• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I cancel the Wyndham Discover before my monthly payments start? Need help.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
None SHOULD lie, but all DO lie...

I am definitely going to write to Wyndham because the sales reps shouldn't lie the way this one did. I guess he saw a sucker and took advantage of it.

Don't be too hard on yourself; lying, deceitful developer sales weasels are the rule, not the exception.
These hungry weasels are expert and well experienced in manipulating the truth and twisting the facts.
They will say virtually anything to make the sale, knowing full well that the only things they can ultimately be held accountable for is the actual written content of the sales contract itself. Everything else out of their lying mouths is just so much meaningless background noise floating around in the air...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, disneycrazy01, you bought yourself a vacation. So as I said back yonder, on the day you can book it, call the number they provided you and tell the nice person that if the sales staff wants a crack at you again, it's gonna take a summer week at Bonnet creek. Maybe all you can get is 5 days, but remember- everything is negotiable. I suspect they have a way to appease you.

Go. Have a great vacation. You will have a succession of calls or 'requests' to attend sales session(s). Stick to your talking points. When the time nears, print some Wyndham resale ads from eBay and the Marketplace showing realistic prices. Buy nothing. They will eventually come to realize that you are an educated consumer (thanks to hanging out in TUG) and will back off.

Bottom line, you will have a nice vacation. It won't be free, but compared with the title line of this thread wherein you toss out the idea of default that would surely wreck your credit, it's the best outcome you can hope for.

Jim Ricks

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
Called Wyndham - waste of time

I know I am stuck with the Wyndham Discover and I am going to have to make the best out of a bad situation, but I called Wyndham anyway. The call was of no use. They won't tell me how to get in touch with the sales rep. I am going to write a letter to them, but my call got me no where.

They did tell me that if I wait untik the 60 day point, I can purchase points -- up to the points in the Discover package I purchased at $10 per thousand points that way I can get the 2-week vacation I want. I told them that I want to try Bonnet Creek and stay in a 1-bedroom and he said that getting a 1-bedroom wouldn't be a problem waiting until May so I could buy the extra points.

I tried to hint to them that I am really considering purchasing a timeshare -- I NEVER WILL BUY FROM WYNDHAM DIRECTLY -- he didn't offer anything. I will use the points for whatever I can get at Bonnet Creek and just go to another hotel or rent points from a person who has a timeshare as suggested on this site.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I wish I would have known before I went on the presentation. I would have given the sales rep a hard time that he would have asked me to leave.

I'm not a sucker any more thanks to this site.

Don40

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DisneyCrazy - Bonnet Creek is a beautiful resort and you will have to plan ahead for your July vacation at the 10 month mark you can reserve your room for the days that your points will stretch to and wait to rent the extra points to complete your weeks. (Normally Bonett Creek requires the same points as Star Island and Cypress Palms)
To me even if it cost more BC is significantly a better resort if ou have kids. It is also much larger.
Don

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification...

They did tell me that if I wait untik the 60 day point, I can purchase points -- up to the points in the Discover package I purchased at $10 per thousand points that way I can get the 2-week vacation I want.

To be clear, purchasing additional points from Wyndham to complete a desired reservation is an option (albeit a somewhat expensive one) which is availabale to any and all Wyndham members.

You may well know this fact already, but I wanted to clarify it just in case this option was somehow presented by the Wyndham spokesperson as some sort of "bonus" or "act of benevolence" on their part.
In point of fact, it is neither one...

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
What would be the best way to get close to 2 weeks?

Which would be the best way for me to get a 2 week vacation? I would like to go for 1 week at Bonnet Creek and 1 week at Star Island. Should I book whatever number of days I can at Bonnet Creek using the 154,000 points I have and wait until the 60 day mark and purchase 12,000 ponts from Wyndham directly to make it a week? A week at Bonnet Creek in a one-bedroom costs 166,000 points. Then I will try to rent from someone mentioned on this site to get a week at Star Island.

Is there a difference in the cost of renting a week from someone at Bonnet Creek compared to Star Island or would it be about the same?

I can also use the points I have to get about 8 or 9 days at Star Island and then try to rent from someone mentioned on this site to rent a week at Bonnet Creek? I know this way I will be extending it by a day or two.

