• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shut out in 13 month reservation window first time ever.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
At 12 months rather than call I would make them online. I have found this to be a more reliable way to get the reservation wanted. By the time your call goes through and you start talking someone else can grab that week online. I don't know if this is yet available for 13 month reservations.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm just trying to understand why something I've been able to do for many years is now not possible. I'm being very cordial because I know the CSRs can only see what they can see. The one i just spoke with suggested a supervisor can see what was released today so if that is possible If it's not possible to get then I have to adjust my strategy.

I did speak with a supervisor and they could see units released today but wouldn't tell me how many and just said I got lucky in the past if I always got the week and that nothing has changed. So it is what it is and I'll try for the 12 month window and I have to leave it at that although I still believe something in the dynamic changed that I'll need to adjust to.

Joe, you don't have to "leave it at that [12 month window]." You have the multi-consecutive/concurrent Weeks advantage for the entire month before the 12-mos window opens, and there have been many reports to TUG of owners having success when trying throughout the interim. Keep trying, and good luck!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At 12 months rather than call I would make them online. I have found this to be a more reliable way to get the reservation wanted. By the time your call goes through and you start talking someone else can grab that week online. I don't know if this is yet available for 13 month reservations.

It's not. There is a request form online that you can fill out detailing the specifics of your desired 13-mos multi-consecutive/concurrent Weeks, but those requests are handled by the reps after the telephone queues are handled. MVW suggests very clearly that if you're trying for high-demand intervals you should be calling in as soon as the windows open.

Joe can fill it out today but in his shoes even if I sent the form I would still be calling every day at 9AM. (On owners.marriottvacationclub.com, sign in and click on "Book My Stay" --> "Use My Week" --> select "Occupy - Consecutive or Concurrent" --> complete the form and click "Submit Request.")

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree with you and with David's position that MVW shouldn't be giving the DC a disproportionate number of Weeks intervals, regardless of whether they're high-demand or not. I may have read his post differently than you did, though, because my objection was to his first paragraph which I took as meaning that all Weeks intervals should be available to all Weeks Owners/DC Members (assuming first-come-first-served?) completely disregarding proportionality. So while I agree that they can't act as in your example, i.e. allocating 40/10 high-demand to the DC and 10/40 to Weeks, neither can they act in ways that don't properly allocate intervals according to whether Owners are electing Home Resort usage or something else. (And I agree with you that we're not seeing a reason, specifically in this thread, to believe that they're doing anything other than what they're supposed to be doing as far as proper allocation.)

Another factor to consider is that the Reservation Windows in the Weeks and DC systems do not open on the same day for the same intervals. Generally, the DC windows open days after the Weeks windows. If intervals are not allocated proportionately according to Trust Conveyances and the usage options elected by Weeks Owners, the resulting availability metric would be much more tilted - "illegally" - in favor of Weeks Owners than DC Members.

I think we read his post the same. Based on similar threads in the past, I think David's contention is that the Trust/Marriott is just another owner, and therefore should not have the right to reserve or allocate any proportion of units for Points owners - that general timeshare or real estate laws dictate that it should be first-come-first served for everyone. I think his concern is that they are protecting Points owners to the detriment of Weeks owners, and could even be taking that one step further and skewing the allocation to benefit points owners as noted in my example.

I think there was a theory posted in the past by someone that one reason the Points windows open a few days after the Weeks windows, is so Marriott can reserve their Trust/Exchange Company intervals after the windows open in keeping with Week reservation rules, then make them available to Points owners a few days later. I think David's concern is that if Marriott has the ability to run an automated routine at 9:00:01 when the Weeks are legally released, they have an advantage over other owners who are calling in and can't book in milliseconds. Having said that, I agree with you that I don't see how the Points/Weeks systems could operate together fairly without some allocation system. I would assume that Marriott's lawyers have fully analyzed this and feel they are in full compliance with all timeshare and real estate laws.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think we read his post the same. Based on similar threads in the past, I think David's contention is that the Trust/Marriott is just another owner, and therefore should not have the right to reserve or allocate any proportion of units for Points owners - that general timeshare or real estate laws dictate that it should be first-come-first served for everyone. I think his concern is that they are protecting Points owners to the detriment of Weeks owners, and could even be taking that one step further and skewing the allocation to benefit points owners as noted in my example.

I think there was a theory posted in the past by someone that one reason the Points windows open a few days after the Weeks windows, is so Marriott can reserve their Trust/Exchange Company intervals after the windows open in keeping with Week reservation rules, then make them available to Points owners a few days later. I think David's concern is that if Marriott has the ability to run an automated routine at 9:00:01 when the Weeks are legally released, they have an advantage over other owners who are calling in and can't book in milliseconds. Having said that, I agree with you that I don't see how the Points/Weeks systems could operate together fairly without some allocation system. I would assume that Marriott's lawyers have fully analyzed this and feel they are in full compliance with all timeshare and real estate laws.

Ah. Now I see it, and remember that past discussions looked at it from a different viewpoint that I also didn't understand, because I've always thought that the proportioning was done so as to allow MVW and owners/members an equal crack at availability within the proportions as of the moment a request is being made, rather than any DC-proportioned intervals being pre-determined by check-in date.

Another consideration is that the governing docs for SurfWatch (at least, though I'm not sure about any others) contain wording that prohibits MVCI - and now MVW - from using the 13-mos Reservation Window to book Weeks intervals that it controls. They are expressly limited to booking SW single Weeks at the 12-mos windows. So if they are circumventing any rules that protect the proportionality of Weeks/DC inventory, especially via the method suggested by David and others, you can add this particular prohibition wherever it exists to the list of rules they're breaking.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ah. Now I see it, and remember that past discussions looked at it from a different viewpoint that I also didn't understand, because I've always thought that the proportioning was done so as to allow MVW and owners/members an equal crack at availability within the proportions as of the moment a request is being made, rather than any DC-proportioned intervals being pre-determined by check-in date.

Another consideration is that the governing docs for SurfWatch (at least, though I'm not sure about any others) contain wording that prohibits MVCI - and now MVW - from using the 13-mos Reservation Window to book Weeks intervals that it controls. They are expressly limited to booking SW single Weeks at the 12-mos windows. So if they are circumventing any rules that protect the proportionality of Weeks/DC inventory, especially via the method suggested by David and others, you can add this particular prohibition wherever it exists to the list of rules they're breaking.

Yeah, I don't think we really know how the proportioning is done - whether its done as the requests are being made as you say or by actual pre-determined MVC Trust bookings. Everything has just been speculation.

The MVC Trust is technically not MVCI nor MVW. It is a separate legal entity that owns weeks. It has its own Board, so I'm pretty sure it is legally separate from MVW. So the 13-month prohibition in the SurfWatch resort docs (and presumably others) may not apply to the Trust, since it is just another legal entity that owns weeks. MVW doesn't own the weeks in the Trust - the MVC Trust does. Weeks can be owned by individuals or Family Trusts, so maybe legally the MVC Trust is just considered another type of trust owner.

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was one of those discussions. But even with the 12 month limitation at Surfwatch, that wouldn't stop the automated "front running" (at 9:00:001 AM) for the 12 month weeks, if the system is set up that way. Leaving the one week owner "up a creek without a paddle".

That is why I exited Marriott timeshares and went with Hilton. . . .

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW I could get a reservation using points ... if i wanted to use more than i get per week of course.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW I could get a reservation using points ... if i wanted to use more than i get per week of course.

That's not a surprise, just as it's not a surprise that there is generally better availability using Points in the DC than Weeks in II at the HHI resorts during high seasons. Maui/HI Owners who enroll their Weeks get a good amount of DC Points when they elect to convert just as the HHI Plat season Weeks Owners do. As you say with the skim it's not enough to book the same Week interval using Points but often converting to DC Points is a better value than exchanging in II, because exchanging out of high-demand HHI and HI resorts often means a downgrade in II (especially when you're talking 3BR units.) And getting back to your OP, when enrolled Weeks are converted to Points those intervals and their owners leave the Weeks playing field and get in the Points game.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How can you know for sure? Points inventory isn't released until tomorrow.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I don't think we really know how the proportioning is done - whether its done as the requests are being made as you say or by actual pre-determined MVC Trust bookings. Everything has just been speculation.

