• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona area things to do and Grand Canyon

westie8213

Reaction score
I'm planning our Sedona trip for next month. We are staying at Hyatt PP.

On the to-do list already:
* Town sponsored kids event and trolley tour
* Jeep tour
* Day trip to Camp Verde Valley - wildlife park.
* Day trip to Flagstaff - explore area and treetop obstacle course

Need help with Grand Canyon: Complete honesty here....it isn't high on my to-do list, but I feel since we are close we really should. I was hoping to find a helicopter tour out of Sedona, but no luck. Can find group "van" tours and of course we could drive ourselves. Any suggestions?

Up for consideration is train ride, horseback riding and star gazing tour.

We are family of 3 that are active with 11 YO child.

Other things I'm thinking about:
* Any grocery delivery service in area? I have tried to google, called resort and nothing.
* We are flying in/out of PHX....would it be worth it to leave Sedona a day early (or arrive a day later) to see stay in another part of AZ for a night?

Any insight, suggestions or just your two cents welcome!
Expect you have it on your list, but don't forget a day of visiting and/or hiking the various red rock formations there in Sedona. Will second the motion for a visit to Jerome as its a neat little town and is easy/quick to get to. We felt the same way about the Grand Canyon - being so close, we had to go (just drove up). Was there in middle of July and was not a good day at the GC - could barely see the other side due to haziness. Staying at HPP, you'll be able to star gaze each night from the pool/common area. The view out over the valley during the day from the pool area is pretty nice. If you're adventurous (and comfortable with driving off road yourself), rent your own jeep for 4+/- hours for the various off road tours in lieu doing the Pink Jeep. AZ has a lot to see/offer, but Sedona is a wonderful place to spend a week, so I wouldn't cut the stay short to visit another location.

westie8213

Reaction score
I'm planning our Sedona trip for next month. We are staying at Hyatt PP.

* Jeep tour

Need help with Grand Canyon: Complete honesty here....it isn't high on my to-do list, but I feel since we are close we really should. I was hoping to find a helicopter tour out of Sedona, but no luck. Can find group "van" tours and of course we could drive ourselves. Any suggestions?

Up for consideration is train ride, horseback riding and star gazing tour.

We are family of 3 that are active with 11 YO child.

Other things I'm thinking about:
* Any grocery delivery service in area? I have tried to google, called resort and nothing.
* We are flying in/out of PHX....would it be worth it to leave Sedona a day early (or arrive a day later) to see stay in another part of AZ for a night?

Any insight, suggestions or just your two cents welcome!

Agree with suggestion on Slide Rock, Jerome- both are fun for the whole family. A new suggestion: M Diamond ranch about a half hour from Sedona. We took the late afternoon ride and then had a cowboy steak dinner with songs, etc. One of the highlights of our trip in 2015.

webgriffins

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 Slide Rock State Park, fun to do and as much fun to watch others slide.

2 Drive through the Superstition Mountains, outside Phoenix in Apache Junction, Very beautiful will take most of the day and stop halfway at Tortilla Flats for lunch. Once you begin at Apache Junction you can not get lost basically just 1 road. It is about 60 miles I think, but it is slow and beautiful.

3 The Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix,--- go early, there is so much to see, it is not what you would expect, you wear wireless headphones supplied by the museum, and you not only see hundreds of things you have never heard of but they begin to play when you get near them. There is also a hands on room with a Theremin (an instrument that plays without physical contact from the player) everyone loves to play this thing.

4 A bit of a drive, but can be done, The Titan Missile Museum near Tuscon, you get to go down in an actual silo into the control room and learn about the high alert days. They usually pick someone from the group to sit at the controls and they walk through the entire chain of command to launch the missile. You tour through other parts of the command center too and learn of its unique construction to protect it.

5 Along the way to Tuscon, a quick stop at San Xavier Mission, beautiful inside and out. Usually locals outside making homemade "tacos" a good choice for lunch.

6 Also there are lots of Vortex points around Sedona. I have included a list. They are also very beautiful locations for picture taking. Pete Sanders Jr gives a free talk on Vortex's at the Los Abrigados Resort is Sedona. The airport mesa vortex is a nice spot for photos as the sun sets.

Attachments

• SCAN0713.JPG
    SCAN0713.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP4769a.jpg
    IMGP4769a.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP4402a.jpg
    IMGP4402a.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP4410a.jpg
    IMGP4410a.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP5249a.jpg
    IMGP5249a.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP5077.JPG
    IMGP5077.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP5158.JPG
    IMGP5158.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 72
  • SCAN0713.JPG
    SCAN0713.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP4273a.jpg
    IMGP4273a.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 72

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I want to thank the OP and everyone who made suggestions here, we are going to Sedona next March and staying at the Arroyo Roble Resort and after reading your comments we can't hardly wait.

humor_monger

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
* Jeep tour

I would stop at Montezuma's Castle and Well either coming or going from Phoenix or the day you go to http://outofafricapark.com/.
Flagstaff - I would include Walnut Canyon NM which is just outside of town. History wise maybe a visit to the Riordin Mansion https://azstateparks.com/riordan-mansion/
I would tackle GC in a loop. Drive up to Cameron Trading Post, then in to GC from the east, going through and out the west end then either down to Williams (home of The GC Railway and http://bearizona.com/ or part way down cut across to Flagstaff. Sounds like you will want to avoid going down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon.
I agree that you would like Slide Rock State Park but it gets very crowded. Red Rock State Park has some hiking trails and is on the west side of Sedona.
Son Silver in Sedona is a great stop. http://www.sonsilverwest.com/ and I don't remember seeing any mention of Chapel of the Holy Cross. http://www.chapeloftheholycross.com/ but it is on one of the trolley tours. If you are driving there you might want to be early as there is limited parking.

humor_monger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to thank the OP and everyone who made suggestions here, we are going to Sedona next March and staying at the Arroyo Roble Resort and after reading your comments we can't hardly wait.

We stayed there 9 years ago and I really liked it. Units are down by the creek and you can walk along the creek for a little way. The units were VERY dark, but OK. I would definitely go back.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clearly from the extensive lists posted here (all awesome BTW) there are a plethora of options to be considered in my wonderful State of Arizona. And there is a ton of additional, much more adventured oriented options that have to get mentioned. The interesting things in Southern AZ have only gotten cursory attention, for good reason because of distance from Sedona (great suggestions however).

Would strongly caution travelers not to try to get their "did it all" card stamped in a single visit. It's a big state and we have a lot of land mass to cover to get to even a small percentage of the options listed in this thread.

Understand distances and travel times then plan accordingly. The stops along the way generally always end up taking longer than anticipated. People find that, once here, there becomes a discovery that "coming back" isn't a terribly outlandish thing to consider for the future. We get a lot of returning visitors because once or twice is just not enough. And they bring friends. :thumbup:

Most importantly, no matter what time of year you visit, ALWAYS carry water with you. That may seem like a no brainer to some but to many who live in more lush areas, it is not the norm. Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen are also stongly suggested. We get loads of sun all year round so stay protected.

And yes, we actually CAN bake cookies (on a cookiesheet) on the dashboards of our cars in the heat of the summers. Have done it!! It's a thing here. :rolleyes:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nickguillo...ar-because-its?utm_term=.mj00l243b#.bdyewRqOE

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Would strongly caution travelers not to try to get their "did it all" card stamped in a single visit. It's a big state and we have a lot of land mass to cover to get to even a small percentage of the options listed in this thread.
I agree most heartily.................For the 10+ yrs. we have been going home to pinion pointe, we still haven't seen it all. :cool:

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
May have missed it but I would suggest a baseball game in Phoenix. It has an ACed field and you can visit the city in the same trip.

DONCOOK99

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is an excellent train ride out near Jerome. As I recall about an hour out and an hour back. Excellent and interesting scenery. Might be very good for 11 yr old, particularly if they haven't been on a train before.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hands down our favorite Sedona hike was Oak Creek Canyon, although we did it in the fall when the leaves were turning. It was spectacular and one of our top 5 hikes of all time. We also hiked all over the Sedona area - you can't go wrong because the scenery is everywhere. We took the Pink Jeep tour and weren't blown away. In fact they took us to a place where we had easily hiked the day before. If you are pressed for time, then it's a yes. If you are hiking every day, I wouldn't spend the money. We also enjoyed the hiking at Red Rock Crossing. We did the drive up to the Grand Canyon as well. A definite yes.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
May have missed it but I would suggest a baseball game in Phoenix. It has an ACed field and you can visit the city in the same trip.

I was there yesterday for opening day and the roof was open. In the sun it was very hot. Luckily we were on third base side and in the shade exactly at game time. I had to stand in the concourse until game time.

During the summer the roof is closed most if not all of the time. Day games are great then. Night games too.

It is a great ball park. It would be a difficult round trip from Sedona. But a good thing to do if flying in/out of Phoenix on travel day.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had exactly the opposite experience at HPP. Perhaps that we own another Hyatt made the difference. Our room was on the top floor with a magnificent view. The unit was in mint condition. We were so impressed that we are planning to buy a unit there..

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All - we have decided on horseback riding one day. Any recommendations?

