• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Islander Club la Plage

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
I just snagged a 2BR at this resort 12/17-12/24. I have read the reviews but other than trying to get a 2nd floor or higher unit to avoid mosquitoes and get a better view, any other helpful advice for this resort? It seems like great place in a beautiful location.

Thanks,

Paul

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Location is great. Resort not so - read TUG review from August 2007 - nothing has changed it seems!

Rich

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed there a few years ago and loved it. Great location within walking distance of 3 beaches as well as Sunset Bar. Grocery store right across the street. Watching the planes come into the airport was great entertainment.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I just snagged a 2BR at this resort 12/17-12/24. I have read the reviews but other than trying to get a 2nd floor or higher unit to avoid mosquitoes and get a better view, any other helpful advice for this resort? It seems like great place in a beautiful location.

I don't think you'll have a choice of unit - at least we got the one that was on our confirmation. Don't recall any mosquitoes - but lots of cats on the ground floor! It's a great location but rent a car for a few days to explore the island if you haven't been there before. Our favorite restaurants are on the French side.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
I don't think you'll have a choice of unit - at least we got the one that was on our confirmation.

Perhaps not but I do not see a unit number on the confirmation when I look on line. Am I missing something?

Thanks all for the feedback...

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think you'll have a choice of unit - at least we got the one that was on our confirmation.

Perhaps not but I do not see a unit number on the confirmation when I look on line. Am I missing something?

Did you exchange in through RCI or II? If II, then if you log in your History should show you the unit number. It's been a long time since I've been an RCI member so am not sure about this if you exchanged through them.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Ah, maybe that's it. I exchanged through RCI. I do recall there used to be a unit number on the RCI confirmation but have not seen one in a while.

nyparadigm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Room views?

Hi - we are looking to stay here mid-July with an RCI trade. I understand that units on lower floors have limited views, but do all units at least face the ocean? Or do some of the units primarily face landward?

Input appreciated!

Thanks.
Chris

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi - we are looking to stay here mid-July with an RCI trade. I understand that units on lower floors have limited views, but do all units at least face the ocean? Or do some of the units primarily face landward?

All units have balconies (or patios on the ground floor) that face the Caribbean Sea.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
More questions...

I know this resort is very close to the airport and the airport is small. Any suggestions on how to get from the airport to the resort? Is a cab the best choice? Maybe the shuttle? Anybody ever walked it? Currently we do not expect to rent a car as it seems everything (other than sight seeing) is within walking distance.

Lastly, is it worth going to some of the nearby islands? Anguilla, St-Barts or Saba?

Thanks,

Paul

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know this resort is very close to the airport and the airport is small. Any suggestions on how to get from the airport to the resort? Is a cab the best choice? Maybe the shuttle? Anybody ever walked it? Currently we do not expect to rent a car as it seems everything (other than sight seeing) is within walking distance.

Lastly, is it worth going to some of the nearby islands? Anguilla, St-Barts or Saba?

Taxi from airport is the best choice and very reasonable. There is no shuttle that I know of. You do not want to walk to the resort.

We've been to St Barths 3 times, once taking the fast boat from SXM. (The other two times we flew there through SXM and stayed there for a week). Beware that the water can get pretty choppy on the boat. Anguilla is also an easy day trip by ferry.

I would recommend that you rent a car for a few days to get to the French side of the island just for the food! We did take a local bus into Philipsburg once but it took forever.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Thanks for the quick response!

Paul

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Anguilla is also an easy day trip by ferry.

We did a day sail over from Simpson Bay for snorkeling and lunch, and had a great time. https://www.bluebeardcharters.com

I would say though, it's absolutely worth it to rent a car to explore the island. We used Avis, and it was very reasonable. Lunch in Grand Case, shopping at the market in Marigot, Philipsburg is just so/so, and stay away from it if there is a cruise ship in.

Last edited:

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Thanks Scott. That looks like a blast!

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Thanks Scott. That looks like a blast!

No problem. It was my wife and I, and my two daughters (9 and 11 at the time).

Drinks and snacks on the boat over to Rendezvous Bay, van ride to Shoal Bay for a buffet lunch at Tropical Sunset, and snorkeling for a couple of hours. More drinks on the sail back. Very reasonable cost for the day.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
We did the Bluebeard charter yesterday. Was a lot of fun, and yes, you do get soaked, as the website discloses. The wind was really howling as we crossed the channel and, even with the main sail at ~ 3/4 to 7/8, we still were just shy of 22 knots. According to the very professional captain and first mate, they can reach 25 + knots but did not want to do full sail with the huge gusts that are typical this time of year. I will leave that judgement in the hands of the professionals... :)

Thanks again for the recommendation; I heartily agree!

Paul