• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sell My Timeshare Now

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
few items to comment on this.

1. your ad expired last year after it wasnt renewed...so it hasnt even been on the website since 7/2016
2. you are asking for money for your timeshare
3. you are not offering to pay closing costs for your timeshare

why would you not attempt to correct these items before contacting an upfront fee company to donate your timeshare when each of these options is far less expensive and easier for you to do?

@TUGBrian
I find your tone harsh and offensive. Not much help. I also find this site hard to maneuver and for someone like myself with no experience at this, it has also not been much help to me. There's a lot of talk but no real positive steps to take, encouragement or tried and true experiences with selling that I can find. The harsh tone is just as bad and frustrating to me as the scamming timeshare salesmen. I will relist my timeshare and correct what you stated. However, looks like the only money to be made will be the ongoing ad fee. I hope I'm wrong. By the way, if you are an administrator of this site, I would think you'd be more helpful and diplomatic.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
@TUGBrian
I find your tone harsh and offensive. Not much help. I also find this site hard to maneuver and for someone like myself with no experience at this, it has also not been much help to me. There's a lot of talk but no real positive steps to take, encouragement or tried and true experiences with selling that I can find. The harsh tone is just as bad and frustrating to me as the scamming timeshare salesmen. I will relist my timeshare and correct what you stated. However, looks like the only money to be made will be the ongoing ad fee. I hope I'm wrong. By the way, if you are an administrator of this site, I would think you'd be more helpful and diplomatic.
Brian has saved countless people lots of money and without him this wonderful community wouldn't exist.

He was only trying to help you by showing you why you are having difficulties.

I personally feel his response was factual and you are the one being harsh due to your frustrations, which I can understand.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I don't think @TUGBrian is getting rich at $15 a year membership fee, it probably only covers the cost of running the site.

The people making money are the ones that will charge you thousands and then all they do is list it on their web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@TUGBrian

Au contraire, TUGBrian's input to you was certainly not in any way "harsh" or "offensive", but was instead objective, helpful and factually accurate.
Don't shoot the messenger just because you don't particularly like the content of the message that was delivered to you.

The unvarnished (albeit surely unwelcome) truth is that your "product" likely has absolutely no resale value whatsoever and, in fact, you may very well have to offer to pay any and all closing and transfer costs out of your own pocket just to generate even a modicum of interest (...and maybe not even then).

It's an unfortunate and harsh reality that what someone (over)pays a developer has absolutely no relevance to later resale market value, which may very well be no value at all before the ink on the contract is even dry. There are noteworthy exceptions, of course; Mexican RTU contracts are generally not among them. You are plainly frustrated, but IMnsHO it is entirely inappropriate to attack someone for simply telling you the truth, unwelcome though that truth may be.

If the modest TUG membership fee (which also allows you to place free ads which you are personally responsible for periodically renewing) is a real show stopper, you can always advertise on Craigslsit for free instead --- where you will likely be contacted by assorted spammers, scammers and tire kickers. The fact is that the value (or lack thereof) of what you'd like to sell / give away will not change, regardless of the advertising venue utilized. Good luck.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
My tone was not meant to be harsh or offensive, I was merely attempting to explain exactly why you have had no luck in selling your timeshare after you mention specifically you were unsuccessful in doing so here on TUG...and at the same time hoping to allow you to avoid an even more expensive mistake.

I certainly apologize for doing that, as it clearly was a mistake on my part!

(ps, what "continuing ad fee" are you speaking of? there is no charge to post or renew an ad for a regular TUG member, its completely free of charge)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry, this really has frustrated me today.

I am sorry that you took my tone as somehow offensive, but I was not only trying to prevent you from wasting more money, I provided you with 3 suggestions that can be implemented in less than 60 seconds (all for free) that would result in actually attracting a buyer for your timeshare.

I am not sure how that warranted a response not only insulting me, but this entire website?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry, this really has frustrated me today.

I am sorry that you took my tone as somehow offensive, but I was not only trying to prevent you from wasting more money, I provided you with 3 suggestions that can be implemented in less than 60 seconds (all for free) that would result in actually attracting a buyer for your timeshare.

