*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Vacation points vs weeks question

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by CSB, Jul 15, 2013.

1. CSB

CSB Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My cousin has gone to a timeshare presentation at our (we both own there) home resort of Carriage Hills. She agreed to convert her weeks to Shell points without buying additional property or increasing the number of points aside from what they offered her for the weeks.

While she still has time to back out I am asking on her behalf....

1) What are the difficulties one faces when using points over weeks.

2) Changing to points with Shell, now International Intervals(II) is the trading partner as opposed to RCI. In practice what are both the positive and negative differences in using either trading company?

This is good for me to know as well since I am still hanging on to my weeks.

2. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

1.) I read one case where the person who changed their Hawaii week to points did not have enough points to book that same week. I'm not sure why it worked out like that. They regretted switching to points.

2.) I'm new to Shell and II, but am very happy with the trading. There are a lot of different resorts that I would enjoy that my Shell points will trade into.

3. Bill4728

Bill4728 Moderator

We own three non shell weeks at a shell resort. The offer to convert our weeks to pts was terrible. Our MFs would go way up and the number of pts we would get would not allow us to make reservations on the best weeks in our current seasons, only on the average of the weeks in our seasons.

we turned them down flat.

4. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Your cousin should rescind while she can. It doesn't matter how much she paid because the value cannot be worth the cost. Look at eBay for a clue on the value of the Shell product. I love Shell myself, but people who buy retails are not so enamored, apparently, because they are paying to get rid of their points.

I have not ever regretted for a moment my "purchase" of Shell on eBay: free usage, free closing and free transfer. All 12,225 points. I get six housekeepings per year, and I get almost every benefit of Shell that members get.

The fees are high, but the value matches the fees, in my opinion. I would own California Club or Hawaii Club because the fees are lower than the others, and I like the ability to book California resorts way ahead of everyone else. It's a wonderful system.

Trading through II has been awesome for us. We traded into a 2 bed Marriott over July 4th on Maui this year. We also traded into a Marriott's Kauai Beach Club 2 bedroom for next month, and a Westin Ka'anapali for 6/9/2013, too. I am extremely happy with the trading power in II. It's been better than I expected. I still wish Shell would go back to RCI and let us book DVC through RCI Points. It was a great benefit for us.