• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling time share problems - HOW DO WE GET OUT??

RockinMomma

Reaction score
My husband and I have had this time share for nearly 10 years. Sorry to say in all that time we have not been able to use it. Between going other places on vacation due to work or family and then having a family of our own and not having time or money to travel, it's just sat there.

We're sick of paying for it and not using it.

I've tried to sell it on our own for a while now. No one is biting. I've even got it priced pretty low to just get it our of our hands and cover what we've paid this year on it.

We recently read an article in the local paper (in a money matter article) about someone in the same position as us. They talked about just not paying the yearly dues.

What will happen if we do this? Will we just lose the timeshare? Will it go on our Credit report?

Please help!

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your credit would get dinged if you don't pay the fees, and the fees would continue to accrue.

You might have to give away the timeshare (and even then there's no guarantee that you'll be successful). Whatever you do, do not pay any company to sell this for you, or you'll be out that money too.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Better Option Needed Than Just Walking Away.

What will happen if we do this?
Click here for a clue.

If the timeshare is free & clear -- i.e., no money owed on the purchase & all fees up to date -- it's possible the timeshare resort will accept deedback, but it's up to them & certainly not guaranteed that they will. Can't hurt to call up & ask.

Full Disclosure: We deeded 1 back to the resort this past summer -- called up & asked, they said OK, so we got signatures notarized on quitclaim deed, which we sent back pronto, & that was that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you quit paying your maintenance fees, they will report you to the credit bureaus, and turn you over to collections. It will damage your credit rating.

Because of the economy, most timeshares are selling for 0-10% of original retail price, and the market is flooded with cheap and free resales, so it's a terrible time to try to sell a timeshare.

Another option is to give it away yourself - to get rid of the maintenance fees.

Whatever you do - don't pay someone a high upfront fee to sell it for you - that is ALWAYS a scam! Those companies make their money with upfront fees and they have no intention of selling your timeshare.

Here's how to find out what your timeshare is selling for on the resale market:

1) Register with eBay
2) Log into eBay
3) Search for the resort by exact name
4) Click on "completed listings" on the menu on the left

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)​

If you poke around a bit, you will see that there are more than 300 timeshares listed on ebay for $0-100 - most with no bids. Many people are having a hard time even giving away their timeshares these days.

If you discover that your TS has no resale value, it may be possible to give it away, if it is paid off, and all your fees are up to date.

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2010 (and possibly 2011) maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple professional transfer for about $100) I've used this licensed document Prep. company and the owner is a Tugger. - Note, this is my personal recommendation, not as a representative of TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2010 or 2011 for the new owner​

Good luck!

RockinMomma

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I never thought of calling to see if the company will deedback.

We don't owe anything on it. 2011 dues are coming up soon.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't work- or even if it does, book a desirable week and either use it yourself or rent it to lighten your financial load.

Welcome to TUG! Many here have just studied the FAQs, asked questions and figured out how to get the most of their timeshare purchase.

Jim Ricks

Mausi

Reaction score
Hi,
if you can't sell it then try and give it away. Don't let your Credit go bad because of not paying your MF.

RockinMomma

Reaction score
Yeah I'm about at that point of just giving it away. I've got one person nibbling right now, so I'm just waiting a little longer.

Villa holiday

TUG Member
Reaction score
keep learning from TUG

I TOO started the 'get rid of my timeshare before 2011 maint fees are due' odyssey about a month ago. I am now addicted to lurking and learning on TUG. Well I have learned that I am going to have to continue to fork it out but there are options. Don't be hasty as others have said-your credit will be shot! First thing to do is reserve the best week 2011-this way you can either rent it out yourself, find a buyer (good luck) or have an agency take over and rent for 40-50% profit to them. I am trying to find a renter myself-spring break time! Wish me luck and good luck to you!

Villa holiday

TUG Member
Reaction score
best thing I did....

was to join TUG! Great info. Some of the posters get a little opinionated but everyone overall has been very helpful. AND I thought I knew what I was doing with my TS. I almost gave it away to a company that was recommended by my resort. That is when I started to hit the internet and found TUG.

MLR

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
re: How do we get out?

Same thing with us. We own a floating week, 2BR every odd year on the Big Island and live in the Midwest. It is getting harder and harder to go every other year. Our deed is paid for.

Someone mentioned reserving the BEST week and renting it out. What would be the BEST week on the Big Island in 2011? Maybe a week during Ironman? Xmas? Easter? When?

I am a newbie here - so can you point me in the right direction if we just want to Give our timeshare away? We have read so much about being 'taken.'

Thanks all

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
See post #4 above - it has complete instructions about giving your TS away.

Renting is depressed right now - it's doable, but it takes some work. I had an Easter week for rent this year, and it never rented even though I advertised it widely. I ended up giving it away.

dan704

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for ALL the posts on this, my wife & I have been contimplenting this issue for months.

We have points w/Wyndham & Bluegreen and 2-Wks w/W'gate Vac Villas, that we have enjoyed w/some of our 14 grandchildren.

Times are tough with Many here in Michigan.
Thanks again, David