I was looking up the M Diamond Ranch and looks like it is local and they also offer either lunch or dinner. Anyone been?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
"that 89A the shortest way and most spectacular drive through oak creek canyon is closed at night at the switch backs going up to Flagstaff until this fall. There will be construction closing the road to one lane during the day. Coming back to Sedona from points north at night you would have to back track on I17 to 179 to go back to Sedona. This would add about 1.5 to 2.5 hrs. driving time, from the junction of I40 and I17."

You kind of have me scared that I will accidently get and find the road closed. What time of night does it close? Wouldn't this impact a return from the Grand Canyon?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
"that 89A the shortest way and most spectacular drive through oak creek canyon is closed at night at the switch backs going up to Flagstaff until this fall. There will be construction closing the road to one lane during the day. Coming back to Sedona from points north at night you would have to back track on I17 to 179 to go back to Sedona. This would add about 1.5 to 2.5 hrs. driving time, from the junction of I40 and I17."

You kind of have me scared that I will accidently get and find the road closed. What time of night does it close? Wouldn't this impact a return from the Grand Canyon?

I only can tell you that when we went to the Grand Canyon (in July) from Sedona we arrived there at 9am sharp when the park opened. We took the bus shuttle to all the lookouts and had lunch at the lodge and then headed back to Sedona in the afternoon- plenty of daylight. I do not know when the sun goes down in Arizona- you are going next month- May?

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but for some of the parking areas on US lands you will need to have a pass. If you have a national parks annual pass I think that works. I got the red rocks pass described at this site. This map shows where the pass is required. It's been a while since I was there, but if I remember the pass was a hang tag for the mirror. I was hiking most days so I just got the weekly pass. there was also one state park that accepted the pass as well. It's been a while and things could have changed. Even if you don't need the pass the map could be useful even if it is kind of cartoonish.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west

I'm not sure at what time the road would actually close at night. It would probably be some time around sun down( I would think). As previous posted, leave early in the morning to be there when it opens, in May I would think leaving the park by 3:00/4:00 PM, you should be fine. As to using the bus to get to the lockout points, you can drive to any and all. Definitely eat at the El Torvo, good food, and if you get a table at the window it can't be beat. Our TS at Pinion Pointe is in in Oct., so basically same amount of day light. We had no problems in being back for sunset at the airport mesa in Sedona. With in the mentioned time frame.
The quickest way back (in my opinion) would be the south gate on 64 to I40 east to I17. Depending on what time you left the park you could then make a judgement call to either continue south on I17 or try 89A. You would be at the turn for 89A to Sedona with in 2/3 miles from I40. To take 89A from I17 you would have app. 30 min. or so before you came to the switch backs going down to Oak creek canyon. There should be signs before hand to tell you closer times. Saying all that, if you have the opportunity to go to the GC, by all means go. :thumbup:

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
State Route 89A Switchbacks Improvement Project on Hold due to Slide Fire

May 23, 2014 - 11:30 am
Due to the ongoing firefighting efforts against the Slide Fire in Oak Creek Canyon, the State Route 89A improvement project along the switchbacks north of Sedona is on hold at this time, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.

ADOT had been preparing for a scheduled closure of the SR 89A switchbacks for a pavement and safety-improvement project starting on Tuesday, May 27, at the conclusion of the Memorial Day weekend.

Crews were pulled off the project Tuesday afternoon shortly after the start of the Slide Fire, which originated approximately six miles south of the project near Slide Rock State Park.

Currently, SR 89A (mileposts 375-397) remains closed in both directions between Sedona and Flagstaff due to a wildfire that began Tuesday afternoon in the Oak Creek Canyon area.

Once the fire has been contained and access is allowed in the affected area, ADOT will need to conduct a roadway and rock fall assessment prior to any work resuming on the SR 89A project. Any potential environmental issues must also be addressed following the fire and all post-fire operations will be coordinated with the U.S. Forest Service.

Work began on the $2 million project to upgrade a three-and-a-half-mile segment of SR 89A between the Pine Flat Campground and Vista Point Overlook (mileposts 387-390) on April 21.

ADOT is working with fire officials and state emergency managers to ensure the safety of drivers and is assisting with traffic control. As an alternative route, ADOT is recommending motorists take State Route 179 to Interstate 17 to travel between Sedona and Flagstaff.

There is no estimated time for the highway to reopen.