I am not sure how that warranted a response not only insulting me, but this entire website?

It didn't. You certainly owe no apology whatsoever for trying to help someone achieve success (and also not throw good money away to no productive end).
Don't take personally that someone was merely (and quite inappropriately) "displacing" their own frustration. Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@TUGBrian

If you truly want to rid yourself of the timeshare the suggestions given were spot on even if it was painful to read.

While eBay is only one way to value a timeshare there are many Flagship timeshares on eBay that didn't sell even for a $1 and all that I looked at had free closing/transfer AND bonus cash upon closing for the buyer. The highest sale price was $25 with free closing and $350 gift card. Another sold for a penny with free closing and $600 gift card. The sad truth is you will likely have to do something similar if you wish to transfer ownership (use LT Transfer to handle the closing for peace of mind). It may cost you $1000 to $1500 or so. The other option is to go the route of an "Exit" company, pay $3000+ upfront and pray they do what they say they will do.

Hope you have success either way.

Last edited:

WackyLucy

Reaction score
I will relist my timeshare...

Maybe this is just more unwelcome input that you don't want to hear, but your Atlantic City NJ timeshare very likely has no resale market value at all.
When you "relist", you'll likely have to offer to give it away for free and pay all of the closing and transfer costs. In fact, as already mentioned above, you might also have to offer a "bonus" gift card of $500 as well just to elicit any interest, but that course of action would still be smarter and less expensive than paying an unreliable upfront fee outfit that will ultimately accomplish nothing at all for you. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My tone was not meant to be harsh or offensive, I was merely attempting to explain exactly why you have had no luck in selling your timeshare after you mention specifically you were unsuccessful in doing so here on TUG...and at the same time hoping to allow you to avoid an even more expensive mistake.

I certainly apologize for doing that, as it clearly was a mistake on my part!

(ps, what "continuing ad fee" are you speaking of? there is no charge to post or renew an ad for a regular TUG member, its completely free of charge)

@TUGBrian
While I certainly appreciate the candor of your response, as well as, your suggestions, I was taken aback by your comment, "why would you not attempt to correct these items before contacting an upfront fee company to donate your timeshare when each of these options is far less expensive and easier for you to do?"
I had not expected to be criticized when I came across this thread about SMTSN and this question, "I would also like to know this as they just contacted me after I called donate your timeshare. I am trying to liquidate my timeshare. It did not sell here or on eBay." As you are aware this is a very frustrating process and situation. I have owned this time share for 20 years and never thought it would become such a difficult situation. Please know that it was also not my intent to insult you or anyone on this board. I think it would be more beneficial(at least for me) if just the facts were stated rather than some of the comments that I see on this board. Asking a question and then having others criticize or belittle someone who is not as knowledgeable does nothing more than discourage one from asking questions. For instance, I had no idea that I could re-list my timeshare for free which is why I did not. Thank you for telling me that. I also did not know I should say that I would pay all closing costs. I thought it was understood that the seller would do this. I thank you also for that. I have taken all your suggestions into account and will re-list my timeshare. Again, it was not my intent to insult you or this website but rather to seek information that might release me from this timeshare hell. Thank you for your consideration and I do apologize!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do hope the suggestions result in you finding a buyer!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@TUGBrian
While I certainly appreciate the candor of your response, as well as, your suggestions, I was taken aback by your comment, "why would you not attempt to correct these items before contacting an upfront fee company to donate your timeshare when each of these options is far less expensive and easier for you to do?"
I had not expected to be criticized when I came across this thread about SMTSN and this question, "I would also like to know this as they just contacted me after I called donate your timeshare. I am trying to liquidate my timeshare. It did not sell here or on eBay." As you are aware this is a very frustrating process and situation. I have owned this time share for 20 years and never thought it would become such a difficult situation. Please know that it was also not my intent to insult you or anyone on this board. I think it would be more beneficial(at least for me) if just the facts were stated rather than some of the comments that I see on this board. Asking a question and then having others criticize or belittle someone who is not as knowledgeable does nothing more than discourage one from asking questions. For instance, I had no idea that I could re-list my timeshare for free which is why I did not. Thank you for telling me that. I also did not know I should say that I would pay all closing costs. I thought it was understood that the seller would do this. I thank you also for that. I have taken all your suggestions into account and will re-list my timeshare. Again, it was not my intent to insult you or this website but rather to seek information that might release me from this timeshare hell. Thank you for your consideration and I do apologize!

