• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retiring Abroad and Social Security

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Things to Consider Before Retiring Abroad
By Kathleen Nemetz, CFP, CDFA/ Advisor Insights/ Investopedia/ investopedia.com

"With many Americans woefully underfunded for retirement, people are exploring retirement abroad as a way to stretch their retirement income. The Social Security Administration reports a 73% jump in the number of retired workers receiving their benefits overseas since 2000.

The cost advantages to an overseas retirement are usually the draw. Couples living in less expensive nations can find housing at a fraction of the cost in the U.S.. In some countries, medical coverage costs less than using Medicare.

Talking to actual expats is the best way of verifying the cost savings you can expect. Also, cost of living websites like www.numbeo.com collect and report typical costs for a variety of living expenses by city and country. For example, here is a link comparing typical costs in Chile to those in the U.S.

How to Receive Social Security Benefits Abroad
Receiving a Social Security benefit while living outside the U.S. can be facilitated in certain countries with an electronic transfer. A list of countries allowing the Social Security Administration to make automated payments to banks within their borders can be found at www.socialsecurity.gov by searching for “IDD countries."

Retirees living in other countries can ask for an exemption to receive a paper check instead, as the U.S. Treasury otherwise imposes the requirement of electronic transfers. (For related reading, see: 6 Countries Where You Can Live off of Social Security.)...."

Richard

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
While you CAN have your retirement SS delivered this way, most expats either have it put into their US account and either take it out of the ATM overseas, or write a check on the US bank from time to time and deposit it to their overseas bank.

Note that overseas SS Disability payments have different rules.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
A neighbour of ours in Belize only qualified for less than US$800/mo. SS and he just couldn't afford to stay in the USA when he retired. In (Corozal)Belize he has a nice 1 bedroom furnished apartment 1 block from the bay, eats out often and saves enough to fly up to Seattle once or twice a year to visit his aging mom. He lives very comfortably compared to how he would need to live in the US. He does as isisdave posted, and has his SS deposited into his US Bank of America account and then withdraws cash as he needs it from the B of A in Corozal.

I looked at the website (numbeo) in the article and many of the prices are off (most high, some too low) for food, at least for what we were buying in Corozal.

~Diane

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A neighbour of ours in Belize only qualified for less than US$800/mo. SS and he just couldn't afford to stay in the USA when he retired. In (Corozal)Belize he has a nice 1 bedroom furnished apartment 1 block from the bay, eats out often and saves enough to fly up to Seattle once or twice a year to visit his aging mom. He lives very comfortably compared to how he would need to live in the US. He does as isisdave posted, and has his SS deposited into his US Bank of America account and then withdraws cash as he needs it from the B of A in Corozal.

I looked at the website (numbeo) in the article and many of the prices are off (most high, some too low) for food, at least for what we were buying in Corozal.

~Diane
I am assuming he has other income, abate small, besides SS.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I am assuming he has other income, abate small, besides SS.

Nope, he says he lost his house in his divorce & never had a steady job, let alone with a pension plan.

m4travels

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband has had his SS deposited directly to our Mexican bank account for the past year. It's been working great for us. We were doing really well when the exchange was +$20 pesos to the dollar. Last month was approximately $18.60/dollar. This covers our rent and about one-half of our living expenses for the month. It arrives on the third day of each month and I transfer out the required amount for rent the next day. The next day we're off to Costco!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, he says he lost his house in his divorce & never had a steady job, let alone with a pension plan.
Cannot imagine $800 per month being enough for just food even in Belize... I should be so ashame of myself...food bill for the 2 of us now that we are retired (breakfast in, lunch out everyday, dinner out once to twice a week, plus groceries) run us at about 3K per month... this has been severely scaled back from when we were working.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...food bill for the 2 of us now that we are retired (breakfast in, lunch out everyday, dinner out once to twice a week, plus groceries) run us at about 3K per month... this has been severely scaled back from when we were working.
I thought DH and I were spending too much, and we do most of our meals at home. That's a pretty hefty grocery/dining bill, for sure! Hate to ask what it was before you scaled back, LOL.
But, ya know, each to their own--to those who love good food and dining out, and I say do what you love--especially when you're retired. Whoop it up if you can afford it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought DH and I were spending too much, and we do most of our meals at home. That's a pretty hefty grocery/dining bill, for sure! Hate to ask what it was before you scaled back, LOL.
But, ya know, each to their own--to those who love good food and dining out, and I say do what you love--especially when you're retired. Whoop it up if you can afford it.
Food + food related groceries were running about 5K per month. We are actually quite proud of ourselves by cutting down to 3K a month now. :)

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no reference to medical coverage. Medicare does not cover you outside the US. Medical coverage could be a large additional cost.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Cannot imagine $800 per month being enough for just food even in Belize... I should be so ashame of myself...food bill for the 2 of us now that we are retired (breakfast in, lunch out everyday, dinner out once to twice a week, plus groceries) run us at about 3K per month... this has been severely scaled back from when we were working.

Yikes! 3K / month!!
We spend the winters in Corozal -not the touristy expensive (ie;Ambergris Caye) area. DH & I kept track of all our spending the first year (Jan-Mar.2016) we were there so we could make sure we could afford it for future years. We spent on average about $60US per week on food, that included any quick trips out for a box of milk or loaf of bread. We ate 95% of our meals at the apartment & by looking at us you'd know we didn't starve! We buy local fruit & vegies (8 large bananas for $0.50US, a huge pineapple for $1.00US) and eat meat (chicken breasts, pork chops...) & 2 veg for dinner every night. Eggs were about $1.75US for a bag (yes a bag!) of 30 huge ones. Meat prices were slightly less than what I pay in Canada. (At home we average about $100.Cndn/week for all our groceries & eat out 2-3 times / month.) When we did eat dinner out at our favorite place in Corozal, it cost us about $20.00 BZ or $10.US depending on how many beer DH had.

Rent is very reasonable provided you don't want to stay in accommodations similar to the Hilton. We paid about $200US more a month in rent than our friend because we rent a nice apartment in a hotel facing the bay, rather than in the back of a locals house a couple of blocks from the water. Water, electricity, cable TV, butane (for cooking & BBQ) were a fraction of what we pay at home.

So it very possible to live comfortably on a small amount if you need/want to.

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There is no reference to medical coverage. Medicare does not cover you outside the US. Medical coverage could be a large additional cost.

Or it could be a very small cost. Nearly all the American Expats we know in Belize have emergency medivac coverage and pay for any treatments & tests out of pocket. Last winter DH developed a bad ear infection. After 2 visits to the local Dr., a swab test of some sort, 10 days of antibiotics and 5 days of pain meds, our total cost was less than $20.US

~Diane

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
All these articles underestimate the costs involved. Once the person arrives then reality sets in. A lot of things are cheaper and over all may be cheaper then where you are coming from but it is still expensive.