• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sell my timeshare now website

CoachK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Has anyone ever dealt with this company for a purchase? I have been looking at some of their inventory recently. Not sure where the most legitimate places to purchase are (ebay, marketplace, online brokers, etc..)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever dealt with this company for a purchase? I have been looking at some of their inventory recently. Not sure where the most legitimate places to purchase are (ebay, marketplace, online brokers, etc..)

SMTN is really just a "listing" site where you may or may not find a good "deal". Due diligence is of course always necessary, regardless of the advertising site, verifying any and all ad details and obtaining estoppel documentation to verify owner account status (not in arrears, no liens).

In the final analysis, it's not the advertising site that matters, whether it's SMTN, RedWeek, TUG, eBay, or wherever else. What ultimately matters is the integrity of the transaction itself. As a buyer, I prefer to have full control regarding the closing company used in a resale purchase. If there are any discrepancies or detail differences between what is advertised and what shows up later in a prepared deed, I certainly want to know about that before the transaction is a "done deal" and long before a deed ever gets recorded.

Buyer selection of a closing entity is usually not even an option with many eBay resellers, who are sometimes their own "closers", merely changing hats for different parts of the transaction (can you say "fox in the henhouse"?), or who mandate use of one specific "closer" with which they have a "close relationship". No thank you --- I prefer to (I insist upon, actually) utilizing an arm's length, third party objective closer of my own selection, one having absolutely no affiliation with (and absolutely no allegiance to) the seller. I am happy to pay closing costs myself as the buyer, but I am selecting the closing entity for the transaction --- not the seller. I simply do not believe in or trust foxes in henhouses. YMMV.

Again, it's not the advertising site that matters. There are good and bad deals to be found on virtually any site advertising resale timeshares.
In any timeshare transaction, the devil is in the details and those details matter. A trustworthy, arm's length closer is of great help and benefit.

Last edited:

CoachK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
SMTN is really just a "listing" site where you may or may not find a good "deal". Due diligence is of course always necessary, regardless of the advertising site, verifying any and all ad details and obtaining estoppel documentation to verify owner account status (not in arrears, no liens).

In the final analysis, it's not the advertising site that truly matters (whether it's RedWeek, TUG, eBay, or wherever). What matters is the integrity of the transaction itself. As a buyer, I want input (actually, I want full control) regarding the closing company used in a resale purchase. If there are any discrepancies or detail differences between what is advertised and what shows up later in a prepared deed, I certainly want to know about that before the transaction is a "done deal" and before the deed ever gets recorded.

Buyer selection of a closing entity is usually not even an option with many eBay resellers, who are sometimes their own "closers", merely changing hats for different parts of the transaction (can you say "fox in the henhouse"?), or who mandate use of one specific "closer" with which they have a "close relationship". No thank you --- I prefer to (I insist upon, truth to tell) utilizing an arm's length, third party objective closer of my own selection, one having absolutely no affiliation with (and absolutely no allegiance to) the seller. I am happy to pay closing costs myself as the buyer, but I am selecting the closing entity for the transaction --- not the seller. I do not believe in or trust foxes in henhouses. YMMV.

Again, it's not the advertising site that matters. There are good and bad deals to be found on virtually any site advertising resale timeshares.
In any timeshare transaction, the devil is always in the details --- and those details really matter.
That is some great information and advice! Thanks very much. Would the estoppel documentation be information that the seller, or his representative would send me electronically? Is it basically a copy of the contract or the account showing that the timeshare is paid for and in good standing? I am sorry if the questions seem obvious, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the process. Even though I sat through several presentations, the details of how the process works is never discussed. They really only talk in generalities. That's why I thought that the site is my best bet to get detailed information and advice. Would it be appropriate to ask the broker to send me account status proof when the time comes?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is some great information and advice! Thanks very much. Would the estoppel documentation be information that the seller, or his representative would send me electronically? Is it basically a copy of the contract or the account showing that the timeshare is paid for and in good standing? I am sorry if the questions seem obvious, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the process. Even though I sat through several presentations, the details of how the process works is never discussed. They really only talk in generalities. That's why I thought that the site is my best bet to get detailed information and advice. Would it be appropriate to ask the broker to send me account status proof when the time comes?

Don't ever be sorry about the learning process, Coach --- we've all been there. People on this site will generally tell it like it is --- no one here is selling you anything and (...most, anyhow) have no hidden agenda.

Ideally, estoppel should originate from the resort or its' management company (and hopefully be on their own company letterhead), bear a reasonably current date and an authorized signature. How it gets relayed to you is up to you and the provider. It's usually just a single page, two at most. To be clear, estoppel is certainly no "be all and end all" document, but it will at least identify and verify unit / week, etc. details and provide a moment in time "snapshot" of the owner account current status (even if the owner name and address is redacted by a reseller, as very often occurs --- reseller may fear getting "aced out" of the transaction entirely if they're selling under a PoA and you were able to learn the owner identity and then maybe attempt to take the transaction private).

This time of year, the date of an estoppel is relevant and important, since you want to verify as potential buyer whether or not the 2017 maintenance fees have been paid yet if the seller is "uncertain" (or evasive) about that detail. An estoppel prepared in December, 2016 (or earlier) for example, won't likely reflect 2017 fees status, since bills would only have just recently been issued back then and not yet due.

Some eBay resellers simply won't offer or provide estoppel documentation at all, or will self-prepare a lame "in house" substitute of their own creation, which plainly just doesn't cut it. Personally, I don't and won't do timeshare business with eBay resellers at all anyhow, but YMMV.

If you end up considering buying through a broker, it would absolutely be appropriate to ask for a current estoppel. Some resellers will moan and groan that the resort charges money for estoppel issuance (...and yes, many do). However, if it's a timeshare that you really and truly want and they don't already have a current estoppel on hand to show you, tell them to get one, show you dated proof of their cost in obtaining it and add the (typically $50 -$100) cost onto your closing costs, but make it clear that you want to see it, one way or another. It should be their "cost of doing business" IMnsHO, but not all see it that way. If someone outright refuses to provide estoppel, I'd really be wondering why...

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Sell My Timeshare in the past 6 months to make a purchase. I recommend them. As a buyer , you will work with a representative of SMTN. The representative I worked with was great: very customer service focused, got ALL the information that I wanted from the buyers, was extremely responsive, etc. The first purchase I was going to make through SMTN fell through, but my representative learned what I was wanting / looking for. He kept his eyes open and a few weeks later he called me and said "I think I have what you are wanting". He did and and it all worked out from there. The rep even gave me guidance on how to negotiate my offer price.

My only complaint is that the process took a long time. It's through no fault of SMTN....they were very helpful. It wound up being the seller dragging their feet on getting the paperwork that was necessary.