• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reviews - Member Photos

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I joined TUG in 1997. I was a paying member for about 15 years. I let my paying membership lapse for a while. I just signed up for a 3 year membership because I wanted access to the Reviews section again. Am I missing something? Where are all the member’s uploaded photos of the resorts? All I see a few photos for some resorts under the Overview tab. And, most of the photos look like they are from the resort’s website and not member photos. There used to be a lot of photos that went with the reviews. Thanks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
TUG has never removed any photo provided by a member unless it was reported as outdated and a new more current photo was provided of the same image (bathroom/kitchen remodel etc).

the new system does display the most recent photos first, so any newly uploaded or replaced photos would show up before the older original ones.

any person (member or not) can upload a photo at any time using the link directly on each resort review page along the left hand side. we also mention in every new membership and renewal for folks to visit their home resorts (or resorts they recently stayed at) to provide any new information or photos to the review page if possible!

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, What do I click on to see members photos for specific resorts? Thanks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the default photo is the large one displayed on the resort review page, clicking on the smalle rthumbnails below that will allow you to view all the other photos for the resort and as you click on them will rotate thru all the available photos uploaded for the resort.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, I still don't get it. Here is an example. There are 128 reviews for California Marriott Desert Springs I Resort. There are only 8 photos. I know there should be more. There are many other resorts with more than 100 reviews that should have more than 6 or 8 member photos. I am selecting a resort and clicking on Overview and then scrolling through the photos. Am I not in the right area for member photos? Thanks again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Brian, I still don't get it. Here is an example. There are 128 reviews for California Marriott Desert Springs I Resort. There are only 8 photos. I know there should be more. There are many other resorts with more than 100 reviews that should have more than 6 or 8 member photos. I am selecting a resort and clicking on Overview and then scrolling through the photos. Am I not in the right area for member photos? Thanks again.

Reviews and photos are submitted completely separately, so there really isn't a relationship between the number of reviews, and the number of photos.

Many people post their pictures on the discussion forums, or they may post a link to their photos which are hosted somewhere else - they don't necessarily post them to Resorts and Reviews. To be quite honest with you, I can't remember if I have ever posted one there.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you are in the right spot, but I agree there should be far more photos of those two resorts (dsv1 and 2)...and i show nothing prior to 2013.

ill look into this further.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, Thanks for looking into this. I remember that a few years ago there were a lot of photos for a lot of different resorts. Lately, I've been using Tripadvisor.com for resort reviews and photos, but we had timeshare resort exchange in Cabo that Tripadvisor didn't have a lot of info on and I thought I would check out TUG's reviews again.

NHTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will add photos I have taken of the resorts I have visited within the next week or so. I do reviews and have been meaning to add photos.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good catch here, we discovered thousands of photos for whatever reason were no longer linked to their resorts. we believe we have restored these photos (well the links anyway...the photos were never really gone) to the review pages, hopefully they show up for you now!

please let us know if any appear incorrect or out of place!

thank you!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is also a sticky in the Marriott forum that links to other online sources where forum members have posted photos of Marriott resorts.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. But, I still think there are a lot of photos not linked to the resorts. Example - there used to be a lot of member photos for the Royal Resorts in Cancun and the small handful of photos I see are mostly the resort's promotional photos.

Thanks again. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
royal islander?

i show a bunch of older photos were re-added.

with so many missing, im sure there were some that didnt get re-linked programatically (wouldnt be feasible to do it all by hand).

we can look into additional resorts though to see if we missed some.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, I don't like being a pest, but I still don't see member's photos on resorts that I know had a lot of photos a few years ago. Royal Islander shows 15 photos now and all or most of them are the resorts promo photos. The Marriott Kauai Beach Club had a lot of photos and now there are just a few resort promo photos. I just paid $30 for 3 years to TUG for access to Reviews which used to have lots of fun member photos for lots of resorts and now there are none. Not happy.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not a pain at all, if there are photos missing we certainly want to find them!

looking further into that particular resort, we even went to a very old backup of the tug2.com site from many years ago and it did not contain any additional photos than the ones that are listed there.

are we sure it was kauai beach club you feel had more pictures? could it have been maui beach club or another similar name?

for that particular resort, the one that was restored was likely deliberately deleted as it was replaced by a more updated picture of the same exact shot (side view of the bedroom)

two tug members have provided their own personal photo gallery from this resort, perhaps one was linked in the resort description and that got deleted? ive added this one back as its pretty inclusive!

