• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Flex

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm plesantly surprised, but not sure why someone with a ski week would trade it in for Flex Options. Maybe older owners who no longer ski? Or maybe Vistana is priming the pump with weeks that they have acquired.
I suspect that the new units that Vistana is adding at Steamboat are all being piled in to the trust and not being sold as actual weeks. As a weeks owner, the only way you can trade your week for points is to turn it in and use it as a credit toward a Flex purchase. Though it seems that Vistana has lots of ski weeks conveyed to the Flex trust already.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As a weeks owner, the only way you can trade your week for points is to turn it in and use it as a credit toward a Flex purchase.
- Yes, that is what I mean.

Your theory definitely sounds likely.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Does anyone have any experience and success with booking a high demand week such as Sheraton Steamboat ski week at 12 months out during the home resort period?? Since there is no underlying week technically, I'm afraid that even owning the points it would still be impossible to book a high demand week since everything is subject to availability.
Yes we were able to book a 2BR for Spring Break. We were able to do this at about the 11 month mark.

- In order to book any of the other resorts in SVN, it had to be through Interval.
This is not correct! Flex Options become Star Options at 8 Mo and can be used anywhere in SVN.

godslaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV SDO
Maybe I've read too much at one time and am confusing myself but would like some clarification about the flex system:

1. Is Vistana selling ANY staroption timeshares or is it only flex program/home(star)options now?

2. So for scenario sake, if I purchased a 1 Br platinum Dessert Willow from the developer, it would be my home resort, but would I also have the opportunity to make a reservation at 12 mos out at the other 6 flex properties (bringing my total of available properties bookable at 12 mos to 7)? If someone were to buy this from me, what would they be able to use (what resort(s)/seasons) since they'd be buying resale?

3. Do the answers to question 2 change depending on where you buy? (I'm talking about developer purchases only)

4. At my owner's update at SVV this month, I was offered an upgrade to more options for more money of course with my 81K SO Bella. But that would mean buying into the flex system. If I did this, upon resale, does that mean that my current Bella (which has a resale value of approx $1500) would then have absolutely no/minimal resale value since it would be part of Flex?

5. This one is a bit off topic- but if I purchased a SBP standard 2 bedroom, resale, is it possible at all to book 2 separate 1 BR stays outside of my home season, so let's say 6 months out from travel? What if I purchased a lock off?

Thanks for helping me understand!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
1. Is Vistana selling ANY staroption timeshares or is it only flex program/home(star)options now?

Both

2. So for scenario sake, if I purchased a 1 Br platinum Dessert Willow from the developer, it would be my home resort, but would I also have the opportunity to make a reservation at 12 mos out at the other 6 flex properties (bringing my total of available properties bookable at 12 mos to 7)? If someone were to buy this from me, what would they be able to use (what resort(s)/seasons) since they'd be buying resale?

Desert Willow is not a Flex Option resort - only these 6:

• Sheraton Vistana Resort (FL-Orlando)
    • Sheraton Vistana Villages (FL-Orlando)
    • Vistana's Beach Club (FL-Jensen Beach)
    • Sheraton Desert Oasis (AZ-Scottsdale)
    • Sheraton Broadway Plantation (SC-Myrtle Beach)
    • Sheraton Steamboat Springs (CO-Steamboat Springs)
Flex Option FAQ: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/flex-options-f-a-q.238504/

3. Do the answers to question 2 change depending on where you buy? (I'm talking about developer purchases only)

Yes - there are only 6 Flex Option Resorts

4. At my owner's update at SVV this month, I was offered an upgrade to more options for more money of course with my 81K SO Bella. But that would mean buying into the flex system. If I did this, upon resale, does that mean that my current Bella (which has a resale value of approx $1500) would then have absolutely no/minimal resale value since it would be part of Flex?

Yes

5. This one is a bit off topic- but if I purchased a SBP standard 2 bedroom, resale, is it possible at all to book 2 separate 1 BR stays outside of my home season, so let's say 6 months out from travel? What if I purchased a lock off?

No - SBP doesn't have Staroptions on a resale - you can only book exactly what you own, so you can book your unit (or half your the lock-off) during the season you own. To book a different season/unit, you must own Staroptions.

Last edited:

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

No - SBP doesn't have Staroptions on a resale - you can only book exactly what you own, so you can book your unit (or half your the lock-off) during the season you own. To book a different season/unit, you must own Staroptions.

Is there any way to book 2 separate 1-BR from a 2-BR through Interval International? In my case I have 2 bedroom resales units at Vistana Resort, Orlando and would like to book two 1 bedrooms.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have a 2 bdm. lock-off, you can deposit each side separately.

But if you own a 2 bdm. standard, you get one deposit and one exchange.

