• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Companion Pass is back. Get it quick. [Deadline 3/31/17]

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy cow!! I am floored that a big company actually listened like this to its customers.:whooopie::clap::thumbup: I am so appreciative. I will be making the transaction tomorrow morning. :banana::banana::banana:

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I did the transfer on Jan 2. Just got my CP today. Good through Dec 2018! WOOO HOOO

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto--Their computer caught up this morning and allowed me to add the companion name to my account.

Just made my first booking, round-trip between Hartford and Ft Lauderdale.
15,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards Points + $11 for me
$11 for my companion

As described above, you buy one ticket (cash or points as desired), then you go back to "My Flights" and look for a checkbox to add your companion. The checkbox didn't appear immediately on the web page (or maybe I missed it), but it was easy to find and implement on their mobile phone app.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just added my name to Rick's companion pass, and then I booked a flight. We couldn't see place to add me, so Rick had to call. Too bad it required a call today. I think I will wait a day or two to book our other flights.

I will have to figure out a way to get the CP for 2019 and 2020. Maybe just the two SW cards and a minimum spend.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will have to figure out a way to get the CP for 2019 and 2020. Maybe just the two SW cards and a minimum spend.

Over the last few months I have cancelled both my SW cards when their anniversary hit for just this purpose ...planning for 2019 (and the fact that I didn't need them anymore. Who knows if CP will still be around then and how you can earn it, but this is my plan at the moment.

We have held a CP for maybe 5 or 6 years now. Without it, we wouldn't be able to travel like we do.

Just me...but I normally don't add the companion onto the booking right away (unless only a few tickets left) because when you reprice to get lower points cost - you have to cancel the booking of the companion first. Just a bit of a pain.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Over the last few months I have cancelled both my SW cards when their anniversary hit for just this purpose ...planning for 2019 (and the fact that I didn't need them anymore. Who knows if CP will still be around then and how you can earn it, but this is my plan at the moment.

We have held a CP for maybe 5 or 6 years now. Without it, we wouldn't be able to travel like we do.

Just me...but I normally don't add the companion onto the booking right away (unless only a few tickets left) because when you reprice to get lower points cost - you have to cancel the booking of the companion first. Just a bit of a pain.
Also keep in mind, if you pay for early boarding and have a companion pass attached to it. You will lose the early boarding on the companion pass, if you find a cheaper flight and rebook it on your primary ticket. Learned this the hard way....

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Now that my wife is added as my companion, she better keep in line. She steps out of bounds...poof...she's replaced. (I can't back that up. I wouldn't have the courage to make that change.)

lhwhizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many points are needed for 5 night cat 5 travel package. Where can I find that info.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is from the MVCD website:

5-Night Travel Package Rewards for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

5 Nights in Hotel Category Airline Miles / Points
Group 1 50, 000 70, 000 100, 000 120, 000
Group 2 35, 000 50, 000 70, 000 85, 000
Group 3 25, 000 77, 000 110, 000 132, 000

United Airlines
Effective 08/23/13 55, 000 77, 000 110, 000 132, 000

1 - 5 165, 000 185, 000 215, 000 235, 000
6 180, 000 200, 000 230, 000 250, 000
7 200, 000 220, 000 250, 000 270, 000
8 230, 000 250, 000 280, 000 300, 000
(Effective 5/16/2013)

For the most ff miles it would be 235,000 pts, for category 1-5. SW is group 1.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
To find it, go to the owners page and log into your account. Go to: Weeks option; Enrolled owner; Marriott Rewards, at the bottom of that page is Marriott Reward enhancements. In the paragraph you will see a "click here" to learn more about the points packages. Sometimes I get an error prompt when I click it, but I just go back and forth until it opens the page correctly. I hope this helps. :)

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Basics 101 on Southwest and companion pass. I work 10 mikes from Islip but live 15 miles from JFK so I rarely fly SWA. From what I have read on Tug and the internet, can someone validate what I think...

- if you earn 110k rapid reward points in a given year, you earn a companion pass.
- the companion pass is valid in the year you earn it and the following year
- when I fly, a companion can fly free with the companion pass.
- I can use a Marriott Travel Package that gets me 120k rapid reward points either with a 5 day or 7 day package at any level hotel I want (I have the MR points).
- as long as the package transfer it complete before 3/31/17 I will get the companion pass.

If this is the case, it seams like a no brainer.
questions
can the companion pass be used when yiu book a flight using Rapid Rewad points or only when tickets are paid for?
Is the companion pass good for any SWA ticket type?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can use the companion pass even when booking an award flight. So, since you will have 120,000 RR miles from the package, you should be able to fly almost free (you and the companion have to pay the taxes) for the life of that companion pass. All depending on how often you fly and where you go.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are close. Within your bullets
#1: The 110k points you earn within a given year need to be Companion Pass Qualifying points. Not all points that go into your account qualify.
#3: The companion has to pay taxes and fees. Domestic travel is $5.60 one way. International travel can be more, if I recalling returning home from Aruba it was over $50.
#4 - "any level hotel I want". For 270,000 MR points, you get a category 1-5. Here is a chart with all your options: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

To answer your questions:
The CP can be used for any type of booking: cash, SW points, Gift card, etc. The original booking can be any type: Wanna getaway, anytime or business. No matter what type of ticket you have....your companion goes with you.

I suggest you check out the routes from your home airport to ensure SW flies the places you go or want to go to. If they do, then yes....it is a no brainer.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are close. Within your bullets
#1: The 110k points you earn within a given year need to be Companion Pass Qualifying points. Not all points that go into your account qualify.

Does the Marriott Reward Travel package go out in as companion qualifying points?

Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does the Marriott Reward Travel package go out in as companion qualifying points?

Thanks
Yes, that is the whole purpose of this thread. Though you have to convert before 3/31/2017 for it to qualify. After that date, it is gone forever using Marriott Travel Packages.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that is the whole purpose of this thread. Though you have to convert before 3/31/2017 for it to qualify. After that date, it is gone forever using Marriott Travel Packages.

I thought this was the case but when I am asking about travel packages and the reply contains not all points are companion qualifying points, this screams for a clarification question.

Only point unanswered.....to pick a start time..if earned 2/1/2017...is it good through 2/1/18 or through year end 2018.

Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought this was the case but when I am asking about travel packages and the reply contains not all points are companion qualifying points, this screams for a clarification question.

Only point unanswered.....to pick a start time..if earned 2/1/2017...is it good through 2/1/18 or through year end 2018.

Thanks
Through end of year 2018. So it doesn't matter when you do it, as long as it is before 3/31/2017.

lhwhizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you go negative in your MR account for a short while? I want to get the SW pass before it ends in March but I'm 5000. Pts. Short, any way to do that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Can you go negative in your MR account for a short while? I want to get the SW pass before it ends in March but I'm 5000. Pts. Short, any way to do that.
Buy 5000 points. I think it would cost $62.50.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it costs 110k points, then I would need at least 5 roundtrips over the next two years to break even. We typically take 2 pane trips per year and Southwest only recently added two destinations from CVG. Although this is a great opportunity for those traveling frequently, my points can get more value elsewhere.

As I recall, I could transfer points (either Amex MR or Chase points) to Southwest previously, but I noticed neither are transfer partners any more. Was this a recent change? Southwest fares have gone up a lot in recent years, so I don't fly them as much. I prefer the pre-reserved seats with Delta or AA.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If it costs 110k points, then I would need at least 5 roundtrips over the next two years to break even.

You still have the points to use in your account. The 110K for the companion pass is FF miles in Southwest. Those points are very valuable in SW, worth about $1,800 in flights. There are some deals with other airlines, too. Call Marriott and ask.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP thanks for sharing this information.:thumbup:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I recall, I could transfer points (either Amex MR or Chase points) to Southwest previously, but I noticed neither are transfer partners any more. Was this a recent change? Southwest fares have gone up a lot in recent years, so I don't fly them as much. I prefer the pre-reserved seats with Delta or AA.

Amx allows transfer to Starwood points at 1000 amx to 333 Starwood. Starwood allows transfer to MR at 1 to 3. So 45000 amx points will get you 44955 reward points.

I am scheduled for a Marriott sales presentation scheduled locally in Long Island in two weeks. I originally took 300 over 50,000 MR points. I am now changing to taking the points. Living in 30 miles from Islip and 25 from LGA I should be able to take advantage of the champion pass. That to OP and all who have contributed additional information.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
You still have the points to use in your account. The 110K for the companion pass is FF miles in Southwest. Those points are very valuable in SW, worth about $1,800 in flights. There are some deals with other airlines, too. Call Marriott and ask.
Just to clarify, are you saying that with the 110K points I would not only get the companion pass, I would also be able to use the 110k points for future travel for myself? I thought I would have to 'redeem' the 110k transferred points to get a companion pass. Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just to clarify, are you saying that with the 110K points I would not only get the companion pass, I would also be able to use the 110k points for future travel for myself? I thought I would have to 'redeem' the 110k transferred points to get a companion pass. Thanks.
You would be able to use the 110,000 RR for future travel. The 110,000 is the threshold you must earn in order to qualify for the companion pass.