• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sell My Timeshare Now

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you will find that the advice here is to avoid any company that asks for large upfront fees.

you can also search for topics on any company name here: http://search.tug2.net

where do you own?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Over several years, you have asked about multiple "rescue companies" to get you out of your ownership, but the answer is always going to be the same - there is no easy out.

Personally, if I owned in Mexico, I would stop paying and let them take it back.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you want to know the market price of a timeshare (what it might really sell for....) check the listings on TUG, check the ROFR database (if it applies to you) or the appropriate forum and solicit advice from members. You can also check Redweek for current listings (chop the top 2 listings off! :>).

SMTSN has a less than sterling reputation IMHO in the TS selling business. Money first, sale might come later...or never. So says my friend who had some experience with them. This is second hand knowledge...so take it for what its worth.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Ditto all the above. I find that SMTN tends to be high priced too high so I'm sure their listings don't move fast. Of course, if you are charging a high up front fee, what's the rush to sell it? I have looked at / been interested in a few of their listings as a potential buyer but have walked because of their unwillingness to come down in price and negotiate. I would hardly call SMTN prices market prices.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
SMTSN is a poor choice for selling and for buying. I have tried to look in to some listings on their site that were reasonably priced and they wanted to push buyers to use their high priced closing services, which made the some of the otherwise reasonable priced weeks too expensive. They do a huge disservice to those for whom they are trying to sell their weeks. However, they already have the big upfront "listing" fee, so they are in no rush to sell the weeks that they have listed.

jnealand

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently had a meeting with Timeshare Exit Team, but told them upfront I was not going to make a decision during my visit. While researching them on the TUG forums, I decided to place a for sale ad on TUG and sold my TS within 2 days and had 3 interested buyers. My deed has now been recorded and I no longer have to pay annual maintenance. So I would recommend you place an ad in the TUG marketplace. I gave mine away since my wife has mobility issues and we no longer wish to travel long distances but wanted out of the maintenance fees. Good luck. I will no longer be a member here once my membership expires, but it has been a great group to learn from.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will no longer be a member here once my membership expires, but it has been a great group to learn from.

I'm glad to hear your story. You just gave further proof that one does not have to pay some "exit" company thousands of dollars to get rid of a TS. It just takes a little time and effort.

That aside, you can still continue to be a member of TUG's BBS for no money (if you so desire).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always puts a smile on my face when someone realizes they can give their ownership away themselves, vs being roped in to paying some company a huge upfront fee.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Second hand but I was talking with someone looking to sell their timeshare. They had just met with an exit company charging $5k to get them out and we're planning to go that route.

I told them that their was not much value to their timeshare but I would pay $1-3,000 to them to buy so don't pay to get out.

A week later they told me they found SMTN who is going to get them $20k profit as they can sell for more and cover the fees (of course seller has to pay fees upfront).

SMTN sounds great - but I have seen no one sell for that type of premium. (I did list with SMTN 4 years ago due to huge potential but got 0 offers).

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...I was talking with someone looking to sell their timeshare. They had just met with an exit company charging $5k to get them out and were planning to go that route.

A week later they told me they found SMTN who is going to get them $20k profit as they can sell for more and cover the fees (of course seller has to pay fees upfront).

There are none so blind as those who will not see, as the old saying goes.

It amazes and confounds me that people are somehow able and willing to just "suspend disbelief", choosing to pay big money for a (supposedly) easy "exit / release / escape" avenue that does not actually exist. When they can find a timeshare nearly identical to theirs being offered on eBay for a buck (or in TUG Bargain Deals for free), how / why on earth can they somehow manage to believe they can magically attain a $20k profit, merely by paying big upfront fees?
It just ain't so --- not in this nor in any other universe.

I feel bad for people throwing serious money at parasite operations, but another saying also sadly comes to mind --- a fool and his money are soon parted. :shrug:

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Second hand but I was talking with someone looking to sell their timeshare. They had just met with an exit company charging $5k to get them out and we're planning to go that route.

SMTN sounds great - but I have seen no one sell for that type of premium. (I did list with SMTN 4 years ago due to huge potential but got 0 offers).

Just look at jnealand's post a few posts above. (S)he just proved that you do not need to pay some company thousands of dollars to get rid of a TS. There are other ways (simply asking the resort to take it back comes to mind) to get rid of it for a lot less money.

And what sounds so great about Sell My Timeshare Now (SMTN)? :shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
And what sounds so great about Sell My Timeshare Now (SMTN)? :shrug:
SMTSN tells someone they can sell their timeshare for $20,000. Why give it away for free when you can get $20K just by paying SMTSN some money upfront to list it? This is obviously sarcasm, but this is how the company operates along with many of the other upfront fee listing companies out there. Is TimesharesOnly even still around?

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fly by night catch me if you can company. Wanted info on a item on their website and they told me that it was not available. Really, what in the hell are you selling.

