TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by mark201235, Mar 15, 2017.

1. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

Hi,

Was thinking of getting one of these cards for the 50K points that come with it (after initial spending). We fly SW a time or two per year and routinely look for and book the cheapest "wanna get away" fares. Recently booked $64 each way PHL-DEN in January and $64-$92 BWI-FLL last week. My question is are the $$$ fares generally proportionate to the points fares? I ask because it looks like one could get a $500 SW gift card for the 50K points. Wasn't sure if that would be a better way or if it would work out better booking strictly with points.

Thanks,
    Mark

AwayWeGo likes this.
  2. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 98K
    Typically 70 rapid reward points = $1.00

So a point is worth .01428 cents. The 50K sign up bonus is about $714.29 in free air fare. You state WE both you and your spouse can get the sign up bonus. To maximize points if you sign up then refer the other you will get a bonus 5000 points for the referral also.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  3. riverdees05

riverdees05 TUG Member

On their booking site, you can look at ticket prices in $ or points.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  4. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    Check Flyer Talk for more detailed information.

I have that credit card and have made good use of it.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  5. PStreet1

PStreet1 TUG Lifetime Member

Having 110,000 points in one year qualifies you for a free companion pass for the remainder of the year you qualify in plus 100% of the next calendar year. If you get two cards and do the minimum required spending for each card, you'll be very close to qualifying for the companion pass. The Southwest Companion Pass is the best deal out there: free flying for one person (when you use the points you have--for which you paid nothing--or when you pay money) for at least a year + whatever portion of the year remains in the year you qualify.

If you decide to do it, DO NOT put your spouse as a signer on either SouthWest card. You will, no doubt want your spouse to apply for the same deal when your companion pass status is due to expire--and that won't be possible if the spouse has been able to sign on the card(s) you have.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  6. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

1. I was just talking to a friend the other day that mentioned that he signed up for both a personal and business card some time ago. He doesn't own a business and said he simply inserted his name under business name. Approved for both. So, if this is possible it looks like that would be the 110K (50K personal & 60K business) necessary for the companion pass after initial spending of $5K ($2K personal & $3K business). Is this correct? Also, would I just list my rapid rewards number on both applications? I wasn't thinking about the companion pass in the beginning but it looks like a great deal.
    Mark

AwayWeGo likes this.
  7. BocaBoy

BocaBoy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club--Lahaina/Napili Villas; Ko Olina Beach Club; Grand Chateau
    How do you get two cards? It used to be easy but most banks now require business information to issue a business card.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  8. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

I never had a business card, but I frequent the FT SW forum and there is plenty of mention of it there for non business owners. You can also apply for their plus and premium personal cards in order to get 2 for the same person.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  9. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    If 70 pts =$1, then a point is worth 1.428 cents, not .01428 cents.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  10. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    Nice feature of SWA is no charge for changing reservations. Also, reward points used for canceled SWA tickets go back into your reward points account. Money paid for canceled SWA tickets remains available for re-use (to buy more SWA tickets) for 1 year from the date the canceled ticket was purchased. Other airlines charge major money for changing reservations -- so much that sometimes it's cheaper to let canceled tickets go by the board than to pay the fee for changing reservations. SWA's baggage policy is also convenient -- 2 free checked bags per ticket, plus 1 carry-on & 1 personal item per passenger.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

11. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    Separate his & hers SWA Rapid Rewards Visa card accounts.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

12. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

One slight addition. The money paid remains available for the person whose name is on the ticket. It used to be that you could use it for anyone. That was a very nice perk.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  13. PStreet1

But if you separate his and hers, you don't get the Companion Pass. One individual must accumulate the 110,000 points within one calendar year. If you want the other spouse to apply when the first spouse loses companion status, you need to NOT list the spouse as a signer on the cards spouse #1 applies for. When spouse #2 applies, it has to be a "clean" application--no Southwest Rewards cards for the last two years.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  14. PStreet1

Yes, that's correct. You could, theoretically, get two personal cards and one business card.......lots of free Southwest points to use for free flying.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  15. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

I got both the Plus card & Business card. That will be 110K in rewards after initial spending of 5K (which I should be able to do within the first two months. Both in my name solely. We'll see what's offered towards the end of next year. Hopefully, at that point it will be as easy as having my wife do the same to keep the companion pass rolling.

Will I need to have the entire 110K in the Rapid Rewards account (before using any) to qualify for the companion pass, or can I begin to use them as they are put in?

Mark

16. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

Technically - it won't be the end of 2017 that you need to search for something similar under your wifes name it will be the end of 2018 which is when this CP will expire.

You can start booking your flights with the points as you get them then you can just add her as a companion to those flights once you get the CP.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  17. BocaBoy

BocaBoy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club--Lahaina/Napili Villas; Ko Olina Beach Club; Grand Chateau
    You can use them as you go. The 110,000 is the total you earn in the year and has nothing to do with your balance.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  18. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

Received both cards and have met the initial spending requirements for them. First statements close on 4/28 & 5/1 respectively. When should I expect to see the "bonus" points show up in my Rapid Rewards account? Also, how long until I see the companion pass become available? Hopefully soon, because I am ready to book some airfare for an August trip.

Bonuses: Plus card 50K + Business card 60K = 110K for companion pass.

Mark

AwayWeGo likes this.
  19. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

It takes a day or two from statement close to move the points to SW RR account. Then another couple of days for the Companion Pass notification. You can watch your SW account for the CP notification as it will hit there typically a couple of days before the official email.

20. canesfan

canesfan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORVN
    WKORV
    WSJ-BV
    WLR
    It will be quick for your companion pass. You can book your ticket then when you are rewarded the CP, add your CP to your ticket. As long as there is a ticket to be sold on the flight you are booked on, your companion can fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwayWeGo likes this.
  21. PStreet1

We were on a cruise when I read the email that companion status had come through. I called Southwest and asked if my husband's flight home could be changed to companion and the money refunded. No problem. He flew home as my companion and the money was there to be used for a different flight.

AwayWeGo and canesfan like this.
  22. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

My first statement closed yesterday. I met the spending requirement of $2K. I emailed Chase just to ask when I should expect to see the 50K bonus points show up in my SW Rapid Rewards account. Their response;

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding your Southwest
    Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

I am pleased to share that you have met the required spend
    the 50,000 bonus will reflect on your May 25, 2017
    statement. And post 30 days these points will be
    transferred to your Rapid Rewards membership number

To view or redeem your reward points, please visit
    www.southwest.com or call Rapid Rewards Customer Service
    at 1-800-445-5764.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
    Chase customer.

So, should I expect to see these earlier then after next months statement closes? I ask because I'm ready to pull the trigger on some good and cheap flights. I will pay cash if I have to wait that long.

Mark

AwayWeGo likes this.
  23. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Rick will apply for the two SW cards at the end of next year, 2018, and we will do the spend early January for another two years of Companion Pass. It's been great having it this year into 2018. We don't pay for airfare ever now. We have 305,000 points in SW, most was transferred from the UR portal last year. With the CP, you can book points and still get the companion free ($5.60 tax per segment still applies).

24. mark201235

mark201235 Guest

I just checked my SW RR account and the rewards from purchases has already posted, however, not the 50K bonus points. So, if they only post once per month it looks as if I may have to wait until next month to receive the bonus points. On the other hand, maybe they will post the bonus points separately.

AwayWeGo likes this.