• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Samoset exchange New Years

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Resort
Hi everyone,
I just bought my first timeshare today and I'd appreciate some feedback! My parents have owned a timeshare for 20+ years and I am very familiar with RCI. I know a lot about red weeks, points vs weeks, exchanges, etc but with the timeshare I just bought I'm not interested in that. I purchased a two bedroom unit for week 52 (New Years). Every fifth year I also receieve an extra week for free. I'm trying to exchange my week with another owner rather than going through RCI. I'm hoping to swap my unit for a 1 bedroom in the summer time (doesn't have to be July or August). Is there anything you guys recommend? Is my unit a good week even though it's in December?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just bought my first timeshare today and I'd appreciate some feedback! My parents have owned a timeshare for 20+ years and I am very familiar with RCI. I know a lot about red weeks, points vs weeks, exchanges, etc but with the timeshare I just bought I'm not interested in that. I purchased a two bedroom unit for week 52 (New Years). Every fifth year I also receieve an extra week for free. I'm trying to exchange my week with another owner rather than going through RCI. I'm hoping to swap my unit for a 1 bedroom in the summer time (doesn't have to be July or August). Is there anything you guys recommend? Is my unit a good week even though it's in December?

If you can find an owner that prefers to go in Winter vs. Summer, that's great. Direct exchanges do happen with owners, however, it's not necessarily an easy thing. Both owners are looking for similar value when trading.

RCI has a lot more inventory. Even with all that inventory, it would be difficult to exchange your week 52 two bedroom for a one bedroom during the Summer. Your week gets 18 TPUs with RCI. A June week 25 gets 34 TPUs and a September week 36 gets 33 TPUs, both for a one bedroom. You would have to combine your TPU's from two years, put in an ongoing search and hope for the best.

The number of TPUs gives you a good indication how the two seasons (Summer vs. Winter) are valued.

I would set my sights on other destinations or timeframes to make your week of ownership work for you. Purchasing a timeshare in hopes of specific exchanges like this (whether with other owners or an exchange company) may prove disappointing. Come up with other options for the use of this week would be my recommendation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Resort
I appreciate the feedback but I'm honestly excited for new years! The reason I was looking to switch to a summer month was because I graduate from nursing school this May and I know 100% I'll be able to use the week in the summer time. I highly doubt as a new nurse I'll be able to get New Years off for an entire week. I'm hoping once I get some experience under my belt I'll be able to come for New years but definitely not as a new nurse with only 3 months on the job.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
If you've purchased week 52 for Samoset...a 2 BR gets 18 TPU's in RCI. Christmas there would be gorgeous...they decorate nicely! We'd be there 2018 for Christmas if the units had an oven...the traditional Christmas lasagna isn't compatible with the stovetop! I wouldn't depend upon doing a swap privately. However...there are 1 BR Samoset weeks available in the extra vacation section of RCI fairly frequently...especially somewhat last-minute. If you can't go in summer, fall is also a great time! Good luck, and congratulations on your purchase! Samoset has been one of our favorite exchanges---and we went in April! :)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree- April there isn't too bad. Cold and some snow still- but we enjoyed it there that month. And if you can get May thru early October, I would go for it. Or try for another resort for those months

Last edited: