*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Scammer Replied to My TUG Ad

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by Robert D, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Robert D

Robert D Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I received this reply to one of my TUG classified ads for a TS for sale:

"Hello, i am Dr Tims millner O Neary PHD. i saw the timeshare you posted for sale here and i am glad to inform you that i am really interested in acquiring the timeshare. i am a prospective buyer and i do wish to buy the timeshare as soon as possible before my wife's birthday which is fast approaching because i intend to make the timeshare a Surprise package for her birthday and also to commemorate our silver jubilee wedding anniversary. kindly get back to me with the condition for sale and the price you are willing to sell the timeshare with your preferable Mode of payment. hope to read from you soon. Thanks God Bless you Dr Tim."

All of the terms were clearly spelled out in the ad and this sounds like a scam reply that you receive on Craig's List ads. Anyone else received one like this? I'm not sure it's even worth replying to. His email address is a gmail address (i.e. web based, which it typical of scammers).

2. MommaBear

MommaBear TUG Member

3. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Come on, he's a PhD. You gotta trust him. He never learned proper grammar, but so what? Don't bother to reply.

4. Sandi Bo

Sandi Bo TUG Member

And let me guess, I bet he doesn't smoke and he 'has no pets'.

5. Rent_Share

Rent_Share Guest

I strongly disagree with that generalization, If someone is in business them their email should have a sense of permanence associated with a dedicated web site, but just because someone uses gmail with it's additional features as opposed to their ISP's email service doesn't make them a scammer

http://www.tech24hours.com/2009/09/number-of-gmail-users-worldwide-as-of.html

That would be 651.3 MILLION SCAMMERS as of 2009 if using an internet based email is the criteria for judging someone a scammer

There are 17 other reasons this is a scam, but the usage of gmail is certainly not one of them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. Robert D

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who uses a web based email account is a scammer but virtually all scamers I've come across have had web based email addresses such as yahoo or gmail.

7. foreverloves

foreverloves Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Amen. I've never seen a scammer using a legitimate, ISP-based email address. I say 'legitimate' because spoofing a real email address isn't really using it. Anonymous, web-based email should be step 1 (of several) to prove something isn't legit. It is not the only basis.

8. mpumilia

mpumilia Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I just got this the other day - no Steven in my household! (I was advertising a wish for a timeshare rental - wanting a gold crown resort in Scotland) And it's signed Carla, but the e-mail address is from "Nicole"

Nocole Allen
    nicoleallen2262@yahoo.com
    407-910-1251 Hey Steven i was just browsing the ads when i came across yours and noticed that you were interested in a unit at Gold Crown in Scotland. Give me a call at 407-910-1251 as i may be able to assist you. Thanks Carla 2011/07/06
    DELETE

9. Larry

Larry TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Just got this today!!!!!!

Hello, i am Dr Tims Millner O Neary PHD. i saw the timeshare you posted for sale here and i am glad to inform you that i am really interested in acquiring the timeshare. i am a prospective buyer and i do wish to buy the timeshare as soon as possible before my wife's birthday which is fast approaching because i intend to make the timeshare a Surprise package for her birthday and also to commemorate our silver jubilee wedding anniversary. kindly get back to me with the condition for sale and the price you are willing to sell the timeshare with your preferable Mode of payment. hope to read from you soon.

Thanks God Bless you

Dr Tim.

Maybe he just wants to buy all of our timeshares:shrug: :crash: :deadhorse:

10. jasnkas

jasnkas Guest

Received today

I also received a message from the good Doctor:

Hello, i am Dr Tims Millner O Neary PHD. i saw the timeshare you posted for sale here and i am glad to inform you that i am really interested in acquiring the timeshare. i am a prospective buyer and i do wish to buy the timeshare as soon as possible before my wife's birthday which is fast approaching because i intend to make the timeshare a Surprise package for her birthday and also to commemorate our silver jubilee wedding anniversary. kindly get back to me with the condition for sale and the price you are willing to sell the timeshare with your preferable Mode of payment. hope to read from you soon. Thanks God Bless you Dr Tim

11. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I got two. I guess he wants to surprise his wife with a LOT of timeshares :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

12. Rent_Share

Rent_Share Guest

Maybe he read the thread about FULL TIME time sharing

13. JOHNPELICAN84

JOHNPELICAN84 TUG Member

Purchase scam

:annoyed: I too received the same message from Dr. Tim. It would be nice if he really wanted to purchase all the timeshare units for the price stated. :rofl:

14. Rent_Share

Rent_Share Guest

Actually he will probably send more than they are listed for, just refund the difference in Western Union Funds

15. Sandi Bo

Sandi Bo TUG Member

I'm feeling really left out.

16. Robert D

I replied to his first inquiry and told him I only took Paypal. Got another reply back from him today that I deleted saying he would send his representative to sign the papers. The guy or gal must think we're all idiots.

17. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Did anyone get the one I got - Nicole Allen/Carla?

18. Larry

This idiot just sent me the same message with a new name.

"Hello, am Engr. Holly Duke, i saw the timeshare you posted for sale here and i am glad to inform you that i am really interested in acquiring the timeshare.I am a prospective buyer and i do wish to buy the timeshare as soon as possible before my wife's birthday which is fast approaching because i intend to make the timeshare a Surprise package for her birthday also to commemorate our silver jubilee wedding anniversary.Kindly get back to me with the condition for sale and the price you are willing to sell the timeshare with your preferable Mode of payment. Hope to read from you soon. God Bless you. Engr Holly"

So instead of Dr, Tim he/she is now Engr. Holly???

What an ass:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

19. qlaval

qlaval TUG Member

Lol... me too :hysterical:

But this time his name is Hollu Duke.....

I thought I was the first victim...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  20. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

No, it's Holly Duke! Both Holly and Tim want to surprise their wives!

21. Larry

They will be the Duke and Dutchess of the timeshare world after buying up all of the timeshares listed on TUG!!!!!!!:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

22. longmorn3

longmorn3 TUG Member

Our friendly scammer is quite busy, isn't he or she?

I was in receipt of the following message from the Timeshare Users Group website sent on the 18th (yesterday) in response to my classified ad:

"-- Hello, am Engr. Holly Duke, i saw the timeshare you posted for sale here and i am glad to inform you that i am really interested in acquiring the timeshare. I am a prospective buyer and i do wish to buy the timeshare as soon as possible before my wife's birthday which is fast approaching because i intend to make the timeshare a Surprise package for her birthday also to commemorate our silver jubilee wedding anniversary. Kindly get back to me with the condition for sale and the price you are willing to sell the timeshare with your preferable Mode of payment. Hope to read from you soon. God Bless you. Engr Holly."

I responded:

Villa 412 is currently listed at $46,000.00 US per week (2 weeks – 9 and 10 – first two weeks of March). The resort is selling similar 2-bedroom villas with Infinity pools at $64,900 US per week.

The resort has the right of first refusal once an offer is made.

I would prefer to deal through a timeshare broker and the terms are cash upon the completion of any sale. The resort also charges an administration fee $800.00 US per week to process the sale, which is the responsibility of the purchaser.

-Phil

I got this response to my response about five hours after I replied this morning (19th):

"Hello, i wish to inform you of my gladness at your rapt attention and swift reply to my willingness to acquire the timeshare you posted for sale. I am so ready to buy the property asap. Like i have earlier inscribed, i am willing to buy the Timeshare before my wife's birthday and also Our wedding anniversary which is fast approaching..Mind you my preferable mode of payment will be in (CERTIFIED CHECK) ok? and i will arrange for a pick up as soon as the paper work we take place immediately i will get my associate to fly over to you and sign all possible document in acquiring the timeshare if all deal goes as i envisage. kindly get back to me as soon as possible with this information Required from you to get the check issue out to you and
    the Price you are selling the time-Share.

Name to be on Check:
    Address:
    state:
    Zip-code
    City:
    Amount selling the Time-share.

Thanks God bless you...

Engr Holly Duke."

The scammer should learn how to write a tad better. "Rapt attention"? I hope that no one gets taken. The grammer is pretty poor.

Regards,
    -Phil

23. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I just got another one from Nicole Allen in response to my wish list ad! Very strange!