• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX-what types of high season exchanges can I get?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That's great, Sandy. I have an ongoing search for NYC for this next March. I hope to get it, but if I don't, I will try something else with them. You never know you can get, until you enter the search. I am always hopeful but don't count on anything because I have had more exchange requests go unfulfilled. I noticed there are no deposit exchanges anymore with new deposits. That is disappointing because I have extended a few I will now have expire in September.

With II, I always find something, but my Marriott and Sheraton deposits trade well, and that is about all I use in II.

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did well with SFX. Twice, we deposited a summer two bedroom week at Sheraton Broadway Plantation (deposit first). Twice, we got a week at Sloane Gardens, London. We were delighted.

otoh, this was two and four years ago, we no longer own at SBP, and Sloane Gardens closes as a timeshare at the end of 2017.

But we definitely would work with SFX again.
Actually Sloane Garden closes in 2018 I own there

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Why does SFX offer Vidanta owners a 2 for 1 week exchange - get 2 weeks in exchange if depositing one week? Are the Vidanta properties so valuable to SFX?
I don't have all the particulars since I don't own at Vidanta, but I understand Vidanta and SFX have a relationship. Vidanta owners please correct me if I'm wrong. It's not just Vidanta owners that get extra weeks. Last year, let's just say I had a misunderstanding with The Colonies for renting out my (summer, highest TDI) unit. Rather than risk my week going unused, I decided to deposit. It was within II's flex period so I looked at SFX. Not only did they accept my deposit 35 days out, they also gave me a bonus week. I have the full 3 years to use both weeks. They were very nice, and I was very grateful. I asked SFX about it later, and they told me they had a request for Colonies at that time so they took it.

The current promotion would net me a week plus 2 bonus weeks if I deposited. Like others have stated, they are smaller than II and RCI so inventory reflects, but I'm hopeful for a decent exchange. I've called several times and inquired about locations, but the right resort hasn't been available...yet.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried using SFX a few years ago and ended up wasting my very nice large 1 bedroom spring break unit at Westin Rancho Mirage. I've learned my lesson... I've gotten amazing exchanges with II and RCI: 4 units Xmas week at Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta this past year, 4 units Xmas week at Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas the year before, 2 units Xmas week at Royal Islander this coming year. We have stayed at Alii Kai in Hawaii summer time - had 2 units. I tried getting a Grand Mayan unit for Xmas-time with SFX several times, and was never able to do so. I noticed years ago that John Cummings always got trades he was happy with, and whenever anyone asked about SFX, he would reply about his great trades. You may want to pm him to find out if he asked far in advance, or what allowed him to get decent trades that he was happy with. If you are interested in the types of places he went to, you may find that SFX works well for you. I think if you can plan far in advance, then II and RCI can work out great because they have so many bulk deposits of excellent resorts. But if you want to go to the Manhattan Club, SFX seems to be great. (And used to be great for Sloan Gardens, as well - but someone above mentioned they have closed.)

My experiences, unfortunately, have always been negative with SFX, and my deposited units went to waste. But everyone has different needs/results...

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a diamond membership and have tried many times for a trade into high demand locations. Please note that they have a $299 upcharge for Marriott and Hilton resorts on the rare chance they have inventory. It doesn't matter if you deposit a Hyatt, 4 Seasons or Westin week, they ding you with the upcharge. On the positive side their bonus weeks allow ongoing searches and can be priced pretty reasonably and there is no guest fee for diamond members. So far I have 7 ongoing searches and the only matches I have found are low quality resorts. With the new $59 3rd party booking fee at Vistana, its actually cheaper to use RCI/II.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Thanks. I decided to stick with the devil that I know. I also have gotten many great Rci trades over the years. Might not be perfect, but still decent options imho.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been terribly disappointed with SFX. I have been trying for 2 years to use my Hilton Head Marriott Barony deposit for a spring break exchange. I realize it's spring break.. but seriously, no availability? My week is going to expire and they have only come up with one option so far. St. Marteen and the property looked awful and the airfare was incredible. I'm still holding on.. but at this point I would absolutely not deposit another week.

SFX will typically offer to reinstate a deposited week with either another deposit, or sometimes a fee.

You could always check with Mark over at the "Ask SFX" forums on the timeshareforums.com

I am a little surprised that you have nothing for 2 years unless it's maybe a very specific week vs. a range of weeks (ie: April - March) or something.

