• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RFID Protection???

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hi, this post was initiated because of a sale on RFID card cases at my workplace :)
When we got our Nexus traveler's cards (for express drive thru across Canadian border), they came with a copper(?) lined RFID protection sleeve. I remember the Canadian official who interviewed us, gave a specific recommendation about leaving our cards in the sleeve when not in use.

With chip credit cards abounding now, I thought perhaps it would be a good time to get some RFID protection for my credit cards. However with a little online reading, it seems the RFID stuff is perhaps a little too premature, because we're still chip and sign, and have to insert the credit card into a card reader. The Nexus cards are a true scan type, just hold it up to the scanner; no insertion required.

I'm not concerned about having info stolen off my cards here in the states or Canada. But what about in other countries? Your thoughts? TIA

I probably won't get the RFID case...maybe just order a few sleeves online :D

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waste of money.

The chip and sign/chip and pin technology is different from contactless card technology.

1. You would have to have a contactless card with "tap and pay" type technology. It is branded under different names depending on the issuer but generally has a symbol that looks like several concentric arcs on the back of the card.
2. Someone would have to be able to skim the card via a cheap reader.
3. With most cards nowadays, that information skimmed is not your credit card information. It is at best a one-time token that can likely only be used for a single transaction.
4. Your limit of liability is limited. Most banks won't charge you a dime as long as you report the theft once you are aware of it. (Likely, they will discover it first).
5. All of this is theoretical. There are few cases of theft by RFID skimming -- frankly because there are much more efficient ways to make money off of stealing people's data.

BTW, you can wrap your card in aluminum foil or a mylar sleeve (the ones computer chips or coffee are packaged in) and gain similar (if not more effective) benefits than a RFID shielding wallet.

-ryan

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
With RFID, you don't actually see the chip on the card. RFID is actually older technology and was built in to many cards years ago, you just didn't see the chip. It was marketed by Visa as PayWave and MasterCard as PayPass. The new chips are not contactless forms of payment, so no protection is needed. You would only perhaps consider it if you see a symbol on your card similar to the one below.
250px-Universal_Contactless_Card_Symbol.svg.png

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thanks for the info!

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But I was looking at the GOES web site due to the passport thread, and I noticed that the Global Entry card actually uses RFID. I don't normally carry the card, but had reason to put it into my wallet recently; so I may be vulnerable there. Time to leave it back home.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Agreed. But I was looking at the GOES web site due to the passport thread, and I noticed that the Global Entry card actually uses RFID. I don't normally carry the card, but had reason to put it into my wallet recently; so I may be vulnerable there. Time to leave it back home.
It may be good to put the Nexus or GE card in the sleeve they come with. As you say, they use RFID. It isn't necessary for the new run of the mill credit cards.