Has anyone had any experience with SellMyTimeshareNow.com ?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the pitch usually reported by folks who contact them is "that resort is currently selling on our site for (insert crazy high amount here)"! basically they seem to use their own overpriced ads as part of the sales pitch to convince owners they will get that amount if they pay the upfront fee.

after all, if you tell someone the truth about their timeshares resale value...its significantly harder to get them to pay you a few hundred bucks.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone here ever actually sold (not listed to sell or bought) from SMTN?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Has anyone here ever actually sold (not listed to sell or bought) from SMTN?
I just tried to buy one, a place, a week that I wanted, priced right $400 negotiable, told this would be my closing costs
$500 to broker
$595 to closing company
$295 to handle paperwork including estoppel
$350 transfer to resort
$1740 total closing costs

Was told I can negotiate price which I assume could be zero but not closing costs. Asked if could present offer to owner to share closing costs and I was told you don't understand, closing costs are not negotiable.

So here is a seller that priced it right, a buyers available and it will be no deal because of the fees that are unreasonable.

The salesperson said your getting it so cheap, it's a bargain even with the closing costs. I actually told him how out of line the closing costs were and its a shame for the seller.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and to think the seller paid hundreds of dollars for that service.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried to buy one, a place, a week that I wanted, priced right $400 negotiable, told this would be my closing costs
$500 to broker
$595 to closing company
$295 to handle paperwork including estoppel
$350 transfer to resort
$1740 total closing costs

Was told I can negotiate price which I assume could be zero but not closing costs. Asked if could present offer to owner to share closing costs and I was told you don't understand, closing costs are not negotiable.

So here is a seller that priced it right, a buyers available and it will be no deal because of the fees that are unreasonable.

The salesperson said your getting it so cheap, it's a bargain even with the closing costs. I actually told him how out of line the closing costs were and its a shame for the seller.
I had a similar experience, although not as extreme as yours. $400 for a unit that was worth about that to us. But over $1K for closing costs. That killed any chance of a deal being struck.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
and to think the seller paid hundreds of dollars for that service.
I received a follow up from the salesperson to see what I decided. I told him as I told you yesterday paying $1740 in closing costs is unreasonable. He abruptly said Ok, I will mark on the computer you are not interested and hung up.

I wonder if the seller was told what they will charge the buyer. How could they present the seller with my offer to share closing costs, if the seller already paid them, don't think they would be happy to see $500 more to the broker.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the seller was told what they will charge the buyer. How could they present the seller with my offer to share closing costs, if the seller already paid them, don't think they would be happy to see $500 more to the broker.

Is their really any "broker" involved at all in a SMTN transaction? I am frankly inclined to doubt it. Would there really be any way to determine that anyhow, since the collective (and excessive) buyer costs, whether real or contrived, are presumably all conveniently co-mingled within a single payment to SMTN?

I theorize that SMTN "broker" fee is really nothing more than a fabrication; a convenient "invention" (i.e., money grab) to extract even more $$$ from a buyer.
AFAIK, sellers don't pre-pay any closing costs to SMTN. Would-be SMTN sellers instead merely pay a very hefty "listing fee" to SMTN; no more and no less.

As far as sellers being told about buyer charges, I'd speculate that SMTN sellers may not be too savvy. After all, they paid serious upfront money just to "list". Accordingly, I doubt that those wannabe sellers would ever think to ask (or much care) about buyer costs after paying SMTN upfront $$$ just to "list". :shrug:

In any case, it's certainly sad if / when pure greed at SMTN precludes successful completion of a transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller.
SMTN is apparently prepared to just hold out for the bigger "score" (for SMTN) --- currently in hand willing buyer and willing seller be damned.

Last edited:

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And in the waiting process the seller keeps paying maintenance fees. Crazy.

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with SellMyTimeshareNow.com ?
I would also like to know this as they just contacted me after I called donate your timeshare. I am trying to liquidate my timeshare. It did not sell here or on eBay.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would also like to know this as they just contacted me after I called donate your timeshare. I am trying to liquidate my timeshare. It did not sell here or on eBay.

few items to comment on this.

1. your ad expired last year after it wasnt renewed...so it hasnt even been on the website since 7/2016
2. you are asking for money for your timeshare
3. you are not offering to pay closing costs for your timeshare

why would you not attempt to correct these items before contacting an upfront fee company to donate your timeshare when each of these options is far less expensive and easier for you to do?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was SMTMN now or a similar outfit, but I thought I would pass along my experience. Could have been a site such as timesharebyowner.

In the past, when I have been interested in a specific timeshare, I set the price I was willing to pay and did a search for every unit I could find, regardless of price. I then submitted an inquiry.

Naturally, I found some units where the owner had listed the unit at multiple sites. I was able to deduce this, and in followup communications I mentioned that I had seen their listing at another (SMTMN perhaps) and had submitted an inquiry there.

Unfortunately often, I received a reply back that the site hadn't informed them that an inquiry had been made about their timeshare.

Lesson: with many sites once they have their listing fee there is no further revenue potential for them. Hence no incentive for continuing service.