The MVC Trust is technically not MVCI nor MVW. It is a separate legal entity that owns weeks. It has its own Board, so I'm pretty sure it is legally separate from MVW. So the 13-month prohibition in the SurfWatch resort docs (and presumably others) may not apply to the Trust, since it is just another legal entity that owns weeks. MVW doesn't own the weeks in the Trust - the MVC Trust does. Weeks can be owned by individuals or Family Trusts, so maybe legally the MVC Trust is just considered another type of trust owner.

Now there's another lightbulb moment from you that I hadn't ever considered! Doh!

The docs for SW also prohibit booking by "bots" and other automated systems, for whatever that's worth. I think like you do that the MVW legal department has been careful and is complying with whatever regulations they're required to follow, if only because it doesn't make any sense for them to not comply. As designed both the Weeks and Points systems give MVW plenty of options and a very good revenue source; they don't have to be out of compliance in order to get what they need from the systems they designed. Plus it's fairly apparent that they have a lot more to lose collectively than we do individually by acting illegally, and I just don't expect them to be that blatantly stupid.

Neither do I expect them to ever be completely transparent about inventory allocation, not because I think they're doing it wrong but because it goes against all business sense for them to arm their adversaries with knowledge that they're not required to disclose. IMO when it comes to owners digging into the details on sites like TUG, there is no doubt that we oftentimes make it a very adversarial relationship.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Yes, this is correct. My point has always been, and I'm confident from a legal standpoint, that the DC system cannot alter the underlying usage rights of all owners (including the trust). [Frankly, I think the DC system violates the CC&R's prohibition on commercial activity, but that's another topic.] So, whatever the trust's rules are with its members, its can't distribute weeks, days, or whatever to its members in exchange for points until its RESERVES those weeks just like any other owner. It would be illegal if it used an automated system that regular owners don't have access to.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I don't know where this whole proportiong idea comes from. If I just happened to own 10% of the weeks in my season (and hold them in a trust and dole them out to friends and family according to my rules) do you think Marriott would automatically give me reservations "in proportion" to that 10%, or would they make me call or go online to reserve the intervals I want like everyone else? We all know the answer to that. So why does Marriott get to do it (if in fact they do as has been reported)?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you know for sure? Points inventory isn't released until tomorrow.
The CSR looked it up and told me but I don't really know what he was looking at. I did mention any late Jan or any Feb week so he was probably referring to that.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know where this whole proportiong idea comes from. If I just happened to own 10% of the weeks in my season (and hold them in a trust and dole them out to friends and family according to my rules) do you think Marriott would automatically give me reservations "in proportion" to that 10%, or would they make me call or go online to reserve the intervals I want like everyone else? We all know the answer to that. So why does Marriott get to do it (if in fact they do as has been reported)?

I don't know if I'm saying it correctly but here's how I think things have worked/are working in practice.

First, prior to the DC inception, assuming 100 same resort/same size unit/same season Weeks with 80 sold and 20 still held by MVCI. These 100 Weeks are the result of ten like units on property with the seasonal calendar running 10 weeks, which allows for 8 units each of the 10 weeks to be allotted to Owners and 2 each Week to be allotted to Marriott. For purposes of the 12- and 13-mos Reservation Procedures, this allows for 5 like units to be held back for the 12-mos window while the other 5 like units can be booked prior to the 12-mos windows as parts of concurrent/consecutive-interval bookings.

In the simplest metric the 80 owned Weeks are booked by Owners and the 20 held by MVCI are used as lodging for Preview stays. In the most convoluted metric MVCI as the management company has to account for and apportion Weeks by factors such as which Owners are and are not eligible for the 13-mos window, Owners exchanging out through II, Owners ineligible to use their Weeks due to mortgages/mf's in arrears, Owners who don't follow the Reservation Rules resulting in MVCI gaining unbooked intervals, eligible Owners electing MRP's, Owners simply not using their Weeks, and any number of other things that I'm not thinking of. Over all the years when Weeks were the only game in town MVCI wasn't completely transparent about inventory allocation but what they did say was that their allocation was fine-tuned as best it could be to the point that like units were spread out over the available check-in days, and we didn't automatically assume that they were acting out of compliance when we weren't able to book our first choice of home resort stays.