However, it can help your trading power if you deposit a 2 bdm. for a 1 bdm. request.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I guess I feel I can narrow it down to the main (and really only) reason to own Flex is to get 12 month / home resort preference to be able to book Steamboat to ski.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In which case - just buy at Steamboat springs on the resale market for less $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
In which case - just buy at Steamboat springs on the resale market for less $$$

I would agree, but I don't see those weeks often and they aren't necessarily cheap!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cheaper and better value than Flex

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect Steamboat is available in Flex for now because most of the Flex owners do not have enough points to get a ski week even if they wanted one. It seems like they have been selling lots of 67k/81k flex packages, probably because of less purchase resistance to lower absolute prices. Plus, they seem to be pushing II, and the maximum a 2 bedroom costs is 110k flex options, so there probably isn't an easy way to push people to buy bigger amounts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

How much does a Steamboat ski week sell for resale? I think one could possibly buy enough Flex options for less than a resale ski week. Though the MF on the amount of Flex options is probably not as good of a value.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much does a Steamboat ski week sell for resale? I think one could possibly buy enough Flex options for less than a resale ski week. Though the MF on the amount of Flex options is probably not as good of a value.

I have seen resale Steamboat winter ski weeks go for about $15,000-$20,000 online but they are very rare. Flex options are running at 35 cents/option according to sales, so a resale ski week will still be cheaper. I was also told by sales that they are not taking EOY years into the trust because someone owns the other side of the EOY and they prefer annual weeks. Take that with a grain of salt obviously. The only thing that appeals to me about Flex is booking a long weekend to ski at 12 months out vs a whole week. I don't need the SOs so I could look out for resale Flex options.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have seen resale Steamboat winter ski weeks go for about $15,000-$20,000 online but they are very rare. Flex options are running at 35 cents/option according to sales, so a resale ski week will still be cheaper. I was also told by sales that they are not taking EOY years into the trust because someone owns the other side of the EOY and they prefer annual weeks. Take that with a grain of salt obviously. The only thing that appeals to me about Flex is booking a long weekend to ski at 12 months out vs a whole week. I don't need the SOs so I could look out for resale Flex options.
But looking on Ebay, some completed 81,000 Flex listings have ended in the $1,500 range. So I suspect you could buy a couple of those for about $3000 and have access to the same ski weeks that the $15,000-$20,000 deeded week does but for far less money.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
But looking on Ebay, some completed 81,000 Flex listings have ended in the $1,500 range. So I suspect you could buy a couple of those for about $3000 and have access to the same ski weeks that the $15,000-$20,000 deeded week does but for far less money.

I predict that once the FlexOption program is more established and there are more owners, it will be virtually impossible to get a ski season week at Steamboat.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: for someone (not me) who buys FLEX from developer, I know they have access to Vistana inventory, other than FLEX resorts, at 8 months out. Do they have access to the same inventory as someone who owns a mandatory resort and uses SOs to trade into other resorts (such as WSJ or WKORV)? In other words, are mandatory owners (who trade into resorts, such as those mentioned) now competing with FLEX owners at 8 months out?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - Flex options become Staroptions at 8 mos. before check-in.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - Flex options become Staroptions at 8 mos. before check-in.

Thanks Denise. There is talk over on the Hyatt forum that the new Hyatt PPP program will allow these owners access to Vistana resorts. I remember a similar discussion on the Vistana forum about a year ago that Vistana owners would be allowed access to Hyatt resorts. Other than salesperson speak, there is nothing to legitimize either of these.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also consider though that non flex owners can use their StarOptions at eight months to reserve inventory that is in the flex trust. Plus, even if they sold the flex inventory as weeks, instead of points. those same owners would still have access to StarOptions at eight months.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There has to be 100% accountability between #Owners and #VOIs or #Points (be them Flex or HOs) - no more... no less...
so if Hyatt gets access - then they can only take those VOI/Points that are owned by VSE/VSN.

Or is there another way?
Some FlexOption points agreement w/ Hyatt with reciprocal usage to use Flex resorts?
Can't happen with SOs or HOs. Those are accounted for.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There has to be 100% accountability between #Owners and #VOIs or #Points (be them Flex or HOs) - no more... no less...
so if Hyatt gets access - then they can only take those VOI/Points that are owned by VSE/VSN.

Or is there another way?
Some FlexOption points agreement w/ Hyatt with reciprocal usage to use Flex resorts?
Can't happen with SOs or HOs. Those are accounted for.

They could drop some Vistana weeks in to the HPP trust, though those same weeks then wouldn't be available to Flex owners. They would need to setup some kind of exchange company or perhaps affiliate Hyatt with the VSN exchange company.

You know ILG really won't do this unless they can see some way to make money from it. So even it there were some two way street to reserve between Hyatt and Vistana and vice versa, there is going to be some kind of fee attached to it. They aren't going to undercut the core II exchange business for free.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I expect that Hyatt and Vistana will get some kind of reciprocal exchange program. Similar to an II exchange, a Hyatt member will exchange to a Vistana location only when a Vistana member exchanges to a Hyatt location. (Although ILG will use annual averages.) This is how Wyndham interfaces Club Wyndham and Worldmark, and how Diamond Resorts handles their propriety exchanges.