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mZt2L/

I can certainly ask if this TUG member would mind uploading these photos to the resort review page if you like?

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Brian, that album is mine on Smugmug. I have never done a review here or anywhere (Trip Advisor or Redweek) because everyone has different opinions of what makes a timeshare great or a disappointment and I am biased about our own timeshares so not a good judge to write a report.

Tell me how to do it without a review. In the past, it was Kristin who did it for us and for me. She uploaded pictures for me for the Buganvileas and the Grand Velas in Mexico. The Buganvileas was updated once for our timeshare and even more for the expensive timeshares they are selling now. I posted about them in two TUG threads and included pictures but they were not updated on your website because I didn't post reviews.

Can TUG upload them for us if we do not write reviews?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you most certainly can...they are completely separate features...here is a link to upload photos right on that resort review page:

http://tug2.com/ResortImageAdd.aspx?Marriotts+Kauai+Beach+Club&ID=14034

here is a photo showing where the "UPLOAD A PHOTO" link is on each and every review page...when you browse to the resort review page itself and click on the link, it will automatically link the photo you upload to that resort:

note that you can include a caption/description of each photo you upload.

Attachments

• photoupload.jpg
    photoupload.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
OK, I will try with my computer rather than with the phone. :eek:

The pictures should still be current for that resort. What is your favorite size for uploading now?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the limit is 2 or 3mb on size for uploading per photo.

taffy19

Reaction score
I tried to upload the pictures but made a mess of it. Some may be double so tried to delete them but I cannot find them on TUG. I wasn't finished yet but I noticed that you have a link already to the Smugmug album which may be easier.

Do I really need to upload each picture separately? Can you put the captions in later or erase a picture or change the caption? Please, help. :eek:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I show you successfully uploaded a number of photos to this resort, and only saw one duplicate (dont worry about that, we can delete the dupes on this end easily enough).

thank you!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the limit is 2 or 3mb on size for uploading per photo.

This is the one reason I don't upload photos. To the TUG resort pages. I have'nt tried lately, but I recall a size limit previously. Our new SLR cameras these days create file sizes that exceed the size limit on TUG, so I don't bother. It is a lot of work to go through each photo to manipulate it enough to make it within the size limit for upload. Is there any chance the size limit could be changed? Or could some type of program be installed on the server side to automatically reduce the file size at upload, kind of like they do with other photo sharing sites and Facebook?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
This is the one reason I don't upload photos. To the TUG resort pages. I have'nt tried lately, but I recall a size limit previously. Our new SLR cameras these days create file sizes that exceed the size limit on TUG, so I don't bother. It is a lot of work to go through each photo to manipulate it enough to make it within the size limit for upload. Is there any chance the size limit could be changed? Or could some type of program be installed on the server side to automatically reduce the file size at upload, kind of like they do with other photo sharing sites and Facebook?

or you could do a batch resize before uploading.

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not sure whats involved with creating an "auto-resize" section of code...if its something easy ive got no problem with it...but if it were super easy id think it would be implemented on far more applications/sites...its relatively rare (on the sites I visit at least).

the reason for the size limit isnt so much for space limitations....but the resolution of a 5-10mb picture is absolutely staggering and well beyond most monitors capability to view in full screen. thus when a person clicks on it they are going to wish it were about 30% of its original size anyway or they will be scrolling back and forth to view the entire picture.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
im not sure whats involved with creating an "auto-resize" section of code...if its something easy ive got no problem with it...but if it were super easy id think it would be implemented on far more applications/sites...its relatively rare (on the sites I visit at least).

the reason for the size limit isnt so much for space limitations....but the resolution of a 5-10mb picture is absolutely staggering and well beyond most monitors capability to view in full screen. thus when a person clicks on it they are going to wish it were about 30% of its original size anyway or they will be scrolling back and forth to view the entire picture.

I have determined that when I export out of Lightroom that I can set the max size of the image. What is the ideal size to have the photos in for display?