. Yes, there are dangerous places. No they aren't country-wide. Go. Enjoy. Like with travel everywhere, be aware of your surroundings.

Jim

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
<<<deleted Comment>>>

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
<<<deleted Comment>>>

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironic to be coming from someone also living in Milwaukee. We're in enough of our own risk without bringing LA into it.

As for credible reference/source, I don't have to provide substantiation for my feelings or beliefs.

Von, you wrote: "Tourists have been gunned down on the strip in Cancun..."

Do you see how this misinformation is not only untrue, but damning, misleading, harmful to travellers, and very damaging to residents that are trying to support their children and families from the income they derive working in the area? :mad:

Then come back and write your'e "disappointed in that when people voice an opinion, naive or dumb as it may be, some of you feel it a right to attack their beliefs, whatever they may be if they are not consistent with your own".

I feel pretty strongly others are dissappointed in people spreading damaging lies made up to support their "opinion". This is the last I'll say - shame on you. That whooshing sound is your crediblity leaving this web forum!

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for posting that latest warning. Some of the State Department's warnings are more credible than others. Who knows about this one. But my problem with the constant warnings with Mexico is that people are becoming complacent. Like any tourist spot never let your guard down.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be going back to PV this winter unless something dramatic changes. As far as Cancun being dangerous -this is from the State Department website: Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.
For other areas of Mexico: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As for credible reference/source, I don't have to provide substantiation for my feelings or beliefs.
I assume that you go to the effort of making posts because you want to share an opinion with people. If you want people to give any credence at all to what you post, you need to be willing to provide backup for what you say. If you are unwilling to provide substantiation for what you feel or believe there is no reason to give any heed at all to what you post.

I agree that you are under no obligation to provide substantiation for what you believe. But when you do so you're pretty much like Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch on Thanksgiving, waiting for the Great Pumpkin to appear and give toys to all of the children. By the same token we then have no obligation to take seriously anything that you post.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

Really, have tourists (those not involved in drug activities) been gunned town in Cancun. Is this just your "opinion" or do you have something to back this up?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

Do you see how this misinformation is not only untrue, but damning, misleading, harmful to travellers, and very damaging to residents that are trying to support their children and families from the income they derive working in the area? :mad:

Then come back and write your'e "disappointed in that when people voice an opinion, naive or dumb as it may be, some of you feel it a right to attack their beliefs, whatever they may be if they are not consistent with your own".

I feel pretty strongly others are dissappointed in people spreading damaging lies made up to support their "opinion". This is the last I'll say - shame on you. That whooshing sound is your crediblity leaving this web forum!
Excellent post! You stated exactly what I was thinking. :clap:

There is a HUGE difference between attacking someone's opinions and/or beliefs vs. attacking misinformation. Unfortunately, there will always be some people who just don't "get it".

Kurt

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

<<deleted inflammatory comment that I cannot substantiate>>

OK my apologies for taking it too far and making a comment that I can't back up.

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a lengthy career in law enforcement I've seen UGLY and lots of it. I've seen it here at home and have never let it deter me from traveling within the U.S. That being said, I don't take lightly the news reports of crimes in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter. I do however refuse to let those things decide FOR me whether or not to travel to Mexico. If I did then I wouldn't leave my front door either. There's danger everywhere, but we need to also let common sense prevail We need to always be aware of our surroundings and not go out wandering into unknown areas especially late at night, be it at home or abroad.

I've had nothing but wonderful experiences in Mexico, both inland and on the coastlines (Caribbean and Pacific). I recently spent 3 weeks in Mexico City and its surrounding areas, even experiencing the 6.+ magnitude earthquake which I'm pretty much accustomed to living in Los Angeles anyway. :)

I strongly believe that although danger can be just around the corner, I will continue to travel and gain as much culture and life experience outside my own little comfort zone, as the value in that far exceeds the scope of my fear and comfort of my couch.

Travel as much as you can and only if your personal comfort and safety level allow you. Everyone is different. Just take as much precautions as are within your control, starting in your own backyard.

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yvonne..

I didn't agree with your opinion about Mexico, but the hardest statement you made was not the one in which you made the inflammatory remark, it's owning up to it and APOLOGIZING. I respect that.

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you are way out of line. Everyone has the right to express their opinion.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are way out of line. Everyone has the right to express their opinion.