Any advice will help.

rrlongwell

Reaction score

I would use all points at Star Island. Configure them in such a way that they cover at least one weekend. Then rent the balance from Wyndham or rent them. If you rent a week look at tugs, redweek, traditional rental cites on line i.e. Priceline etc. I would not use E-Bay. If you wait until 60 days you may not get into either resort in the Summer for that portion of the trip. I understand Hotels.com has been bought by the Wyndham empire. I checked its' site and they have some very good nightly rates in Orlando for June 2012. The site indicated that cancelations are accepted. You might want to supplement your Discovery package that way. If what you what becomes available under 60 days then just cancel the Hotel reservations. Nice list of Hotels/Resorts listed, a lot of them do not appear to by Wyndham properties.

Last edited:

Shelbyd95

Reaction score
Hi...I hope you can make the most of your vacation. I sent you a PM about your Wyndham CS called. Try to press them for what you were promised. Ask if they can do anything for you without it costing more $$.
As far as going to the owners updates/sales pitch...I wouldn't do it unless you think you could definately say no. We have been to at least 4 of the Wyndham ones (the ones I can remember - 2006, 2 times last year and once this year) so we have no problems with saying no but I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart:) You may have a momentary lapse of good judgement:doh:

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Just my opinion here. I am a new owner but have been watching the weeks and point values very carefully to see when they are discounted and such as I have been trying to rent out my unused points and make the most out of my points in general.

If you wait until the last minute you would be able to get something. Right now next week at BC which is high season (not prime like July) has points discounted by 35%. So a 1BR next week would only run 81,000. Now if you cut that back to 6 nights checking in Sunday it drops down to 65,000 pts (in a 1BR) so with 154K points you could technically get 2 six night stays plus if you play your points right.

i was watching July this year for a friend and the first week was tough with 4th of July but towards the end of the month the points dropped off to a little over 100K points (for a 1BR at BC) for a weeks rental under the 30 day mark and yes there was availability.

As far as renting out from someone else. Everyone is different. If you rent from a VIP you may get better discounts. I am not and when I rent I rent the proportionate amount per point based on my annual maintenance. So if you rented from me I would charge .00511 times the number of points needed plus any other costs like if I had to pay for additional housekeeping points or a guest certificate. I am not looking to make money but just to cover my costs for the unused points.

coastguy32

Reaction score
To the O.P.
If i understand correctly, you purchased a discover package from wyndham, which will allow you to use 154,000 points to stay in a wyndam resort? Do you know what it costs for someone stay in a hotel room in orlando during the month of july as you said is when you want to go?
You are upset because the sales rep told you that you could get two weeks out of this package in F.L. in july, but you dont think you can so he just lied to you? Did you ask him to show you how while you were there before signing anything? Did you tell him specifically what resort, and how many bedrooms you would need? Reason i ask is because you said that this rep told you that you could call in and buy more points within 10 days.... Was there not a larger points package you could have bought while you were there?
Do you have to pay a maintenance fee for the duration of this contract?

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
Response to CoastGuy 32

The sales rep said that I could purchase a bigger package if I wanted it, but he never said that it had to be done within 10 days. While I was there I didn't consider purchasing a larger package because he had said that we could get 2 weeks with the package I was purchasing.

I usually stay on Disney property at one of their value hotels, such as Pop Century and for more than a week. The total cost for the Discover Package for me will be $1500 once it is paid off and it turns out that I am lucky if I get a week's vacation in July out of it.

The sales rep had us so hyped on a vacation at one of the Wyndham resorts that I didn't think of asking him to prove it. I guess I believed him when he said we could get 2 weeks in July and at the time I was thinking he meant 2 weeks at Star Island - where we were. There is no way we could even get 2 weeks at Star Island in a 1-bedroom deluxe-A (full kitchen and balcony).

I know I am blaming the sales rep for lying - it was my stupidity and I fell for his song and dance, but he should have been honest about what type of vacation we could get - the length of the vacation. If he would have told me that I could only get a week - if that much - I wouldn't have made the purchase or maybe I would have bought a bigger package right then and there.

