• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Haciendas Question

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
With the end of our RC contract coming in two years, we are considering the purchase of week at RH. We are obviously well aware of the AI requirements, so we are looking at the feasibility to title the purchase as some sort of a family trust. We would prefer that if our son or daughter would come that they are considered as owners. Have any RH owners done anything similar?

Mike

buceo

Reaction score
We thought about it and asked. We did get a trust. However, our trust lawyer suggested for the MX timeshares to put anyone on the contract that does not mind being responsible for the fees whether we are alive or dead. So not apart of the Trust. So I will (I have yet to) add my brother and put him on a bank account in which I have MF money stored. So he "gets" the timeshares and the money to pay the fees in case we die just as the fees are due and his name is on the contract.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's along the lines I was thinking, Glenn. We have talked about having some of my wife's family involved, but I prefer not to complicate matters more than they already are.

Mike

buceo

Reaction score
I think you might get more feedback under the buying/selling forum with a thread title more generic such as, "purchase put in a family trust ?", just a suggestion.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you might get more feedback under the buying/selling forum with a thread title more generic such as, "purchase put in a family trust ?", just a suggestion.
Thanks. I'm planning on taking a deeper dive next week.

Mike

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With the end of our RC contract coming in two years, we are considering the purchase of week at RH. We are obviously well aware of the AI requirements, so we are looking at the feasibility to title the purchase as some sort of a family trust. We would prefer that if our son or daughter would come that they are considered as owners. Have any RH owners done anything similar?

Mike
My understanding is anyone using an owner week is not required to purchase the AI. Anyone using an exchange into a Royal with Mandatory AI using a Royal week (even a guest) isn't required to purchase AI. The only advantage actual owners have is they can exchange into a Royal AI using a non Royal exchange and still won't have to pay the AI. So unless that is the case you don't have to worry about who is listed as the owner of the week.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My understanding is anyone using an owner week is not required to purchase the AI. Anyone using an exchange into a Royal with Mandatory AI using a Royal week (even a guest) isn't required to purchase AI. The only advantage actual owners have is they can exchange into a Royal AI using a non Royal exchange and still won't have to pay the AI. So unless that is the case you don't have to worry about who is listed as the owner of the week.

Thanks. I realized yesterday that I should go back and read the fine print. It's been years since I read that information. I should have done that first before posting. We will just have to manage the situation if we happen to exchange in with a Marriott week after RC expires. Otherwise, I think we'll be able to work fine within the parameters.

Mike