• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPM leaving A Place at the Beach III Atlantic Beach NC !!!

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I got a letter in the mail today saying that SPM is not renewing their contract with APATB III Atlantic Beach, NC. I am so happy SPM is leaving. They caused a lot of problems there in my opinion but I do like many of the employees that work there. I think January 31st 2017 is their last day. I am assuming The Board will get a better management company for the future. I reserve my judgement on The Board until I find out who the new management company will be. I hope and pray Festiva is NOT hired !!! :banana::wave::rofl:

Last edited:

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I reread the letter and it appears The Board and SPM did not agree about something

"SPM became aware of certain matters at the Resort that we did not believe to be in the best interests of the owners. We made a full report to the Board. A few days later, we notified the Board that in light of our concerns, SPM was not renewing its contract with the Resort. But we told the Board that we would revoke our termination decision if the Board took certain steps to rectify the matters that SPM had discovered. The Board responded by sending SPM a resolution stating that the Board was not renewing SPM's contract.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
SPM would not talk to me

I called SPM to see what is going on and they would not talk with me about whatever is going on. I tried APATB III and I got the feeling some staff members did not know what is going on so I did not push the issue. I think The Board and SPM are trying to bluff each other to try and get this resolved.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Sounds suspicious

"SPM became aware of certain matters at the Resort that we did not believe to be in the best interests of the owners. We made a full report to the Board. A few days later, we notified the Board that in light of our concerns, SPM was not renewing its contract with the Resort. But we told the Board that we would revoke our termination decision if the Board took certain steps to rectify the matters that SPM had discovered. The Board responded by sending SPM a resolution stating that the Board was not renewing SPM's contract.

You should get to the bottom of this. If SPM uncovered an ethical issue with the Board that they can't live with you should know.

Reactions: Tia

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's back-to-back emails every few days from SPM, then the Board

You should get to the bottom of this. If SPM uncovered an ethical issue with the Board that they can't live with you should know.

November 9 SPM Email

November 9, 2016

Dear Owners at A Place at the Beach-Atlantic Beach III, Inc.:

A number of owners have inquired about SPM’s investigation into irregularities at A Place at the Beach.

SPM provided to the board of directors a full report of our findings. SPM is informed that the board is reviewing the matter with legal counsel.

At this time, SPM is not going to comment further. SPM believes that it is up to the board to inform the ownership of the findings and the board’s actions to address those findings. Owners who wish to contact your Board of Directors may do so by going to the resort website, http://www.aplaceatthebeachhoa.org and clicking on the Board of Directors tab on the left side of the Home page. There, you will find the Boards' contact information so that you may reach out to them directly.

We do want you to know that we are continuing to assist A Place at the Beach in this transition to new management.

Sincerely,

Bill Young
President/CEO
SPM Resorts, Inc.

Yesterday's Board Email

The purpose of this letter is to update you, as a unit owner or interval unit owner, of the current status regarding the management agreement between A Place at the Beach III (hereinafter “APATB III”) and SPM, the management company. For various reasons, APATB III will not be renewing the management contract with SPM.

Rest assured, our property is in the best physical condition it has been in years. Our financial position is much improved. APATB III is in a very strong position to locate and contract with a new management company which will continue to work with the Board to strengthen our financial stability, reduce costs and continue improving our resort.

The decision to not renew the management contract was unanimously adopted by the Board on October 25, 2016, with notification sent to SPM by email and Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. At that point, the Board deemed it necessary to obtain outside professional assistance to conduct an investigation to explore the reasons for the management agreement termination and make independent recommendations regarding future Board actions. Currently, the Board is in the “discovery” stage. At the appropriate time, a full report, based on an independent review, will be released.

Patience is requested during this process. We are grateful to those who have expressed their confidence that the Board’s history is that of serving the best interests of the Association. For those owners who are requesting information, we understand your concerns; however, we ask that you allow the Board to complete its “due diligence” and, upon completion, report its findings and conclusions to the membership.

APATB III Board of Directors

"Rest assured, our property is in the best physical condition it has been in years. Our financial position is much improved. APATB III is in a very strong position to locate and contract with a new management company which will continue to work with the Board to strengthen our financial stability, reduce costs and continue improving our resort."

Something's definitely going on at the resort. The Board admits the resort is the best that it has been in years as far as physical condition and financial position. To me, this is due in large part by SPM taking over the management of the resort. There's been about three emails from each side with neither stating what the heck has brought this on.

I agree, Maple Leaf, that the owners deserve answers, but no one is willing to provide them at this point. The fact that the Board has taken it upon themselves to not renew the management contract, with ethical issues hanging over the resort and no answers provided to the owners, is very disconcerting.