Now comes the DC and MVCI's separation from MI, re-branding as MVW. The same 100 like intervals still exist but Owners now have an array of DC-related options via enrolling their Weeks that didn't exist before, some of the intervals are conveyed to a Trust, and MVW's responsibility as the Management Company is to allocate inventory such that the usage rights of Weeks Owners (enrolled and un-enrolled) and Trust Members are protected. If I'm reading you correctly you think that means the Trustee must conform to the Reservation Procedures for Weeks on the same basis as every other Weeks Owner, effectively pre-designating specific intervals by check-in date for usage by DC Members. I think differently, that MVW can in advance of the Reservation Windows opening, pre-designate the proportional number of intervals that will be available for Weeks Owners using their 12- or 13-mos windows, DC Members using their applicable windows, MRP stays, cash stays, II exchanges, etc etc etc, but that MVW doesn't pre-designate any specific intervals to DC usage instead releasing it as it's requested by eligible DC members.

I think that the Weeks Reservation Procedures and the DC Trust and Exchange Procedures governing docs allow MVW the leeway to manipulate the inventory in such a way that after the Reservation Windows are open, the over-riding first-come-first-served mandate is protected so long as MVW doesn't release too many Weeks into either the Weeks system or the DC system. In that way, the inventory is properly proportioned on an ongoing basis but the DC Members aren't limited to only the intervals which the Trustee can successfully reserve. What I see is that they've implemented safeguards to ensure that if 40 of the existing 80 Weeks Owners in my example have not elected other usage and are in good standing, then no more or less than 40 like intervals will be available to them on the same f-c-f-s basis. Sure, the DC introduces all kinds of metrics that didn't exist before, that make a simple scenario all but impossible, but that doesn't automatically equate to MVW needing to be out of compliance in order to make it work.

Since the DC introduction, MVW has tried to assure Weeks Owners and DC Members that they are as committed to proper inventory allocation as MVCI always had been, that careful consideration was given during the DC design process to ensure that the rights of Weeks Owners were of primary importance. And notably, they've continued to say that their allocation metrics still are fine-tuned right down to proportionally allocating check-in days. If they didn't allocate proportionately, how could any of that be possible? If they hadn't been able to protect Weeks Owners' rights while simultaneously allowing Weeks to be integrated in the DC via the DC Exchange Company, then the regulatory agencies wouldn't have approved MVW's introduction of the DC as is. Instead MVW would have been forced to introduce the DC as wholly separate from the existing Weeks program, allowing for no integration between the two. But we, at least here on TUG, are so much less willing to accept those reassurances since the DC inception. I don't get it.

I know that anything is possible and MVW may very well be doing nefarious things that I haven't even thought of, or that my read on all this is so far off base it's out of the park entirely. But always I go back to, what would be the point of them doing anything that would put their business at such a high level of risk? That just doesn't make sense when the products they do have, their co-existing systems that have been approved by the regulatory agencies, allow their business a healthy revenue source while they're delivering to Weeks Owners and DC Members the usage rights that they've been promised.

Sorry, this is another novel. If I could figure out how to use fewer words and say the same thing then I'd do it, but I think we're in agreement that a complex system can't be explained with simplicity. (Still, I'm sure some TUGger will come along and do a better job of it than I have. No doubt I have many more "DOH! Why didn't I think of that?!" moments ahead of me.)

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I couldn't get a measily reservation at Manor Club Original for Thanksgiving at either 13 months or 12 months I came to the conclusion that MVCI is definitely doing something illegal with the inventory. Not just thanksgiving but literally the entire months of Oct and Nov not available at any point. In my case points reservations were available according to a few Tuggers that checked. A supervisor gave the explanation that it was such a high demand time that everything was booked in mere seconds. Complete hogwash. I was so ticked off.

I later very easily exchanged in II using cheap non-Marriott units. I got three units for Thanksgiving several weeks later.

Weeks owners are generally more savvy at reserving early. I wonder if Marriott is performing dummy reservations to block weeks owners from taking the available inventory. Possibly under the names of "related" parties.