He didn't give us the member directory until all the papers were signed and I was on my way out. I walked out of the presentation with the false knowledge that we were getting at least a 2 week vacation at Star Island. If I thought otherwise, I would have looked at the member directory and I would have gone back to see the sales rep the following day. I was on vacation enjoying myself that I didn't even think that it was all a lie.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that this is coastguy32's one and only post on TUG - my guess is that he is a TS sales person. Take his post with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Please note that this is coastguy32's one and only post on TUG - my guess is that he is a TS sales person. Take his post with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

I agree with Denise. Who takes any post like that one seriously, especially when it's a first post. It's eerily familiar. Think Eric, Marriott salesman, who posted here and was very slanderous.

I am Disney crazy too. Even though we are on Maui right now, I sometimes wish we were at Disneyworld this vacation. So much more to keep me occupied at Disney. :p

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
It does sound like CoastGuy 32 is a TS sales rep

When I responded to his post I didn't even look to see that he just registered today and that was his first posting. His posting did make it seem like I was the one that was wrong for saying that the sales rep lied.

The presentation was supposed to be 90 minutes and I was there for 4 hours. I believed the sales rep. Maybe if he would have showed me the Discover Members Directory I would have realized that I could only get a week with the 154,000 points - if I am lucky to get a week and I wouldn't have made the purchase.

He used the fact that my niece and nephew were there and they were so hyped on this type of vacation and that they were trying to convince me to buy a timeshare. The sales rep should be honest.

When I left the presentation I was happy I purchased the Discover Package. I was convinced that I was going to give my family a 2-week vacation at a nice resort next summer and I was really considering purchasing a timeshare. But once I got home and realized the 2-week vacation was a lie, and it was too late to cancel, it really turned me against purchasing a timeshare.

I will use my 154,000 points on whatever type of vacation I can get, but Wyndham won't get another penny from me. No timeshare purchase - nothing. I would rather rent or go back to a Disney hotel - value hotel and have a good time. No more dealing with sales weasals for me. No more timeshare presentations for me -- or maybe I will go back on a Wyndham timeshare presentation just to give the sales reps a hard time on how they lie.

I hope the sales rep that convinced me to buy this Discover Package is still there - I wouls really enjoy seeing him try to seel a package to me again. I will ask him to prove every lie that comes out of his mouth. I will give them a run for their money. They will be happy if i don't purchase.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I think the above posts are probably right, that is how I interpreted it. It has a very nasty uncalled for tone. The questions asked of you are not necessarily your burden when a salesperson is making representations to you. In watching the negative posts on TUGs pertaining to sales practices coming out of Mrytle Beach and a very recent one indicating that they told the person that they were toning down there tactics (my wordsmithing, please refer to the post directly of earlier today on one of the threads) because of complaints. It appears that enough people share their presentations with others on TUGs, Wyndham may be may tone down some of the more outragous sales pitches. Keep on posting. I am very interested in how the Discovery pitches work out.

coastguy32

Reaction score
Sorry to dissapoint some of you, but i do not sell that type of real estate. Nor do i own a timeshare. I have several friends and some family members that do own with different companies, and they have told me alot about how it works or doesnt work. One of my close friends bought resale for what seemed pretty cheap and told me to check out ebay because thats where i could pick one up for almost nothing. So ive been researching and trying to decide what way to go as far as company and fee's etc.

coastguy32

Reaction score
I am also interested in this discover package. Because if the O.P. only gets one week out of the discover points in orlando than i dont see why he/she is so upset.

I think the above posts are probably right, that is how I interpreted it. It has a very nasty uncalled for tone. The questions asked of you are not necessarily your burden when a salesperson is making representations to you. In watching the negative posts on TUGs pertaining to sales practices coming out of Mrytle Beach and a very recent one indicating that they told the person that they were toning down there tactics (my wordsmithing, please refer to the post directly of earlier today on one of the threads) because of complaints. It appears that enough people share their presentations with others on TUGs, Wyndham may be may tone down some of the more outragous sales pitches. Keep on posting. I am very interested in how the Discovery pitches work out.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am also interested in this discover package. Because if the O.P. only gets one week out of the discover points in orlando than i dont see why he/she is so upset.
One week's vacation for $1,500 + is pretty expensive for me. I don't see this discovery package as anything but a ripoff. Maybe if $1,500 was an oceanfront week on Maui.

coastguy32

Reaction score
Have you ever looked to see how much a hotel room in orlando costs per night during the summer?

One week's vacation for $1,500 + is pretty expensive for me. I don't see this discovery package as anything but a ripoff. Maybe if $1,500 was an oceanfront week on Maui.

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
Response to CoastGuy 32

I have taken several vacations to Florida - Orlando in particular. The hotels I have stayed at weren't resorts, but they had a nice pool and they were clean. You can book some hotels at some reasonable prices, even Disney hotels. My family has really enjoyed staying at Pop Century. For the $1500 that I am spending on the Discover Program I can stay on Disney Property -at a Disney hotel for at least 10 days or more.

The Discover Package - 154,000 points doesn't even get me a week at Bonnet Creek in Orlando. When my family has to fly somewhere on vacation, we want to go for at least 2 weeks.

The Wyndham Discover Program limits you to certain Wyndham resorts. Most of the resorts cost more than 154,000 points for a 1-bedroom deluxe (full kitchen and balcony). Most of the resorts book up very fast by actual timeshare owners that there is limited space for a person with a Discover Package.

There is also a big disadvantage to the Discover Program - the points are only good for 1 year. If I can't find a resort that I want to go to, I lose the 154,000 points - meaning I lost $1500. I can't take a vacation at any other time of year.

If I knew everything that I am learning from this site and others before I purchased the Wyndham Discover I would have never purchased it. I can rent from an owner for less that what I am spending.

This Discover Program is a ripoff.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, but...

Have you ever looked to see how much a hotel room in orlando costs per night during the summer?

I have absolutely no interest in Disney (or anything else in or near Orlando), but I nonetheless submit that comparing a hotel room to a full condo unit is tantamount to comparing old spinach to fresh apples.

Personally, I choose to own, utilize and enjoy full condo timeshare facilities in order to avoid spartan cookie cutter "hotel rooms", so a cost comparison of the two is (...to me, anyhow) both pointless and irrelevant.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sorry to dissapoint some of you, but i do not sell that type of real estate. Nor do i own a timeshare.

If you aren't in the business, and you don't even own a timeshares, I find it odd that you would come here and post criticism and advice, on your first day on the website...

Despite your protests, and from the things you've posted, I'm quite sure you are in some form of timeshare related sales. Your post about one's heirs inheriting one's timeshare, and the burden it will be on them, was especially telling - and inaccurate. It's the same story we here from the upfront fee "Recovery Companies."

Last edited:

persia

Reaction score
Always check Ebay, both for rental weeks and for buying Wyndham points. A lot of people make a business out of booking weeks in a Wyndham timeshare and selling the booking on eBay.

I knew someone who did the credit card cancelation trick and Wyndham shat on his credit rating. He was eventually able to challenge the debt off his report when Wyndham resold it to bottom feeders, but he had several years of bruised credit, which probably cost him more in higher interest than the Discovery program would have and he didn't get a vacation out of it....

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
A discovery program purchase is not the end of the world...if nothing else, it's a recoverable TS mistake and it does let you taste the system a bit.

Be real folks...most of us made a financial mistake or two in our time...thinking on it, that's kind of why I'm here! :hysterical:

On the good news side...$1,500 isn't the $15-$20,000 that those points probably cost retail. All in all, not as bad as it could have been.

My advice? Go check out the system...maybe consider a different resort and save your Disney Vaca for another day. I know, not what you wanted but sometimes you just have to adjust to a new reality.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A discovery program purchase is not the end of the world...if nothing else, it's a recoverable TS mistake and it does let you taste the system a bit.

Be real folks...most of us made a financial mistake or two in our time...thinking on it, that's kind of why I'm here! :hysterical:

On the good news side...$1,500 isn't the $15-$20,000 that those points probably cost retail. All in all, not as bad as it could have been.

My advice? Go check out the system...maybe consider a different resort and save your Disney Vaca for another day. I know, not what you wanted but sometimes you just have to adjust to a new reality.

Good advice. For an owner to rent that amount of points from Wyndham it would be $1540. The $1500 you paid goes towards the free gift, commission, risk of default and the points. Also can be applied to a future purchase which I highly suggest you do not do.