• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sayonara Sayulita

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think we've had it with Sayulita.

We've been visiting Sayulita regularly for about eight years now - almost every year. We've watched it steadily being overrun by tourists, and losing almost all of it's Mexican charm. Our visit last month was the end of the line.

Two things. First, the town has simply been overwhelmed with tourists. Given the size of the town, it is more densely touristed than is Puerto Vallarta. Having grown as a surf/beach town, it's a different type of tourism - new age and aging hippie vibe - than the Puerto Vallarta scene. But I don't have to go to Mexico if I want to experience a California beach town. There really isn't much left of the town that is Mexican. Except in one respect - I have yet to visit a California beach town that has a cock-fighting arena on the main drag into town.

I was chatting with some locals; they were interested in knowing what we had been doing. When I mentioned Sayulita their eyes rolled a little bit, then we got into a conversation of how it had been completely taken over by the new age tourism.

Second, the place is a cesspool. Almost literally. Here is a picture of the outfall from the sewage treatment plant, taken from the beach area about fifty yards downstream from the outfall. (Note: not my pictures.)

24f96bd8f4c8c4c8d2ffddf0e6fb4ce2-sayulita1.png

As nearly as I can tell, this is pretty basic sewage treatment, providing what is called "primary treatment". Which means the influent goes into a tank, things that settle and float get removed, the rest gets discharged.

And the plant was built long before the town experienced it's tourism boom. Meaning the plant is grossly undersized and doesn't even do primary treatment very well.

When we were there a couple of weeks ago the stench of untreated sewage permeated the whole downtown and the entire south half of the beach. Almost all of the flow in the stream was the effluent from the treatment plant. Scavenging birds were flocking into the river downstream of the outfall - none upstream, no food there.

And the waves are full of surfers, who are literally surfing in less than half-treated sewage mixed with seawater.

If you want a beach town that retains at least some Mexican flavor, Bucerias wins hands down. Plus the Bucerias beach beats Sayulita in every way possible (except for not having the long wave break that surfers like - but the surf height is actually bigger at Bucerias, from what I've seen when we've been there). Or, if you want something more like what Sayulita used to be, take the bus to San Pancho (San Francisco), the next beach north of Sayulita.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ewwww! 'Nuff said. I'll take a pass. Thanks Steve.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ew! That's so gross...Have not been to that part of Mexico for years. I liked Punta de Mita :)...

taffy19

Reaction score
We have never been to Sayulita yet and I really wanted to go this year. We were told exactly the same story that you described here so decided not to go.

Thank you, Steve, for posting your other story too and would like to do this next time.

Puerto Vallarta - nice visit to El Tuito

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have never been to Sayulita yet and I really wanted to go this year. We were told exactly the same story that you described here so decided not to go.

Thank you, Steve, for posting your other story too and would like to do this next time.

Puerto Vallarta - nice visit to El Tuito
Emmy - do San Pancho instead. Leaving WalMart, you just need to be sure you get on a bus that continues on to San Pancho (San Francisco). About 30 minutes more times each way. If memory serves correctly, the added fare to San Pancho is five pesos more, each direction.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Some friends who live down around Punta de Mita took us to Sayulita in November, and we were very disappointed, as were our "kids" (40&45) who said they would not go back. We did enjoy some time at a little place in Punta de Mita before meeting our friends to go to Sayulita, but you are correct, Bucerias is better. We always have a Bucerias day when in the PV area since our first visit in 1992 and have never been disappointed there. We generally take a bus from PV to Bucerias and sometimes take a taxi back - just depends on how long we stayed. :)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for your report Steve. I've added a link to this thread to the sticky with PV info.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Interesting. I was in Sayulita two years ago for a day and we loved it. Of course, I was surfing and the waves were perfect that day. It has a California surf town vibe for sure.

I'll sniff around the next time I'm there.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another suggestion for a town to visit would be Tehuamixtle and Mayto, which are ~ 1 1/2 south of PV. A great step back in time. Get there before it becomes touristy!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was in Sayulita two years ago for a day and we loved it. Of course, I was surfing and the waves were perfect that day. It has a California surf town vibe for sure.

I'll sniff around the next time I'm there.
Even if it doesn't smell, you'll still be surfing in sewage.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, many locations "discovered" and then reported are often overrun by tourists who don't necessarily treat the area with respect.

TacoTerry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Krystal Cancun, Villa del Palmar Flamingos, Lake Chelan
Thanks Steve, you just saved us a wasted trip on our next Flamingo's trip in Nov. I think we'll go visit San Blas instead, it was my wifes' favorite place to visit on weekends while she was in school in Guadalajara ('75). We've visited Bucerias ever year at least twice during our stays since the early 2000's. We first walked the town in 1983, lots of things have changed, lots of things are the same. The beach is still Bitchin', that will never change!
TacoTerry

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
THanks for sharing Steve. I might also add there has been an existing issue with illness, intestinal illnesses in Sayulita for some time now. I have not gone in quite a few years due to this.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, you just saved us a wasted trip on our next Flamingo's trip in Nov. I think we'll go visit San Blas instead, it was my wifes' favorite place to visit on weekends while she was in school in Guadalajara ('75). We've visited Bucerias ever year at least twice during our stays since the early 2000's. We first walked the town in 1983, lots of things have changed, lots of things are the same. The beach is still Bitchin', that will never change!
TacoTerry
In Bucerias there is wonderful leather goods storre mixed in with all of the stalls. As you head toward the beach on main street, go left and navigate through the stalls for one blocks. Start heading back toward the beach, and look for the leather goods store on the left about three or blocks from the water.

The quality is good and the prices are outstanding - 10% to 20% of what the same goods would cost in the US. That aroma of finished leather is divine.

Prices aren't marked, but they don't do much haggling. The best I've been able to do is one time when I was buying two hats that were five hundred pesos each. After some back and forth they agreed on both of them 900 pesos.