But then again even some weeks with RCI are notoriously hard to get as well.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I about a year ago bought a Vidanta property in Puerto Vallarta (Grand Luxxe loft; probably considered to be a studio unit by SFX and most other timeshare exchange companies) - I believe my complimenary membership at some level (?diamond) will expire soon.

The question is should I extend it, or forget about it. That same property also gets me access to the Registry Collection exchanges (and therefore to RCI exchanges); I also have II membership because of my ownership with Westgate.

Why does SFX offer Vidanta owners a 2 for 1 week exchange - get 2 weeks in exchange if depositing one week? Are the Vidanta properties so valuable to SFX?

Being a suite type unit, what type of week will I get - let us say I want to exchange into a 5 star resort in Hawaii - let us say a Marriott or a Hilton resort? How easy is it to get those exchanges? Let us say I want a July or August week in Hawaii. Will I at most get a studio unit, if I am successful with my exchange request. I presume that SFX rarely, if ever, has Disney Vacation Club resort weeks deposited into it?

this is just my speculation regarding your Vidanta owner question with SFX. I believe it's because Vidanta has partnered with SFX. At least at the one sales presentation (augh, never again) with Vida, if you bought, they (Vidanta) "gave" you 3 "bonus" weeks, but those were SFX bonus weeks (the same bonus week pricing that I can get directly as an SFX member during their deposit specials).

I would hazard that a Vida (Grand Luxxe especially) would be high trading with SFX. Normally, if SFX accepts a deposit, it's a "like for like" exchange (ie: I deposit a 1 BR, I can request a 1 BR). since I'm diamond, I can (if available) get a 2 BR exchange by only depositing a 1 BR.

I know that sometimes they get Marriott Maui deposits. But I'm not going to guarantee anything (and neither would Mark at SFX).

Feel free though to ask Mark over at the "Ask SFX" forums on the timeshareforums.com site. He may take a few days to respond though.

IF I owned at Vida, I'd personally just rent out my week, and use the money to rent elsewhere. But that also assumes I had a Grand bliss/Grand Luxxe unit.

I don't know if II gets DVC deposits or Marriott. I know RCI gets DVC deposits (they get scooped up so you have to do an OGS search to basically get on) and of course, no Marriott in RCI (AFAIK).

I hope this helps?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a diamond membership and have tried many times for a trade into high demand locations. Please note that they have a $299 upcharge for Marriott and Hilton resorts on the rare chance they have inventory. It doesn't matter if you deposit a Hyatt, 4 Seasons or Westin week, they ding you with the upcharge. On the positive side their bonus weeks allow ongoing searches and can be priced pretty reasonably and there is no guest fee for diamond members. So far I have 7 ongoing searches and the only matches I have found are low quality resorts. With the new $59 3rd party booking fee at Vistana, its actually cheaper to use RCI/II.

AFAIK, SFX does not charge the $299 for Hilton (they never have on my Vegas deposits). Maybe if it's HHV or during "event" week (Christmas, New Years, etc.) and not sure about the Marriott part (Mark didn't indicate that in his answer regarding Marriott Maui availability). Normally the only time I've gotten the $299 is grand Luxxe, although I vaguely recall certain NYC and possibly certain Hawaii locations/times had the upcharge, but I don't believe it was universal (ie: ALL Hiltons get a $299 upcharge).

I could be wrong.

It's not perfect, so I always advise people to TRY it before buying and check out the "Ask SFX" forum over on timeshareforums.com. Just like some people HGVC is a good fit, and others like Marriott, I think similar with exchange companies (they have their pros/cons).

I've mostly had good luck with SFX. Their random changing of bonus week pricing is what has annoyed me the most (NO advance warning, just one day BAM! new pricing).

I'm only having issues with Key West right now (same with RCI) as apparently I should've put my request in 18 months ago instead of 12. Now I have to book plane tickets in the next few days and no hits on OGS with either (and I had a 3 month window as well). Oh well, win some, lose some. On the plus side I snagged a 1 BR Grand bliss during Christmas.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used SFX once a few years ago and was pleased, a 2br late summer Branson deposit for a 3Br summer Big Bear unit about 3 mos. out from check-in. I haven't used them again because II and RCI have worked so phenomenally for what I own, but I would consider using SFX again for certain types of requests. Just a different business model and consumer experience than the big exchg companies.