• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JoJo12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passed ROFR, 3 BR, MOC Lahaina, fixed week 32, 47k. It took 6 days, including the weekend. Using Syed as my broker. I put it in the data base.

I will soon join your club of TS owners. No flaming over our decision, please. It was a perfect week for us and I am not in the life stage where I want to have to call at just the right time hoping to get a week I need for the grandkids. I did weeks of reading here on TUG before we made our decision how to proceed. Thanks to all of you for your posts and guidance.

Interesting that we still have a Marriott encore stay to use at MOC, but we will be there as educated owners for the poor salesman that draws us.

Any other week 32 owners, please send me a pm if you want to connect next year.

Pam

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Pam, congratulations on your purchase, that is a terrific week to own! What unit and floor did you purchase?

Best,

Greg

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I received notice that my Grande Vista 3 bedroom platinum passed ROFR at $4,000. I'm looking forward to having my first Marriott added to my portfolio.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I received notice that my Grande Vista 3 bedroom platinum passed ROFR at $4,000. I'm looking forward to having my first Marriott added to my portfolio.
That's a pretty good price for an annual 3Bed Plat. My annual 3Bed gold passed for around $1600-$1900 (not sure what was on the waiver). Congrats on the purchase!

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the MOC week, Pam. Was this the week that was listed on Redweek? You said you worked with Syed so maybe it wasn't. I wouldn't mind a Week 32 but I was looking for 2 weeks when I bought might so ended up with Weeks 22/23.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Marriott just exercised ROFR on me. Maui Ocean Club (original towers), odd year usage, ocean view, 2-bedroom, $6,500.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott just exercised ROFR on me. Maui Ocean Club (original towers), odd year usage, ocean view, 2-bedroom, $6,500.

Is that good or bad? What are the implications when they exercise ROFR? Are you the buyer or seller?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Is that good or bad? What are the implications when they exercise ROFR? Are you the buyer or seller?

Generally speaking...

Seller - Gets what they asked for the week
Buyer - Loses the deal
ROFR - Tends to set the minimum market price for the week, at that point in time.

Interesting that it's this late in the year, as prior threads suggest Marriott has a budget for ROFR, which may be reduced late in the year.

The last ROFR.net reported sale was last December, which passed at $7000.
Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui and Lanai Wings 12/16/2016 Platinum EOY 2BR Ocean View $7,000.00 Passed 5infam

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking...

Buyer - Loses the deal
ROFR - Tends to set the minimum market price for the week, at that point in time.

Interesting that it's this late in the year, as prior threads suggest Marriott has a budget for ROFR, which may be reduced late in the year.

Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui and Lanai Wings 12/16/2016 Platinum EOY 2BR Ocean View $7,000.00 Passed 5infam

So I guess this means Marriott wanted the deal to be at least $7000.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Generally speaking...

Buyer - Loses the deal

That was sort of what I was banking on in offering $6500. It was close to the $7000 that passed, and late in the year. I also considered that if they exercise, which they did, and don't get it sold quickly, they "eat" the 2018 MF. Allowing it to go through meant they would have gotten the 2018 payment from me. Nonetheless, I was advised yesterday that they were exercising. (I was the buyer.)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That was sort of what I was banking on in offering $6500. It was close to the $7000 that passed, and late in the year. I also considered that if they exercise, which they did, and don't get it sold quickly, they "eat" the 2018 MF. Allowing it to go through meant they would have gotten the 2018 payment from me. Nonetheless, I was advised yesterday that they were exercising. (I was the buyer.)
Marriott won't turn around and sell that week. They will convey it to the DC trust and sell the points allocated to it. It is a big chess game of moving pieces and they either get the MF money from trust owners or they monetize the points and rent available inventory. They won't end up 'eating' the MFs.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Marriott won't turn around and sell that week. They will convey it to the DC trust and sell the points allocated to it. It is a big chess game of moving pieces and they either get the MF money from trust owners or they monetize the points and rent available inventory. They won't end up 'eating' the MFs.
So, basically, they buy it from a weeks owner and drop it into their DC points inventory, making one less unit available for a weeks owner to use.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, basically, they buy it from a weeks owner and drop it into their DC points inventory, making one less unit available for a weeks owner to use.
But it also takes away one person vying for a weeks reservation. It likely decreases exchange inventory but doesn't make much difference on direct reservations.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did you really want it or did you not really care if you got it? If you really wanted it, paying $500 extra over the life of the ownership would have been minimal.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Did you really want it or did you not really care if you got it? If you really wanted it, paying $500 extra over the life of the ownership would have been minimal.
Good point. And I decided I didn't really care. I was buying it mostly just to gain access to the 13 month reservation window to go along with my OF 2-bedroom Napili. But I realized that, after 2019, my youngest is out of high school and I don't have to worry about scheduling spring break or summer vacation, we can go any time. So, what the heck.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point. And I decided I didn't really care. I was buying it mostly just to gain access to the 13 month reservation window to go along with my OF 2-bedroom Napili. But I realized that, after 2019, my youngest is out of high school and I don't have to worry about scheduling spring break or summer vacation, we can go any time. So, what the heck.

If you want access to the 13 month reservation window you can buy any unit and rent it out for above break even or use it as a misc trader.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
If you want access to the 13 month reservation window you can buy any unit and rent it out for above break even or use it as a misc trader.
True. I was after the middle ground... a unit that would be easily rentable, but also one that would be nice to have/use ourselves if we wanted. An OV two-bedroom in the older buildings seemed a good fit for that. Awfully easy to rent that for MF or more, and not awful to stay in or put family into either.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passed ROFR. $2.50 per point destinations program.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Passed ROFR. $2.50 per point destinations program.
Nice....you are the second one in this price range I have read about....way to slip one past the ROFR goalie!!!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was luck, just organized things a little differently.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Change your name to protect the innocent (steve) and tell us what you did to pass rofr?