No, it is actually you that is out of line, and missing the point entirely, unless you're just trying to stir things up again. Did you miss the fact that the individual has already apologized and retracted? :confused:

As pointed out above very eloquently and accurately "There is a HUGE difference between attacking someone's opinions and/or beliefs vs. attacking misinformation".

Now let's let this go, shall we? :annoyed:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone fearful of going to Mexico absolutely should stay out of Mexico for his safety. No one should plan a vacation expecting to worry the whole time; that's no vacation. Anyone who feels that way about Mexico should definitely avoid it.

I do not understand, however, why any article anyone posts which attempts to put a rational perspective on violence in Mexico (which is drug related and really has nothing to do with tourists), causes all of those who know more about Mexico and what happens day to day, despite never being in the country more than 7 days at a time on an occasional vacation, to find another drug killing article to post triumphantly.

Mexico is made up of 31 states; not all are considered to be a problem, even by the U.S. State Department. In fact, only 11 of the 31 states are mentioned by the state department

Mexico had over 113 million people in 2010; most of them aren't involved in drug cartels.

How many people actually visit Mexico per year? 22.67 million people visited Mexico during 2011, growing 2% from the previous year. Mexico is ranked as the 10th most visited country in the world, according to the World Tourism Organization. 1.2 million Canadians visited Mexico (the largest number of whom visited Cancun) in 2009. Only the United States sent more tourists to Mexico in 2009, with 5.4 million.

Ah, but how many were killed? 111 U.S. citizens were killed in Mexico last year, a third in just two cities. Almost all of them were involved in illicit vocations, usually the trafficking of guns, drugs, or people across the border. This is 111 out of close to 8 million visitors last year, with nearly 1 million of those being part- or full-time residents choosing Mexico over the U.S. or Canada. In 2010, 1,626, 200 Canadians visited Mexico; 6 were killed. And, again, almost every one of the 111 (and the 6 Canadians) was actually involved in illicit activity, but generally, the American media reports only "American/Canadian killed ______________." They don't go on to explain that said American/Canadian had drug ties. Surely, it is no shock that Americans and Canadians are sometimes involved in the drug trade.

This link takes you to a CNN piece on Mexico and safety http://jessicasmexico.wordpress.com...ico-board-of-tourism-a-different-perspective/. Do they point out that there are risks? yes--but there is a rational perspective. And, again, no one should go to Mexico who is going to be worried. Vacations are about relaxing, not worrying.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_tourists_visit_Mexico_each_year#ixzz1we7Kwpjz

No one in his right mind denies that drug violence is a problem in Mexico. Is it serious? Of course it is.
Does that mean Mexicans are out to get tourists? No.
Are there occasional incidents of violence against tourists? Yes, there are, but they are very, very occasional. Most states that have a large tourist business in the U.S. have problems with crimes against tourists---but those problems are rarely publicized in the U.S.--such news is not good for tourism. They are publicized in the U.K.; they are very concerned about the violence in the U.S. and about how unsafe it is to visit the U.S.
http://travel.booklocker.com/2011/05/18/travel-safety-in-perspective-usa-vs-mexico/

You know who else had 111 murders in one year recently? Boston. And Las Vegas. And Orlando. Were any of the people murdered tourists to those cities? I suspect they were--at least a couple.

Puerto Rico has a population of about 4 million. "Drug trafficking is at the root of most of the 1,136 homicides perpetrated in Puerto Rico in 2011, the highest number ever recorded....Puerto Rico’s [murder] rate peaked, exceeding even Mexico’s murder rate. The unmitigated demand for illegal drugs on the mainland US continues to fuel criminal violence on the Island." http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary...de-seeps-into-mainland-US-Washington-must-act Nobody running the news desks cares about Puerto Rico or has an incentive to make people scared of Puerto Ricans (by definition, they can’t be “illegal immigrants”), so this isn’t widely reported. Is Puerto Rico a dangerous place for the casual tourist; yes, it is. When on the island, there are constant warnings for tourists to beware of the areas they frequent, to beware of being out late, to beware of becoming isolated.....just to beware. Do I feel more threatened in Puerto Rico than I do just south of Tijuana or on a "normal" street in Tijuana? You bet. Am I safer in both those places than I am in Jamica? You bet.