ADOT will provide updates on the status of the project and planned closure as additional information becomes available.
The article I found on the Arizona dept. of trans. It would appear that if you are going before Memorial day, you should be fine. The "switch back improvement project" is what closes the road until fall.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm not sure at what time the road would actually close at night. It would probably be some time around sun down( I would think). As previous posted, leave early in the morning to be there when it opens, in May I would think leaving the park by 3:00/4:00 PM, you should be fine. As to using the bus to get to the lockout points, you can drive to any and all. Definitely eat at the El Torvo, good food, and if you get a table at the window it can't be beat. Our TS at Pinion Pointe is in in Oct., so basically same amount of day light. We had no problems in being back for sunset at the airport mesa in Sedona. With in the mentioned time frame.
The quickest way back (in my opinion) would be the south gate on 64 to I40 east to I17. Depending on what time you left the park you could then make a judgement call to either continue south on I17 or try 89A. You would be at the turn for 89A to Sedona with in 2/3 miles from I40. To take 89A from I17 you would have app. 30 min. or so before you came to the switch backs going down to Oak creek canyon. There should be signs before hand to tell you closer times. Saying all that, if you have the opportunity to go to the GC, by all means go. :thumbup:

Are you sure about being allowed to drive to the lookout points? I thought you were not permitted to drive to the main lookout points and that is why they have the buses. Too much congestion.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
From sts1732 post above:
"State Route 89A Switchbacks Improvement Project on Hold due to Slide Fire

May 23, 2014 - 11:30 am"

Note the date on that report. You can check road conditions in Arizona at AZ511. They currently list the closure as nightly starting at 9pm. Taking I-17 back to Sedona vs 89A can actually be faster and it is definitely an easier drive. It is a few more miles (12) , but at 70 mph vs 20-30mph and if there is a lot of traffic it can definitely be faster especially at night. It certainly doesn't add 1.5-2.5 hours as quoted above. Without construction or traffic, the freeway adds about 20 minutes. So if you end up returning later from the GC, just take I-17 on the return.

Are you sure about being allowed to drive to the lookout points? I thought you were not permitted to drive to the main lookout points and that is why they have the buses. Too much congestion.

It depends on the time of year. In the winter, the gates are open and you can drive out to Hermit's Rest. From March-Nov, they gate it and run a free shuttle which is better than driving. You can get off and on and walk the rim trails between some points or ride and look at the scenery instead of the car bumper in front of you. The shuttle is really a nice option.

Sue

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
We drove the east gates all the way through in Oct. Yes....congestion is a concern if you are on a time table, but then as stated we arrived early, ate, and still made Sedona before dark.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We drove to the Grand Canyon from Sedona, and it was a nice drive. We love to ride in the car, however. We drove from Denver to Sedona in our car. When we get a new car, I would like to drive to Phoenix/ Scottsdale and stay at the Westin. Our car is now 14 years old, but it's an Avalon, and I cannot see Rick getting a new car anytime soon. We do love it.

Anyway, we didn't do a lot of touristy things. We did a lot of driving around the area to see the rocks and stopped at the church in the rocks. That was beautiful. Rick had a tough time getting me out of the gift shop.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We did the bus shuttle as I think you had to. We got there at 9am sharp as the gates opened. Best thing we did because as we left later in the day the park became very crowded. This was in July.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
From sts1732 post above:
"State Route 89A Switchbacks Improvement Project on Hold due to Slide Fire

May 23, 2014 - 11:30 am"

Note the date on that report. You can check road conditions in Arizona at AZ511. They currently list the closure as nightly starting at 9pm. Taking I-17 back to Sedona vs 89A can actually be faster and it is definitely an easier drive. It is a few more miles (12) , but at 70 mph vs 20-30mph and if there is a lot of traffic it can definitely be faster especially at night. It certainly doesn't add 1.5-2.5 hours as quoted above. Without construction or traffic, the freeway adds about 20 minutes. So if you end up returning later from the GC, just take I-17 on the return.

It depends on the time of year. In the winter, the gates are open and you can drive out to Hermit's Rest. From March-Nov, they gate it and run a free shuttle which is better than driving. You can get off and on and walk the rim trails between some points or ride and look at the scenery instead of the car bumper in front of you. The shuttle is really a nice option.

Sue
I had inadvertently copied and pasted the wrong notice from the ADOT. For this I apologize. Also consider this, if it takes you 15/20 min. from I40/I17 intersection to get to the vista overlook at the switch backs, then another 35/40 min. to get to Sedona city limits(on a good day in day light) it seems to me we are in same time frame. The speed limit on I17 is 70 MPH but not on 179. Once you get to the village of Oak creek village and thru the roundabouts your lucky to even get up to speed limit(in day light or night). I've spent time doing 30/40 MPH a few times both day and night from Oak creek thru Bell rock to Sedona. At night with being new to the area, not knowing the road, and we al know that dark has a new meaning in the high desert. My guess would be that it would stretch the time frame. I was generous with my time frame for that reasoning. It is better to be safe than sorry, but depending on the time of day at your comfort level, it's the OP's choice given the circumstances.