*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Scam, I think.

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by Ruger2506, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 Guest

Any of you hear of Allied Escrow International out of Texas. All seemed legit till they wanted me to send $4327 to SAT in Mexico. Seems fishy as heck to me now.

My story now sounds very similar to others listed on here. They have a buyer who wants our timeshare but we must pay Mexican tax Before funds are released.

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Not likely. To the best of our knowledge, there is NO Mexican tax that is required to be paid before a timeshare Right to Use (remember, there are no deeds- In Mexico, you own nothing) can be transferred.

We understand that some resorts are requiring many multiples of MF to effect a transfer, but it isn't a tax.

Best wishes.

3. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 Guest

This was a tax to be paid to the SAT (Mexican IRS) before the funds could be released for reimbursement.

4. Passepartout

Did the bill come directly from them (SAT) or from the 'escrow' outfit? And to satisfy my curiosity, how much is this 'ready buyer' paying for your timeshare? Mexican TSs seldom rent for enough to pay MF, I'm skeptical.

At the least, I'd call Profeco, the Mexican Consumer Protection agency and ask.

Jim

5. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 Guest

Allied offered us $34800 (us) and they said they will middle man it (sell it) for $36200 to the buyer. 200 weeks at the El Dorado Royale Riveria Maya.

SAT bill came from ALLIED. said we could go to Mexico and deal with SAT in person if we liked. Just seems fishy as heck to me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  6. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 Guest

For what it is worth, we really do want to get ride of this package. Despite the scammers calling us.

7. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 Guest

Hadn't planned on it. This screams scam to me.

8. Passepartout

I would be VERY skeptical. Even the very BEST, most stable, deeded TSs, Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc, seldom sell for as much as $10,000 resale. I couldn't find yours on eBay, but that doesn't mean much. I think you would send that much money at your peril.

I would communicate to the 'escrow' outfit that they pay the 'tax', and you'll take $5,000 less at closing, giving them a tidy $600 extra profit. I think you'll never hear from them again. It's a scam to separate you from your money, the 'buyer' will evaporate and you'll still have the TS.

9. RX8

RX8 TUG Member

Not a shred of doubt in my mind - this is a scam.

This is now an old Scam. First a cold call, then claiming they have a buyer waiting to pay thousands of dollars for something that is worth practically nothing. When they get you drooling over your windfall they hit you with a required "tax" to complete your sale. Finally, they promise you will be reimbursed for the tax you have to pay so you still have your full windfall. Once you pay they disappear.

More proof that this is a scam? They claim on their website that they have handled thousands of transactions. However, their website was created in July 2013. Scammers create "throw away" websites that they use until they scammed enough people and word gets out that they are a scam. Then, they simply create a new website and start over. They probably do this many times over.

Oh, one more red flag. They claim they are in Texas. However, if you Google or call anyone near that address you will find out there is no one at that address by their name. Even though their telephone appears to be a landline in Dallas it is actually a VoIP (Internet number). They are likely working from Mexico well out the the range of US authorities.

Edited after a little research:

Below is a copy from the USPS website. In short, their address doesn't exist in the eyes of the postal service.

You entered:
    1122 WOOD ST
    DALLAS TX 75201
    Here's the full address, using standard abbreviations and formatting...

The address you provided is not recognized by the US Postal Service as an address we serve. Mail sent to this address may be returned.

Edited one last time:

Another way you can spot a scam is to take a snippet of their website verbiage and Google it. Doing so in this case reveals that a whole paragraph of the scammers "about us" page is stolen from www.timeshareresalesusa.com page. I know nothing about that timeshareresalesusa but they have been around since 1997.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Sing to the tune of the Howdy Doody show:

It's Scam-a-Roonie Time,
    It's Scam-a-Ronnie Time......

11. pacodemountainside

pacodemountainside TUG Member

Tell them you have a friend that owns six of these and will sell to them for $10K each so they can triple their money.:banana:

Modified version of olde Nigerian trunk of money scam. :ponder:

12. capjak

capjak TUG Member

post it on TUG for free, you may get a bite or ebay for free.