It's starting to feel like the ongoing Peppertree Atlantic Beach management and board BS that owners have experienced the last couple of years.

I stayed at APAB III this past August in my unit for the first time and I was very, very happy with what I saw around the resort and in the unit. I am very dismayed by all these recent emails and no answers.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Thank you for more up to date information

It would be nice for The Board at APATB III to come clean with what is going on but I guess legal liabilities come first. I wish SPM would let us know what they submitted to the Board. We are always in the dark. The Boards seem to represent themselves rather than the owners.

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
Here is what I don't understand. With all the great things that the current management company has done and now just one month or two after the meeting they are now changing management companies. Something sounds extremely off here. I would not think that SPM would just leave or something frivolous. They found something and it must have been bad. I don't think this board is being that transparent. It's up to the board to inform us as to what's going on. We need answers and we need them now. Why did that one board member resign? And I don't think that this discovery stage is nothing more than trying to figure out how to sweep the dirt under the carpet and why is the HOA having lawyers look at this. Didn't the management company already do that. Or is this something the board is trying to figure out how to lay blame? This circus show has been going on for two weeks almost and we as owners don't have answers. :wall::shrug: what's stopping the owners from getting this information I think they are being self serving and not being straitforward. But we can post here all we want nothing is really going to get done. I give the new managment company about 1 year before it all goes to hell again and we have to deal with what we've all dealt with before.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Things have improved greatly at the resort with SPM.

Here is what I don't understand. With all the great things that the current management company has done and now just one month or two after the meeting they are now changing management companies. Something sounds extremely off here. I would not think that SPM would just leave or something frivolous. They found something and it must have been bad. I don't think this board is being that transparent. It's up to the board to inform us as to what's going on. We need answers and we need them now. Why did that one board member resign? And I don't think that this discovery stage is nothing more than trying to figure out how to sweep the dirt under the carpet and why is the HOA having lawyers look at this. Didn't the management company already do that. Or is this something the board is trying to figure out how to lay blame? This circus show has been going on for two weeks almost and we as owners don't have answers. :wall::shrug: what's stopping the owners from getting this information I think they are being self serving and not being straitforward. But we can post here all we want nothing is really going to get done. I give the new managment company about 1 year before it all goes to hell again and we have to deal with what we've all dealt with before.

HOA-controlled resort? It's supposed to be the ideal situation rather than developer controlled. However, this Board must have forgotten what the "O" stands for in HOA. I can't even guess what this is about, but they owe the owners a response now and not later. The longer this goes on, and the secrecy they've chosen in determining that SPM will no longer be the management company, makes things appear very sinister on the part of the Board.

Yes, posting on TUG will have no effect. Just like the debacle that the owners went through, and will continue to go through, at Peppertree; it looks like we're up for the same from the APAB III Board.

HOA-controlled means nothing unless the Board is actually serving the best interests of the owners. Without information being supplied to the owners by the Board, it appears their handling of whatever is going on is indeed self-serving.

At least SPM let the owners know that something was going on at the resort with their first email. The only reason that there was follow-up by the Board is because SPM let the "cat out of the bag" that something serious is going on here. Obviously, their hands are tied in putting everything out on the table.

I just got rid of my Peppertree ownership because of the way the Board failed to communicate with the Owners there. It looks like it's going to be the same with APAB III. I was so thrilled in August when I was at the resort. The thrill has been replaced with extreme apprehension. This is due to the unknown and the dark that the Board wishes to keep us in.

AllSmiles, you stated on TUG that you were able to pick up some extra weeks at Peppertree due to owners selling off at that resort. Looks like a new opportunity might be coming up at APAB.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As an owner, couldn't one request a copy of that report from the board?

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
While you are absolutely correct owners have requested the information several times from the board, but they are acting like this is a monarchy and are refusing to say anything. I thought that the board was for the owners apparently they have lost sight of that. The pieces are falling into place the one board member who resigned. I believe he found something that wasn't right and just walked away and no longer wanted to be associated with something crooked. There's only one thing that makes companies walk away from a resort as big as that place is and it's money. It's always about the money. Was there board members skimming from the funds? I don't know I'm just speculating. But I do remember seeing the board presidents daughter working at the ice hut thing that's down at the pool. And from what I can tell that thing is making some money (kickback maybe) I don't know. I guess no one will really never know since this board is treating us all like mushrooms. It's a shame it's a nice place and that management company has done wonderful things there. I know I've had some run ins with them and I've told them how I felt a couple times but in the end they were right.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about the Resort or its Board. I do know that I used to own at 2 Resorts managed by SPM. At both they did a great job.