I would wager that we are going to hear more of these occurrences. It reminds me of a sales presentation a few years ago at Oceana Palms. "Marriott's goal is to control the inventory". It was in reference to the rights of weeks owners. I took it with a grain of salt at the time and still do but this whole thing reminds me of that statement.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After I couldn't get a measily reservation at Manor Club Original for Thanksgiving at either 13 months or 12 months I came to the conclusion that MVCI is definitely doing something illegal with the inventory. Not just thanksgiving but literally the entire months of Oct and Nov not available at any point. In my case points reservations were available according to a few Tuggers that checked. A supervisor gave the explanation that it was such a high demand time that everything was booked in mere seconds. Complete hogwash. I was so ticked off.

I later very easily exchanged in II using cheap non-Marriott units. I got three units for Thanksgiving several weeks later.

Weeks owners are generally more savvy at reserving early. I wonder if Marriott is performing dummy reservations to block weeks owners from taking the available inventory. Possibly under the names of "related" parties.

I would wager that we are going to hear more of these occurrences. It reminds me of a sales presentation a few years ago at Oceana Palms. "Marriott's goal is to control the inventory". It was in reference to the rights of weeks owners. I took it with a grain of salt at the time and still do but this whole thing reminds me of that statement.
One questions which bucket does II inventory come from? It should only be from weeks owners who successfully reserved these weeks and deposit into II.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
One questions which bucket does II inventory come from? It should only be from weeks owners who successfully reserved these weeks and deposit into II.

DC Points members can also exchange DC points for exchange rights in II. For example, 3000 DC points can be exchanged for an II exchange into a 1BR with a TDI of 140-150; for 4500 DC points you can get a 2BR with a 140-150 TDI. There is a chart that outlines all the TDI/unit size combinations. If a point owner did that, then Marriott would, I assume, be obligated to give II a week from the Trust or DC Exchange Company with a similar TDI.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DC Points members can also exchange DC points for exchange rights in II. For example, 3000 DC points can be exchanged for an II exchange into a 1BR with a TDI of 140-150; for 4500 DC points you can get a 2BR with a 14-150 TDI. There is a chart that outlines all the TDI/unit size combinations.
True, but in this case, DC would not deposit a prime week into II, right?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There could also be inventory in II from unreserved inventory on short notice. Marriott has also bulk banked in the past with unsold inventory. They still do similar things today, but usually much closer to checkin.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There could also be inventory in II from unreserved inventory on short notice. Marriott has also bulk banked in the past with unsold inventory. They still do similar things today, but usually much closer to checkin.
In the above post, it was reported that the same Thanksgiving weeks were available in II several weeks later and exchanged with non-Marriotts for 3 Thanksgiving weeks. Those would not be late deposits. I feel that it may not deliberate but a bug in Marriott reservation system that is causing major issues to week owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
True, but in this case, DC would not deposit a prime week into II, right?

I'm not 100% sure, but I would suspect that II would expect a like-for-like exchange from Marriott. So if an owner exchanged 4500 DC points for a 150 TDI 2BR unit, then I would expect II would want Marriott to deposit a similarly high demand, high TDI week. I guess it would depend to some extent on what you mean by "prime" week, but 150 TDI weeks are the highest demand, prime season weeks. But if by "prime" week you mean a cream of the crop holiday week, maybe the agreement with II doesn't require that Marriott give II the tip-top holiday weeks, but I would certainly expect that II would at least expect a prime season week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I would suspect that II would expect a like-for-like exchange from Marriott. So if an owner exchanged 4500 DC points for a 150 TDI 2BR unit, then I would expect II would want Marriott to deposit a similarly high demand, high TDI week. I guess it would depend to some extent on what you mean by "prime" week, but 150 TDI weeks are the highest demand, prime season weeks. But if by "prime" week you mean a cream of the crop holiday week, maybe the agreement with II doesn't require that Marriott give II the tip-top holiday weeks, but I would certainly expect that II would at least expect a prime season week.
Yes, that is what I meant, just one that satisfies the TDI, and not necessary the holiday weeks. Or it could be "proportional".

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Couldn't Marriott also just deposit two 75 TDI weeks to satisfy the 150 week that was pulled out?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Couldn't Marriott also just deposit two 75 TDI weeks to satisfy the 150 week that was pulled out?

Perhaps. I guess it depends on how their agreement is worded and what terms they negotiated with II. I would expect that II would prefer one higher TDI week rather than two lower ones since I guess they get more requests for the higher demand weeks, but that's something we'll never know without access to info on the negotiated business relationship between II and Marriott.