• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ripped off

rfcmazon

Reaction score
Caribbean Beach Club, Ft. Myers Beach, is renovating, so our room was not available. First we were told we would get maintenance fee refunded, which I would have accepted. Now they say it can not be done because of a law that all owners get it back if some do. When I asked how we were going to be compensated for this year's fee, the response was - NO compensation. This does not seem right. Can any thing be done?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is the resort being renovated because of a storm, or some other unusual situation in which it was damaged?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM is asking, I believe, if an "Act of God" was the reason YOUR unit is not usable. If not, did you have to confirm in advance, that you would be using your unit? (some resorts have this written into the usage rules).

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caribbean Beach Club, Ft. Myers Beach, is renovating, so our room was not available. First we were told we would get maintenance fee refunded, which I would have accepted. Now they say it can not be done because of a law that all owners get it back if some do. When I asked how we were going to be compensated for this year's fee, the response was - NO compensation. This does not seem right. Can any thing be done?

That there is a law like that sounds legitimate to me. Resort management should have no right to compensate you at the expense of other owners. Removing your maintenance fee payments would do that, as all owners would have to be billed more the next year to balance the association. Of course, this wouldn't happen if they compensated you out of developer budget. :)

Have you thought about asking them for a compensatory additional week after the refurb is complete? Associations and developers hold guest satisfaction intervals for stuff like this.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Are you able to exchange your Week? This happened to us one year, the resort was in disrepair and dropped by RCI. I had paid all my fees and had an exchange already booked. Was told that RCI would not honor my exchange. I asked to speak to a supervisor at RCI and explained that I was a member in good standing , had my own membership not thru the resort and told them they needed to let me have the exchange. We got the exchange and I have always kept my membership unaffiliated with any resort. Hopefully you can work with your resort or RCI to use the week. Let us know the outcome?
Silentg

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the resort being renovated because of a storm, or some other unusual situation in which it was damaged?

I know this resort well, having recently owned a prime unit / week there for several years (but no longer). I would be willing to bet that any "renovation" there is strictly confined to the original two story building (the property section in which the office is located). That original building was once a 1950's - 1960's two level motel, before the property was converted to interval ownership --- and much of that original section is frankly not even "up to code". "Renovation" of that section had been discussed for quite some time --- and was likely finally mandated by either local code enforcement authorities and / or the resort's insurance company.

The middle section is newer, added later. A third (north wing) portion is by far the newest construction, built after a fire in or around 2003.
The associated insurance claim was unresolved and in the courts for the next 10+ years (with the courts always finding in the resorts' favor at each appeal level). That mess was hopefully conclusively resolved in very recent years, although I'm not certain. I'd bet heavily that the "renovation" at CBC involves only the original section described previously above --- and specifically to get it into code compliance.

To the OP's specific situation and question, I would recommend starting with contacting Defender Resorts, the new management company that took over from VRI at CBC several years ago (a change which was a significant factor in our decision to part company with the place). On site staff may have neither the knowledge nor the authority to substantively help the OP, perhaps reciting a canned response, by others' direction. Not good enough --- at least not for me. YMMV.

I had personally lost faith in the CBC Board, another reason for our bailing out of one of the best units and weeks on the entire property. Between the on-site staff and the CBC Board, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a satisfactory resolution. I would instead be inclined to focus on obtaining some form of assistance or alternative use / access directly from Defender Resorts.

Secondly, I would ask whoever claimed some "legal impediment" to maintenance fee refund to provide a clear and specific statutory reference or case law cite on which they offer that particular "input". It might very well be true, but as an owner the OP certainly has a right to a more specific and detailed explanation than appears to have been offered. The CBC BoD, after all, has at least two attorneys, iirc.

The above being said (please don't shoot the messenger) I know that when the north section burned down at CBC (a dryer fire was blamed), owners of weeks in that wing were still required to pay maintenance fees during the (several years) before reconstruction was completed. I actually bought our CBC unit / week from one of those folks, who had used it just once after that north wing reconstruction before selling.

I suspect that mf refund is a non-starter, but perhaps Defender can / will assist in identifying / providing alternative use instead. Good luck, OP.

Last edited: