• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy at Smugglers Notch?

mrsmarc

Reaction score
I am new here. We are considering a resale at Smugglers Notch for$1500. It's 2 weeks. One red summer week and a floating week alternating between spring and fall every year. Maintenance fees are $1500. Is this a good deal? Also, does anyone know Anything about the "Balsams" at Smugglers Notch"? Nice? Old? Need updating? I would really appreciate any input. Also, can anyone recommend a closing company? I called one who wanted $500.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We have stayed at the Balsams. We had a 3 BR. This is a 2BR with an lockout bedroom/bath. They share an entry, which is where the washer/dryer are located. It is not as new as some of the other units...but we were happy there. It is located close to the new Funzone, and is also close to the Courtside Pool. You won't have to drive to those. The building has elevators (not all of the buildings at Smuggs do) which makes it nice for lugging stuff in and out. The kitchen and dining area are good sized. The lockout bedroom has a king, I believe, and a full bath. The 2nd bedroom has a queen and two twins. It is a little cramped, but is fine for kids. There is a bath in the hall between kitchen and this bedroom. The master is huge...king bed, Jacuzzi in the bath, etc. Very nice. There aren't really any mountain views from here...but we really enjoyed being close to things in the village, and the pool/funzone. We'd stay there again with no problem! Good luck as you decide!

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just purchased a summer week in a Villmarksauna unit. It is an older building right in the village. The resort actually sent me photos of the specific unit that I purchased so I could verify sleeping arrangements. I will say, the reason that I went with the Villmarksauna was because it is a fixed summer week (29) with an OPTIONAL float week. I only pay MF on the float if I call in and there is one I would like to reserve. I did not like the idea of paying MF on a random float week that I knew I wouldn't use and I would have to trade. This way, I can choose my own float and only pay for it if I want.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The Balsams are an older building but certainly not the oldest. It is convenient to everything as it is in the village. I would suggest calling the resort and asking if they can take a picture of the specific unit you are buying. They are very accommodating and helpful.

Try using LT transfers for the closing. Or- ask the resort (owners services) about an atty in Jeffersonville that I believe they deal with.

I own a fixed week and floater. The only drawback with a floater is you have to either be able to use the off-season week or you will need to trade it, through RCI or another exchange company). You have to pay the maintenance fees on it no matter what. We have owned since 1999 and have gone all over the country with our floater and now that we are older we actually enjoy going to Smuggs on most of the off-season weeks- especially the early Fall ones. We never trade our fixed summer week- we always go to Smuggs that week.

The only other drawback I could see with Balsams is it does not have it's own pool, so you have to have purchased the benefits to use the resort pools. Most likely, if you have kids, you will be purchasing the benefits/passes which include the other activities as well.

But once the kids are older- maybe don't want to or can't go to Smuggs anymore- and maybe you don't want to pay to renew benefits for the activities- you will only have the condo usage and no pool usage. Whereas, if you are in one of the newer buildings- you always have use of the pool and clubhouse (which includes a small gym and recreation/game) room, etc., even if you do not renew the benefits package.

We are at that point now, but are in Sycamores so we have a pool and clubhouse.
We haven't used our benefits in years (but our 29 year old son still visits with us there!). Our benefits actually expire in 3 years and we do not intend to renew them as we do not have grandchildren, etc.

We mainly do fee based activities now and sightseeing around Vermont.

Good luck with your purchase. I assume this is a fixed week ownership and not a RCI points ownership? What fixed week is it? I assume you have enjoyed Smuggs in the past.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My unit is also in the village and does not have a community pool. I just purchased my benefits packages. So, yes, having access to the amenities is something to consider and will be an additional cost for any unit without its own pool in the community. Benefits packages are $1000 per person for new owners right now for 10 years of benefits or $1250 per person for 20 years. You must buy a minimum of two packages, and everyone in your unit staying with you, up to the max occupancy, will receive use of a SmuggsPass.