Sorry for your difficulties: many who come here are looking for solutions, not sure where to turn and make easy targets for the legal, illegal, reputable and dis-reputable companies that deal with timeshares.

There are many traps and pitfalls for those not aware of the many subtle (and some not so subtle) ways that companies try to bilk people out of money in order to dispose of timeshares. Many of these companies don't do anything but collect money and prey on the innocent and sometimes naive owner. The folks here on TUG and definitely trying to help. There are many accounts of owners' relations with SMTN. Most involve collecting monies but never selling. We are simply warning you of this.

Brian's response above is a typical one and was simply aimed at trying to help you avoid 'throwing good money after bad.' Or, simply put, fully exhaust every 'free' option (which may involve paying closing fees, MF's etc....) before paying someone to tell you the same thing. There is no standard, nothing is customary, it's a constantly changing and variable situation, just like the real estate market in general. Disposing of timeshares can be a frustrating experience.

At the right cash-balance point, somebody will probably adopt your timeshare. Others here will be kind enough to suggest other actions (contacting the HOA etc..) that might be of some help. The sad reality is: timeshares (or at least the maintenance fees) are forever.

I wish you luck, congratulations on finding TUG and I hope it assists you. It's a great group and provides free, sage advice for the 'timeshare weary' and the intrepid vacationers alike!

cheers.

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
@TUGBrian

@Panina @SmithOp @RX8 @theo @WackyLucy @taterhed

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to rid myself of my timeshare thanks to my ad here in the classifieds. Thanks for your help(and others here)and suggestions. I didn't make any money on it, in fact, I paid someone to take it! But at least I have peace of mind knowing my children will not be burdened with it in the event of my death. I owned it for 20 years and never was able to exchange it. I spent well over $30,000.00 in maintenance fees, upgrades and paying for it. This has been a very hard and expensive lesson to learn! In order to sell it, I paid the maintenance fees for 2018, the deed transfer fees and gave the new owner a gift card for $200.00. Total costs to me; $1385.00 to give it away! I also want to say that many here recommended that I use LLT to transfer the deed but my timeshare was cheaper and they did it in 2 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks which LLT told me. LLT's cost were as follows; $150 preparation,$7 postage, $80 recording fee, $250 transfer fee, total of $487.00 My timeshare fees; $325 preparation, $62.00 recording fee. Total costs; $387.00. A savings of $100.00 Well anyway I'm glad to be free of that Albatross and to have peace of mind! My advice from now on for anyone, especially to young couples will be "To never buy a timeshare!" and if they ever hear the words " “in perpetuityclause" to immediately run for your life or else seek a good attorney first! Thanks again!:wave:

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Congratulations.

So, you see, TUGBrian's advice was spot-on. You just needed to hang in there and make it happen.

If you ask me, your outlay to adopt the timeshare to a new owner was actually far less painful than I've read from others.
In any case, congratulations on making this happen.

Now that this is done, you can rent and enjoy without the worries!

cheers.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Congrats on being free from your timeshare.

While your advice to anyone willing to listen may be to never buy a timeshare there are many here who continue to purchase timeshares and enjoy them immensely. The secret, and better advice, would be to know what you are buying and buy resale.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Congratulations on giving away your timeshare. Just shows TugBrian and TUG is an asset to all timeshare owners.

I am sorry that your timeshare experience was bad. Many of us are on the other end of the spectrum, totally happy and enjoying our timeshares.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
very happy you were successful in finding a new home for your timeshare without falling prey to upfront fee scammers!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Total costs to me; $1385.00 to give it away!

Which is a lot cheaper than many of these PCC's, charities, or law firms. You just need to put forth a little effort. And it's also better than using the viking ship companies.