• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Diego and Catalina Island Questions

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to go on a small 9 group trip over Presidents Day Weekend. 3 days 2 nights. Hotel is Comfort Inn on Shelter Island with a day trip on the ferry to Catalina Island. The price includes: Van transportation to and from Vegas, the round trip ferry ride to Catalina Island, hotel and a 2 hour lesson on Catalina Island on how to make decorative ceramic tiles. They also plan to visit if time permits Balboa park, Old Town San Diego and other points of interest. The cost is $540.00 and does not include any meals. My question is for what is included and the time frame is this worth $540.00? I have never done a meetup trip like this before so advice please.

TIA

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In my opinion it sounds like a very rushed trip.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it single occupancy? Comfort Inn will have breakfast included. In that time frame, you'll just barely see the high points, but it will give you an overview so you can plan to go back and see it in more depth. For instance I think one can spend a very enjoyable FULL day in Old Town, and at least 2-to-3 in Balboa park with the Zoo, Conservatory, Art village, Nat'l History Museum, Airplane and Car museums, Organ recitals, Japanese Garden. This tour will be rushed, but you might make a friend or two, and the boat ride should be enjoyable (take a dramamine before boarding if you are subject to seasickness). GO FO IT!

Jim

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just the 9 hour drive in a van from Vegas to SD would put me off this 2 night trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just the 9 hour drive in a van from Vegas to SD would put me off this 2 night trip.
Another excellent use for the Dramamine. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I just re-read your post and saw the trip includes a two hour class on Catalina Island on making ceramic tiles. Unless this is something you are really interested in, it would be a complete waste of time. Are you even going to see any of the island?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is worth it if those are things you are interested in those things. Catalina Island has a lot to offer in a full day and I wouldn't want to spend a couple hours of it doing tiles, but you may be interested in that type of thing. You can easily price out the stuff online and figure out if it is worth it to you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would be rushed and tired out ... 9 hours to San Diego in a van, 2 nights in a Comfort Inn and back to 9 hours on the return trip to Las Vegas. That is really just 1 FULL day of being in San Diego.

You can easily get a rental of several nights at the Shell timeshare resort, Inn at the Park; drive over with several friends and stay longer for the same money. Having visited this San Diego within the last year ... there is a lot to see and do. Very pretty and easy to get around. My extended family stayed with me at my timeshare resort ... and were please with the location and rooms at the Shell TS resort. Limited kitchens ... ie mostly, no ovens, I believe.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others who have posted: definitely not worth it unless the tile painting is difficult to find other places and really important to you. The drive from Las Vegas to San Diego is an easy one to do yourself if you want that kind of trip. Flights from Las Vegas to San Diego are cheap. Public transportation in San Diego is easy to manage. In short, this trip offers nothing beyond perhaps making a new friend or two and tile painting--seems like going to San Diego for that is kind of a waste, but if all the people are compatible, the van ride COULD be fun.....or not.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. I have decided not to go on this trip. It just feels to rushed and I am not into tile making.

Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. I have decided not to go on this trip. It just feels to rushed and I am not into tile making.

For that $540 you could drive over to San Diego, stay a couple nights and have a really good time bumming around Balboa Park, Little Italy, Old Town. If you recruit a friend who can contribute to the pot & is decent company, all the better. We have stayed at Old Town Inn (Duh) near Old Town. Most rooms have kitchenettes, they have a decent breakfast. If you don't want to drive, they're on the Trolly line.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Catalina is good for a day trip...I don't know many who spend the night (though I've heard it's nice at night and a bit more relaxed without all the day tourists). The interior island tour is worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk