• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Diego

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We are thinking about going to San Diego next year. Probably not in a timeshare but staying in a hotel resort. We have never been there, and I am wondering if I would need a car.
I would rather not have one since I am unfamiliar with the area.
Is it easy to get around on foot and by taxi?
Thanks, Sue

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need a car if you want to go to places like the Zoo, Coronado, Safari Park. San Diego is spread out. Not that you couldn't see enough parts to fill a few days without a car using public transport and taxi's, but you'd see more, in less time by driving. Driving around S.D. is not all that difficult.(IMO)

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Agreeing with Jim, above: Yes, you really want a car.

San Diego is a very large county and sites are spread out. Our local public transportation (bus/rail/trolley) is minimal except for the downtown area. I doubt 'downtown' is what you are coming to see -- so get a car, program your gps/phone for directions and enjoy. :)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Agreeing with Jim, above: Yes, you really want a car.

San Diego is a very large county and sites are spread out. Our local public transportation (bus/rail/trolley) is minimal except for the downtown area. I doubt 'downtown' is what you are coming to see -- so get a car, program your gps/phone for directions and enjoy. :)

+1

You will need a car if you want to see San Diego; it's not a close call.

dori47

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
WorldMark
We head there tomorrow and are not planning on getting a car, will see how it goes, but what we are planning on seeing and what you are planning on seeing may be different.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am with the "you'll need a car" group. Anywhere in California, except if you stay in San Francisco, you need a car.

We were there a couple of years ago and stayed in the Wyndham Balboa Park (which was kind of mis-named). We were able to use the trolley to get to a lot of places, and did, but there were places you just have to have a car to see. For example, we took a drive up the coast. Can't do that without a car.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As others have stated, you NEED a car in San Diego, unless you plan on staying at one place the whole time, which wastes coming to San Diego. When are you coming, where will you stay, what will you do? We have our rush hour traffic, but getting around is easy. Lots of wide open roads, with easy to navigate freeways. If you can drive a car in CT, you can drive a car in San Diego. Hard to get lost here.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I live here and you don't need a car if you use Uber or Lyft.

Both services have a huge presence here and it will be less stressful if you let someone else drive.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I live here and you don't need a car if you use Uber or Lyft.

Both services have a huge presence here and it will be less stressful if you let someone else drive.
It depends on what you want to do.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need an automobile. I would like to suggest you look at Costco travel for and an auto rental and a hotel package (suggestion only) .
On our like last two weeks trip to San Diego. We visited Disney, SeaWorld, The awesome San Diego Zoo, took in baseball games in San Diego and Los Angeles, tour downtown Los Angeles & San Diego and really enjoyed several low key beaches & parks in San Diego.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Buzz. I live here and I use my car for everything, but my daughter who lives in the middle of the city takes Uber to everything. Uber will take you to museums, Safari Park, Coronado, Mexico (they have something where they will drive you across the border if you have a passport), anywhere you want to go. If you take it every day for long distances, it may cost more than a rental car, but you won't have the parking fees and the stress of driving on the freeways here if you aren't used to that. Sometimes, I think about using Uber or Lyft when I go to concerts or performances downtown. It's easier than dealing with traffic and then paying for parking.

Here's another option for getting around the metro city if you only want to rent a car for an hour or so: https://www.car2go.com/US/en/san-diego/

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I am in the planning stages and am thinking of May,2018.
I have alot of research to do. I want to see the sites and would like to stay near a beach.
I have always heard it is a beautiful place to visit.
Sue

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I've seen so many anti-rental car posts over the years, I'm still not what the aversion is, unless you don't regularly drive, or plan to drink and then need a ride.

That being said, I live in San Diego as well. As Luanne, Pedro47, and I noted above, it depends on what you want to do, and where you plan to stay. Uber is great if you want to stay within a few miles of your resort. If you do, you will miss most of what is great about our region, and you'll still need Uber at 10-$20 RT to link up with your destination.

If you stay in downtown, and want to go to Legoland, Safari Park, Stone, Torrey Pines, Del Mar, La Jolla, or other North County locations, plan on paying $75-100 round trip on Uber. Yes we have commuter train, but they don't run as frequently as those back east.

You have to factor in if there is a parking charge at your destination, but a rental will give you the freedom to enjoy all that San Diego is.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I lived in San Diego for ten years. For however convenient Uber and such may be now, there is something to be said for making your own stops at your own pace, without having to wait for someone else to come along and pick you up. If you see something along the way you'd like to visit, you can stop and see it - without messing up your Uber ride schedule. The costs of a rental car are known, as opposed to the charges you'd pay to get a ride. And as you've probably figured out, distances in Southern California are measured in time, not miles. Get a car and enjoy the ride, on your own terms.

Dave

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I lived in San Diego for ten years. For however convenient Uber and such may be now, there is something to be said for making your own stops at your own pace, without having to wait for someone else to come along and pick you up. If you see something along the way you'd like to visit, you can stop and see it - without messing up your Uber ride schedule. The costs of a rental car are known, as opposed to the charges you'd pay to get a ride. And as you've probably figured out, distances in Southern California are measured in time, not miles. Get a car and enjoy the ride, on your own terms.

Dave

I would say at the very least Uber from the airport and pick up a car at a local rental office. The airport fees are crazy these days to pay for that new building. Fees and taxes add almost $70