• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scotland next year

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I am currently at the very awesome Edinburgh Residences for the next week. Then will move on to HGVC Craigandorrach Suites in Ballater, and then a few hotel days in Troon.

Mine were both rentals, so no info from me on exchanging. But other questions- fire away.

If you're still in Edinburgh I can recommend a fantastic restaurant on George IV Bridge, The Outsider. Exceptional food and very reasonable prices, particularly the bin end wines. http://www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com/

It's a ten minute walk from the castle and about two minutes from the National Museum of Scotland.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
If you're still in Edinburgh I can recommend a fantastic restaurant on George IV Bridge, The Outsider. Exceptional food and very reasonable prices, particularly the bin end wines. http://www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com/

I'll add to that my 3 favorites when I stayed at Edinburgh Residence: Castle Terrace for a special occasion (we went there on the US Thanksgiving holiday since we were missing it at home). Two others that had good food and reasonable set lunch or dinner menus: L'Escargot Blanc about a 5 minute walk, and Chez Jules a bit further, closer to the main tourist areas.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thanks for the restaurant recommendations!

The Outside Restaurant looks like a great deal for lunch and right near the Scottish National Museum which we're planning on visiting.

Chez Jules was right next door to where we ate breakfast today. Menu looks awesome. I love Duck a la Orange but no one makes it any more. :)

We passed Le Escargot Blanc yesterday walking to dinner. I liked the look of the wine bar, we'll have to hit that up before we depart.

:)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Enjoyed a visit to the wine bar at Le Escargot Blanc today

Round one:

0D88298C-4EC6-4A0C-9FE9-3547D8F47704.jpg

Round two:

70CEB649-1F53-4D03-886D-4057E353175D.jpg

Round three got nixed by my spouse, lol:

E49929D5-3D4A-437A-973D-893967D3CAAD.jpg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am starting to consider a possible trip to Scotland next summer. Does anyone have experience with timeshares there? Which exchange company would be most likely to get something there?

We stayed in the Kilconquhar Castle Resort on the Isle of Fife in June a few years ago though a private rental from a TUG member and really enjoyed it. We flew from NY to Edinburgh, rented a car, and were on our merry way. I believe this resort is in RCI.

It was a comfortable cottage but not a royal crown by US standards which is to be expected. Electricity is expensive so you have breakers to deal with and have to pay electricity when you check out.

The grounds are lovely. We were able to visit Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Loch Lomond, and the Braveheart Castle in Sterling and the Roslyn Chapel and the Bunker and surrounding areas on the sea from there. A wonderful trip. Only there for 8 days total with the flying days included.

I will say it rained a lot and was chilly most times.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We've been trying to plan a visit to Scotland with some distillery visits in the various regions.

Anyone have a good suggestion for how one might get a party of 3-4 persons from a centrally-based timeshare (or two) to the distillery's and back home again? I'm not thinking busses will work.

Thanks in advance....lurking and reading.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Kilconquhar Castle Resort

I have a 4 bedroom exchange thru RCI confirmed last fall for October 2017 so subscribing to this thread. Stayed at Edinburgh Residence in Fall 2015 and can't wait to go back. Thx for the restaurant recommendations. We will probably spend two nights in Edunburgh before checkin into to the Castle. Traveling with two other TUG friends. Looking forward to exploring the area.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
PS I don't know....didn't care for the food except the fish and chips. We didn't eat out that much. The exchange rate wasn't good when we went.

Don't like whiskey so didn't go to distilleries.

tedk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Aviemore in August and managed to visit seven distilleries. Half of those you would have needed a car. If you know where you are stopping i might be able to help. Aviemore is a good place to stay for getting to a number of distilleries, either by bus or train.
Ted

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We've been trying to plan a visit to Scotland with some distillery visits in the various regions.

Anyone have a good suggestion for how one might get a party of 3-4 persons from a centrally-based timeshare (or two) to the distillery's and back home again? I'm not thinking busses will work.

Thanks in advance....lurking and reading.

We did a whisky tasting at the Scotch Whisky experience here in Edinburgh, it's on the Royal Mile right near the Edinburgh Castle. You get a pretty good overview of the different types of whiskies from the various regions of Scotland & the best thing is that you can do it on foot.

We'll be staying relatively near the Speyside distilleries when we're at HGVC Craigandorrach but I'm not sure we'll spend much more time at whisky. I'll let you know if the timeshare has any organized whisky tours.

4E38EA3A-FA6E-4ACE-A099-9E210C468F25.jpg

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
That's a LOT of whiskey! Good thing you were walking not driving!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We stayed in Aviemore in August and managed to visit seven distilleries. Half of those you would have needed a car. If you know where you are stopping i might be able to help. Aviemore is a good place to stay for getting to a number of distilleries, either by bus or train.
Ted

We did a whisky tasting at the Scotch Whisky experience here in Edinburgh, it's on the Royal Mile right near the Edinburgh Castle. You get a pretty good overview of the different types of whiskies from the various regions of Scotland & the best thing is that you can do it on foot.

We'll be staying relatively near the Speyside distilleries when we're at HGVC Craigandorrach but I'm not sure we'll spend much more time at whisky. I'll let you know if the timeshare has any organized whisky tours.

Thanks so very much.
There are some major Dist. I'd like to hit in different regions, but there are so many, I can just visit what works for each trip.
Look forward to reading. Great to hear about the bus/train options!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
planning for a few summer ahead. if anyone gets a 2BR in summer months, please post so I know what to anticipate. thanks, Elaine

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in Edinburgh for a few days July 2017. I had/have an OGS with II for the Edinburgh area but will be booking through homeaway.co.uk because I don't want to get stuck without accommodations. Good luck on your search.
Can anyone recommend a private guide: one day to loch ness/highlands and maybe a distillery.
Thank you in advance.
Suzanne.

King86

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton craigendarroch
My husband and I are going to the Open golf tournament at Carnoustie in 2018. We will probably stay at a hotel in St. Andrews. We have been to Scotland once before, staying at Moness. We rented a car at that time, but would prefer not to drive this time. We would like to extend our stay at a time share either before or after the tournament. Can anyone recommend a time share that would be reasonably close to St. Andrews and also within a taxi ride of a train station? We own Wyndham points and trade through RCI. Thank you!
hi Elizabeth I live in Dundee the closest T/S to St Andrews I think is Kilconquhar although this is not a short ride from a train station and if you are using st Andrews if you haven't booked already book something quick the prices in and around St Andrews sky rocket for the open D