George

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me yesterday what I thought was going on....

The pieces are falling into place the one board member who resigned. I believe he found something that wasn't right and just walked away and no longer wanted to be associated with something crooked. There's only one thing that makes companies walk away from a resort as big as that place is and it's money. It's always about the money. Was there board members skimming from the funds? I don't know I'm just speculating.

I stated embezzlement. Only speculation on my part as well. However, as you stated, "...it's money." When folks don't get the information they deserve, then they start speculating. While it may not always be about the money, I agree that it usually is the case.

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
You know when this board took over I did have some gripes but you know you can't please everyone and I realize that. But this situation is really starting to get me very very irate. What gives them the right to sit there and hold back information. I mean if SPM has the information and they gave it to the board then why hasn't the board given up this information. The board has always said they are transparent. But this time I believe something was found out about the board and now the board is not in the discovery stage as they say they are in the covering up stage and who they can blame stage. But hey what I co I'm just a lowly timeshare owner

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
For SPM to leave a resort this late in a mgt year it must be bad news for the HOA or bad mgt decisions by the HOA or the owners are going to be assess with a very large assessment fee for no reason at all. only time will tell this end to this story.

Last edited:

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
What's going to happen is we are going to be back at square one and the board doesn't care because all they wanna do is make this a whole owned resort anyway. I'm not buying another timeshare here I was thinking about it but I have now decided against it. Given the fact that in the letter it stated that activities were going on that were not in the best interest of the owners.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Someone asked me yesterday what I thought was going on....

I stated embezzlement. Only speculation on my part as well. However, as you stated, "...it's money." When folks don't get the information they deserve, then they start speculating. While it may not always be about the money, I agree that it usually is the case.
That's possible, however I'm not surprised that they are conducting a third-party review of SPM's report to the Board. And I'm not surprised the Board is silent until that 3rd-party review is complete. I am surprised that the Board passed a resolution in effect firing SPM before the results of the 3rd-party review were in. That smells like a dead fish that has been on the beach for a few days.

Last edited:

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
Here's my question since we are just having an open discussion. I wonder what a vacant timeshare week rents for? And where does the money go? Does this go back to the TS HOA or is it the HOA itself. I guess it doesn't matter since it all goes to the resort anyway. And I'm starting to wonder if there's money missing myself. I got it some of you are not surprised the board has a third party looking at things. But what differently are they going to find? If that information is from the resort or the systems that are in place that run it then what exactly will they find different than from when SPM completed their internal investigation. And who is paying for the lawyers or these outside people. The board? Oh I know the owners out of their dues. Again I'm just going off what is in all those letters. I guess I'm going to have to get a lawyer and get me a subpoena to request the results from SPM. This is the only way I'm going to get the truth. Because at this point I don't think the board is being truthful about any of this.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Wow! I just booked a week at A place at the Beach for March 2018, I hope the resort is still open then? By the way, what does SPM stand for?
Silentg

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
Wow! I just booked a week at A place at the Beach for March 2018, I hope the resort is still open then? By the way, what does SPM stand for?
Silentg

Sounds like it could be a mistake unless you booked through a rental company and not the resort itself

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I went thru RCI

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
I am wondering when the board is going to have an open forum about all this if at all. I demand there should be a special meeting to discuss all this and the fact that why was this not brought up at the annual meeting. And where was the meeting about firing SPM? And is there going to be any other open forum about who the management companies are in contention? I bet we are not going to get to chose we are just going to be told. I've heard that most of the staff will be leaving and so that really puts us back to square one with a lot of things. This is by far the dumbest thing this board has ever done.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
What SPM has done here at this resort over the last 2-3 years was very impressive. This resort was in really rough shape and had been allowed to go downhill for many years. SPM came in and renovated and the whole place was transformed for the better.

The current staff there has been really outstanding IMO, including the GM, and they have worked really hard to make improvements and add amenities. It will be an even bigger loss if they leave with SPM.

I don't want to rush to judgment, but I am totally mystified by this turn of events. From the outside looking in, it makes no sense to get rid of SPM after the great job they have done. I am assuming there are some longtime owners on the HOA board. They owe it to all the owners to let them know what the issue is.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Oops! I am not booked into this resort. We are going to a Place At The Beach Windy Hill. I went to their Facebook page and contacted someone who stayed there recently. Very helpful. Sorry to intrude on this link. Hopefully you will get management issues resolved.
Silentg

Drinkingbeer

Reaction score
They owe us all answers and they are not giving them. Sounds like a cover-up and if this turns out to be a money thing I'm going to be very upset. And the way this is dragging out its confirming what I suspect