• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smuggler's Notch in May

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi
I know some of you are owners or have been to Smuggler' Notch, in Vermont. We have a two bedroom on hold with RCI for next May 2018. I have read reviews and checked the website. Can you give me pros and cons of staying? It will be me and DH only.
Thanks,
Silentg

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early May should be fine but FYI from about Mother's Day to Father's Day is considered black fly season in New England. Black flies will swarm you and bite making that time of year unpleasant to say the least! If you must travel during May the coastal areas are a better choice for avoiding them.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Early May should be fine but FYI from about Mother's Day to Father's Day is considered black fly season in New England. Black flies will swarm you and bite making that time of year unpleasant to say the least! If you must travel during May the coastal areas are a better choice for avoiding them.
Is the black fly problem in Vermont? We have love bugs in May in Florida, must be Bugs Holiday?

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, black flies are not strangers to Vermont. I've not been to Smugglers Notch, so can't speak about the resort, but they are in all of northern New England during this time of year. They are also rampant in the Adirondacks in NY as I've experienced first hand. Hopefully, someone who has been to SN will post. Unless you find out otherwise, I would let this one go and look for a later date.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are owners there for 18 years. Nothing goes on at the resort in May. When exactly in May are you going? We have been in Vermont Memorial week and we loved the weather. We actually stayed on Lake Champlain. Do you know what unit you would have? That would matter.

If you are going before Memorial Day the state parks and some other things will still be closed. In fact, the notch could be closed still, making you have to drive the long way around to get to Stowe. Do-able-just longer. You would still be able to walk through the notch to see it if you are so inclined. You can just park your car in the small lot by the entrance and walk.

PS We have also been there in early June and never had any problem with black flies. Not even in May.

Anyway, Stowe is really nice. You could visit Trapp Family Lodge and do the tour. I recommend going to Burlington- lots to do there. If you have passports you could ride up to Montreal- will be a long day- but doable. Lots of little things to see around the Jeffersonville area also. Plenty of restaurants and breweries to go to as well.

All depends on what you like to do. Is definitely off season time there.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score

PS We have also been there in early June and never had any problem with black flies. Not even in May.

All depends on what you like to do. Is definitely off season time there.

We've only been as far as Burlington and Keene Valley in May so if your experience at Smuggs differs maybe OP should reconsider. My favorite time to visit though would really be in the fall.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree. Overall Fall is better than Spring up there. Summer is great as well.