The point, I think, is obvious: don't go if it's going to worry you; that would be stupid. But don't assume that what bothers you is a cause for concern to the 8 million (or so) Canadians and Americans who choose to visit Mexico. They, obviously, feel safe enough to travel. And don't assume that a news article about an incident in one part of Mexico applies to all of Mexico; Cancun, for example, is almost 1500 miles from Jarez. Mexico is the 15th largest country in the world. It's 3 times the size of Texas; it's the size of Spain, the U.K., France, Italy, and Germany COMBINED. A news article from one area has nothing to do with another area.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've posted somewhere in this thread before my opinion that there are areas in Mexico where tourist are very safe. My opinion is based on visiting Mexico for four consecutive years.

Notice this line in the article that re-started this discussion:
The Zetas are based in Nuevo Laredo, in Tamaulipas state just across the border from Laredo, Texas.

I think that an American would be a fool to go to Nuevo Laredo.

But Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, in my personal experience, are safe. Also, I have two co-workers who travel to Cabo every year. They tell me they feel Cabo is also very safe.

We have gotten to know people who have moved to Mexico, living there full time. They love it, and have had no experience with crime. We also have met fellow Americans who have traveled there far more than we have. They do not see the horrible drug cartel crime in the tourist areas.

I really think the media has overblown the danger. Mexico is huge. The border area is like a war zone. But the tourist areas are beautiful. And if you get away from the corporate-owned restaurant chains, Mexico is also inexpensive.

Yes, there are crimes, especially late at night, when the drinks kick in. There are petty thefts, too, just like anywhere. But the mass murders and decapitations are not happening in PV or Cancun or Cabo.

If the country doesn't appeal to you, fine. But if you are interested in going, my opinion, based on my experience and that of my friends, is that you can travel there without fear.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We have been going to Mexico for the last 10 years as snowbirds. The 3 places we like are Southern Baja, Puerto Vallarta and Yucatan.

We drive any where we want. We stay out as late as we want, where ever we want.

Been stuck in the middle of nowhere and had good luck with locals and Canadians to the rescue more often than I like to admit.

We just have nothing but good times in Mexico. Last year we were there for almost a month splitting time between Yucatan and South Baja.

I have never seen a violent crime committed in Mexico. I cant say the same for home.:eek:

Bill :D

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mexico is huge. The border area is like a war zone.

Bear in mind that the border area is huge also. We live more than half the year only 30 miles south of Tijuana. On a weekly basis, we probably cross the border twice a week, making 4 trips a week through Tijuana. We have many, many friends who live here as much as we do or full time. They, too, cross the border 2 or 3 times a week (to see a movie, shop, see a doctor, etc.) NOT ONE has ever had a problem--and some of them have been here more than 20 years (we've been here over 13).

Tijuana does, indeed, have a "bad part of town." It's on the far, far east side of Tijuana, a city of several million. As a tourist, you are on the far, far west side, along the ocean. You'd have to work hard at getting to the part of Tijuana that isn't safe--unlike L.A. where if you take the wrong free way exit, you can be in real trouble, or East St. Louis, where any free way exit taken could/probably would result in your being robbed and the car stripped, and maybe more. Tijuana is, obviously, onthe border, and it isn't a war zone. It's safe (except for the far, far east side); it has lovely restaurants and nice boulevards, a far cry from a war zone.

As I said above, Mexico is the size of the U.K., Spain, France, Italy, and Germany COMBINED. The border is 1,969 miles. Some of those 1,969 miles are dangerous, Juarez/Neuvo Laredo/part of Tijuana (though violence is waaaay down in Tijuana)-----but the dangerous part is not even all cities on the border, and not all parts of those cities. We wouldn't be here if we weren't safe; we'd stay in our home in the U.S.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the border area is huge also. We live more than half the year only 30 miles south of Tijuana. ...
Observations and information provided by people who have actual experience and knowledge mean nothing to those who have have already made up their minds and are simply looking for information to validate their belief.

There are many people who choose to believe that the entire country of Mexico is a terribly dangerous location, and they will believe what they want to believe.

It's almost classic - one of the great values of traveling is to open one's mind, learn about local cultures, and break stereotypes. But first you've got to be willing to travel.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are so right! :whoopie:

They know nothing, but think because they "saw it on tv" or saw a State Department warning, they've got the whole story:wall:

And they seem no have to awareness that the State Department warnings are mostly to cover their responsibility to have issued a warning so they can't be held accountable for "not having warned us." Generally, they don't even read the warning and look to see what it does, in fact, pertain to. I really have absolutely no problem with their having made the decision to never venture into Mexico; I do, however, have problems with their passing on their knowledge to others as if they actually did know something.

Last edited: