• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smuggs Club Owners To Get Exit Letter Sometime This Week

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope they do something like that because that would work out for owners like us who think it is a bit premature to terminate our ownership, yet we don't want to miss an opportunity to divest easily. We could use it for the next two years and then it would be over. My husband will be 65 by then- I will be 62- and going into retirement soon thereafter.

Important because smuggs is not guaranteeing there will be an offer next year or any of the years going forward. If we could take care of it now and keep using it for two more years, it is a win-win. We only have 3 years of "benefits' left as well- not that we use them anymore. If we are given an offer and it is reasonable and is something like what you have stated, I would consider us lucky.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So, although owners will not be getting all the details about the Smuggs Farewell Program until April 5, I did find out that an owner cannot have already traded a week when giving back their timeshare ownership. If weeks are banked with RCI, they can call RCI to retrieve the weeks as long as they haven't already been exchanged. (Our traded week for 2018 is with Trading Places anyway.)

Anyway, I did find out that they will probably keep the Farewell Program going for 3 years and it was suggested that I do not deposit/trade any of my weeks going forward- like those in 2019. I normally never trade anyway, but it just so happens that our 2018 and 2019 floaters are in November-not a great season at the resort-, which is why I exchanged the 2018 already. I will hold off on depositing/exchanging the 2019 one.

So, barring that the details/costs of the Farewell Program are not outrageous, it is something we will consider in 2019, though we would have liked to wait until 2020 when our benefits expire (although we actually haven't used them in years) and my husband retires .

Of course, there is always the possibility that we could change our minds.:confused:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham does a very good in maintaining their resorts in my opinion. Fees are high but they are not higher that DRI.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Smuggs owners have until 9am TOMORROW (4/6) to join farewell program per email this morning. Owners must be current on fees, have no mortgage and Smuggs is only taking a "limited" number back, based on first come first serve and what you are giving back. If you own fixed and float you need to give both back.

If you own week 7, 51, or 52 in a 2BR+ ski-in/out of course Smuggs Farewell will accept you but you could also sell for a little bit (I know many buyers for those so check out marketplace wanted ads).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Crazy that they are giving people such a tight deadline- but- hey- better than nothing.

The nice thing about the Smuggs Farewell Program is they are not charging any fees at all. More than likely we will participate next year, since we already did a 2018 exchange of our float week and, therefore, am not eligible this round. But the letter did indicate that next years' offer is going to be designed for HOA's delinquent properties. Hopefully we will not have to be delinquent to participate.

Then again, maybe we will change our minds. We at least have another year to think about it. Have mixed feelings as we still love going.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Judging from the Smuggs Owners Facebook page comments, things are not going well for some people who actually replied within the first hour- some as quickly as the first 10 minutes of getting the Smuggs email. Although meeting all the stated criteria in the email from the management, evidently they were still not accepted and were told it was because it was on a first come first serve basis. Owners are baffled as to what other criteria Smuggs might have used and why they did not disclose this criteria before initiating the application process. For example, one woman has a week 31 yearly two week ownership (one fixed and one floater) in the village and was rejected. Another man had an every other even year in West Hill week 34 an he was rejected. One woman had an Aspens week 33 Odd with a floater and she got in for consideration. Another had a West Hill 3 bedroom week 3, fixed and a float, and was rejected and she responded within 10 minutes!

Some people who were rejected said they were offered to be put on a waiting list for a refundable $50 and would be considered next year when they open up the Farewell Program again. Others that were rejected were not made this offer.

One man said he spoke to the resort owner and he stated Wyndham was taking back very few units and that the resort intended to put the take back units in their rental pool.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I thought 24 hours was short but 10 minutes is a farce.
Interesting that Smuggs rolled out new restrictions on owner rentals last year and then introduced a rent through Smuggs program and now Wyndham is buying some high demand weeks to rent? Fishy.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I thought 24 hours was short but 10 minutes is a farce.
Interesting that Smuggs rolled out new restrictions on owner rentals last year and then introduced a rent through Smuggs program and now Wyndham is buying some high demand weeks to rent? Fishy.

I think it is Smuggs that is keeping the week/unitss to rent and Wyndham supposedly taking some weeks/units for it's owners/exchangers. Of course, if you can even believe what management has said.