*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement gift for doctor??

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by KarenLK, Dec 7, 2007.

1. KarenLK

KarenLK TUG Member

My doctor is retiring after 20 years as my physician. I know I don't have to give him a gift, but I would like to, as he has served me well and I will miss him greatly. His family and my family have connections that go back to about 1930.
    Any suggestions for a GIFT??
    [I did think of offering him one of my weeks which will expire in April if I don't use it, but that may be a bit tacky.]

2. Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We know a lot of physician's, and they have said that the greated gift they have gotten is a special note from patients that expresses how they fell about them. You can express how much this MD has meant to you over the years and how well he had made you feel.

3. As a physician (I am semi-retired) a personalized note is a great present. It is a rare day that someone sends us a thank-you letter. We are also tired of popcorn tin cans and fruitcakes.

Forget a timeshare :D ... if you want to give a gift, then a gift certificate to a great restaurant is always appreciated.

Believe it or not....the average doctor is not as wealthy as most people think....especially family practice.

FYI- Karen...my family is from Buffalo and my father attended UB med school. I was only 6yo when we moved to Florida. I miss Bocce Pizza and actually ordered it FedEx for my mother one year.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  4. Weimaraner

Weimaraner TUG Member

Maybe a donation in his name to a favorite charity he is passionate about? Children's Miracle Network, Heart Association, or something similar. And the letter is great idea too!

5. cindi

cindi TUG Member

If you are thinking of a charity donaton, Make a Wish is always a good one for a physician.

6. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Doctor Bills

Our family doctor has cartoons, news clippings, pictures, & various odd & curious items on his waiting room bulletin boards -- including a check from Blue Cross for 1 cent & another Blue Cross check for 4 cents. I'm guessing he's not exactly cleaning up on MediCare, either.

When we come back from Florida loaded with oranges & grapefruits that we've picked ourselves, we always take a big bunch of those over to our doctor.

Now that we're Old Folks on MediCare, our Blue Cross is supposed to cover the "co-pay" (cute term for it they came up with, eh?) & the difference between the MediCare allowable & the actual amount of the doctor bill.

I'm not sure it reliably does either of those -- not without jumping through hoops.

So, now that it's Open Season, we're thinking of quitting Blue Cross & going with G. E. H. A. Low Option.

To all the men & women out there working in the Healing Arts to ease suffering & cure illness & treat the injured & restore sight & stave off premature death . . . heartfelt gratitude & many, many thanks. I am grateful every day.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

7. bobcat

bobcat TUG Member

Does he have a hobby.??? Golf,fishing etc.?? You could purchase something for him to use.

8. charford

charford TUG Member

If he is affiliated with a university or college, they would have a Medical Foundation or Medical Alumni Association to which you could send a donation. For certain, he graduated from a medical school to which you could send a donation.

Make a Wish is a good choice.

It can be tricky sending donations to medical charities otherwise. Some charities such as St. Jude's fund one particular hospital which may have nothing to do with your Dr.'s practice. DH was a physician and it rubbed us the wrong way when our children's daycare organized a donation from over 100 families to a local children's hospital. Only problem was, it wasn't the children's hospital that seved the area the day care was in, and the hospital dh worked at. It was a much better funded, well known hospital which didn't need the donation as much as dh's hospital.

As a backup, I agree with the gift certificate to a nice restaurant or the hobby idea.