• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX and grand luxe fees

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if SFX visitors get charged the $11 per person daily fee at this chain of resorts? Also what are the upgrade fees to get an extra bedroom and the grand luxe? Trying to figure out whether to try and get this request though II or SFX.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They do not. They are charged the $75. The do have an upgrade fee to exchange into grand luxxe $299 in addition to the exchange fee. If you are not a diamond member the size upgrade, I think is $199 per bedroom.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea if it is easier to get the 3 bedroom luxe through II or SFX? With the $299 fee it seems like it evens out the $11 per day for the 5 of us and I shouldn't have the size upgrade or am I missing something?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You do pay the size upgrade in addition to the $299 fee if you are not Diamond. So if you are giving a 2 br unit to SFX you would have exchange fee, Grand Luxxe fee ($299) plus size upgrade fee ($199- unless you are a Diamond SFX member) plus the $75 fee to Vidant.

With II you would have the $11 per person per day fee, exchange fee and size upgrade fee ($59/79/99- depending on II membership level).

I don't think SFX gets many 3 BR's. I kind of think II gets quite a bit more 2 and 3 BR units than SFX.

When were you looking to travel and to which Luxxe?

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I said I would book a trip for my 2 friends and myself to celebrate our 60th b-days. Then of course one friend wants to take the husbands so now there are 5 of us. Then she says of we need a 3 bedroom (guess who does not know how to use her timeshares realistically) and the other friend says she doesn't want to go the the states at all. That friend is a bit upset with your new government. My husband and I will go almost anywhere and have no problem sharing a room. OMG why did I agree?

Anyways that leaves me with the mayan resorts either Nuevo Vallarta or the Mayan Riviera. I would like to impress them with the grand luxe if I can. The week is early Oct 2018 connected to Canadian Thanksgiving as I am a teacher and will need to take 4 personal days to pull this off. I have time I just need to figure out if this is realistic. Want to bet someone will cancel because it will be too expensive?

Joan

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I said I would book a trip for my 2 friends and myself to celebrate our 60th b-days. Then of course one friend wants to take the husbands so now there are 5 of us. Then she says of we need a 3 bedroom (guess who does not know how to use her timeshares realistically) and the other friend says she doesn't want to go the the states at all. That friend is a bit upset with your new government. My husband and I will go almost anywhere and have no problem sharing a room. OMG why did I agree?

Anyways that leaves me with the mayan resorts either Nuevo Vallarta or the Mayan Riviera. I would like to impress them with the grand luxe if I can. The week is early Oct 2018 connected to Canadian Thanksgiving as I am a teacher and will need to take 4 personal days to pull this off. I have time I just need to figure out if this is realistic. Want to bet someone will cancel because it will be too expensive?

Joan

No good deed goes unpunished....

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Joan

Hey, you just scratched the surface, so to say, with what I've been dealing with for a family reunion I've tried to plan for a year and a half.

Sure does make me wonder how they all got married with their lack of commitment and/or total lack of seeing beyond their own wants (or possibly may want).
Yep, Ty1on is right.

Last edited:

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my hobby. I book 2 back to back weeks in a 3br or larger 1 to 1.5 years in advance. Then I spend a year coaxing a long list of friends with kids close in age to ours to join us for a week for the cost of airfare and a split of the groceries and nothing more. I even do a two week meal plan that accommodates the special diets for the whole group that counts every item needed from the number of eggs to the slices of toast. Yes, I do this for fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
The do have an upgrade fee to exchange into grand luxxe $299 in addition to the exchange fee. If you are not a diamond member the size upgrade, I think is $199 per bedroom.

When did you get a GL upgrade through SFX? During low season? Because I talked to SFX and they didn't have GL unit available in January.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you own at GL but cannot get what you want!
I had been on a wait-listat SFX for GL and in March got a 1 BR for next January.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I got my 3 bedroom at the grand luxxe Nuevo Vallarta for next Oct (2018). Worldmark points 12000 the exchange fee($189) and the HK token of $111 and of course the five of us will pay the $11 resort fee. Definitely not cheap but about the best I could do. Also getting it so early means we can hopefully get airfare at a good price.

Joan

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
SFX very rarely gets 3 BR units. If you see one in II, I'd snag it. There may or may not be an upgrade fee with SFX, it depends on:
1) What did you deposit for your exchange
and
2) Are you Diamond member or not?

Regardless, the $299 upgrade to Grand Luxxe (regardless of room type) is, IMO, worth it (but then again I have no II access, just RCI via HGVC).

So if you deposited a 3 BR unit with SFX, then (assuming they had a 3 BR GL) you would pay the $299 GL charge, plus the exchange fee, plus the $75 USD resort fee. If you're Diamond, the exchange fee is $149 last time I looked.

If you deposited a 2 BR unit and are Diamond, *and* they had a 3 BR unit available, you could get a free upgrade to the 3 BR (you'd owe what's above).

If it were me:
Use your exchange week with SFX for the 2 BR if they have it and then use the Bonus week for the 1 BR or Studio.

Again, I have no idea what II charges. For me, it's a significant savings to deposit my 1 BR HGVC week, get the free upgrade to 2 BR ( I'm Diamond) and pay the $149 exchange fee, the $299 GL charge and the $75 resort fee. I think I worked it out and my total cost was around $775.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
October is the hottest season in PV. We're staying at MP PV in October 2015 and had to evacuate to MP NV due to big hurricane. Travel insurance is highly recommend.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk