• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Requal

Larry315

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I requal a property with 81,000 StarOption points, do the SPG points that came with that property also become available?

Bill4728

Reaction score
YES,

here is the thread which discuss requalifing. thread

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If I requal a property with 81,000 StarOption points, do the SPG points that came with that property also become available?

If you requal (retro) a resale into SVN then the StarPoints (SPs) associated with the unit/week (VOI) are just like you bought from SVO with all the benefits. Meaning that you can convert the StarOptions (SOs) to SPs, and you can combined the SOs for SVN exchanges.

Mandatory resale do allow for SO exchange via SVN, Voluntary resale does not allow SVN membership for SVN exchanges. So in requalifying (retro) a V unit you can now use SVN for SO exchanges by becoming a SVN member and paying the associated fees ($599 +$99/yr) if you choose. This is a voluntary membership whereas for a M resort it is mandatory to pay these fees (thus the name).

Study up...

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you requal (retro) a resale into SVN then the StarPoints (SPs) associated with the unit/week (VOI) are just like you bought from SVO with all the benefits. Meaning that you can convert the StarOptions (SOs) to SPs, and you can combined the SOs for SVN exchanges.

Mandatory resale do allow for SO exchange via SVN, Voluntary resale does not allow SVN membership for SVN exchanges. So in requalifying (retro) a V unit you can now use SVN for SO exchanges by becoming a SVN member and paying the associated fees ($599 +$99/yr) if you choose. This is a voluntary membership whereas for a M resort it is mandatory to pay these fees (thus the name).

Study up...

so when you requalify a V resort, do you have to pay the $599 to be part of SVN.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you purchase a resale SDO can you pay the $599 to join the SVN system?

NO.

I was able to requalify my SDO resale with a developer purchase. That paperwork shows the DEVELOPER paying SVN a $599 enrollment fee for my SDO property.

This fee is usually charged to folks that originally bought a voluntary resort (like SDO) FROM THE DEVELOPER, but opted at that time to not join SVN.

"Currently," there is no ability for a resale voluntary resort owner to join SVN (and thus pay the $599 enrollment fee), unless of course, it is requalified with a developer purchase. In such case, the developer pays that fee, not you.

I have to qualify that statement with the term "currently," because of SVN's recent drastic changes (for the worse) to its elite program. Its policies (and management) appear to be in an even more state of flux than usual these days, and there is no legal or technical reason why it couldn't just one day start allowing voluntary resort resales into SVN.

Good Luck,
-nodge

Last edited:

Larry315

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO.

I was able to requalify my SDO resale with a developer purchase. That paperwork shows the DEVELOPER paying SVN a $599 enrollment fee for my SDO property.

This fee is usually charged to folks that originally bought a voluntary resort (like SDO) FROM THE DEVELOPER, but opted at that time to not to join SVN.

"Currently," there is no ability for a resale voluntary resort owner to join SVN (and thus pay the $599 enrollment fee), unless of course, it is requalified with a developer purchase. In such case, the developer pays that fee, not you.

I have to qualify that statement with the term "currently," because of SVN's recent drastic changes (for the worse) to its elite program. Its policies (and management) appear to be in an even more state of flux than usual these days, and there is no legal or technical reason why it couldn't just one day start allowing voluntary resort resales into SVN.

Good Luck,
-nodge
Why is it that some SDO resales say they have SO while others do not?

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it that some SDO resales say they have SO while others do not?

Sheraton Desert Oasis (SDO) is a Starwood voluntary resort. People who purchase a voluntary resort directly from the developer get StarOptions. When that original purchaser sells their villa to a third-party (i.e., not transferring it to his or her kids), those StarOptions DO NOT transfer to the third party. Period.

If anyone is representing to you that their SDO StarOptions will transfer on resale, they are wrong.

In contrast, StarOptions from Starwood's Mandatory Resorts transfer to a third-party resale purchaser. Here is a link that identifies which SVN properties are voluntary and which ones are mandatory. Please note that at some SVN resorts (VV, WSJ) early phases are mandatory, but the newest phases are voluntary.

If you want a resale with StarOptions you must buy a mandatory resort. Alternatively, if you buy a resale voluntary resort, you can "requalify" it (meaning SVN will treat it as if you purchased it from them and thereby give you StarOptions, StarPoints, the works) by also purchasing a developer unit (and paying developer prices for that new unit).

Good Luck,
-nodge

Last edited:

Larry315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your answer was helpful.

If I purchase a Starwwod voluntary resort and then requalify it by purchasing from a new property from Starwood, how will I know how many SO and SP I will receive for the voluntary resort?

Do I have to wait until my purchase is requalified?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Your answer was helpful.

If I purchase a Starwwod voluntary resort and then requalify it by purchasing from a new property from Starwood, how will I know how many SO and SP I will receive for the voluntary resort?

Do I have to wait until my purchase is requalified?

If you have a sales person you're working with, you can ask them if you have the unit number and week that the unit is deeded to.

Glorian

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glorian is right, your SVN salesperson will track all of that down for you, but before you get to that point a quick and dirty first step would be to have the seller of the resale property you are considering print out and fax or email you a copy of his "your information" screen on www.mystarcentral.com.

It will show the week number, unit number, contract number, and name of the owner, AND the "weekly StarOptions" and "Weekly StarPoints Value" of the unit you are thinking of buying.

If your seller isn't willing or able to give you that print out, expect problems with your transaction.

Good Luck,
-nodge

Last edited: