• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restaurant recommendation in DC metro area?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We'll be in DC in early June for another stay at Old Town Alexandria. My brother and his new wife will be joining us for a few days during our week. We're looking for a nice restaurant in the DC metro area to have an anniversary dinner. They've never been to DC, so I'm thinking a nice place with a view would be a great way to celebrate.

Is there something in the DC Mall area with a view of the monuments? It doesn't have to be super fancy, but good food and the atmosphere should be a bit upscale. We're taking the Metro to get around. Any ideas?

Dave

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been to a few restaurants in that area.

Had a good meal at Brabo on King St. and Villa D'Est on St. Asaph St. There were also 2 middle eastern places on King St., but I can't remember their names. One had a price fix menu with belly dancers and the other one had a regular menu. They were both good.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dave, I don't have any personal suggestions, but whenever we've been someplace we're not familiar with I rely on tripadvisor. So far it hasn't let me down. We found some wonderful restaurants in Kansas City on a recent trip there.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm thinking. Give me a few hours. I'm getting old.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, all. I'm open to most anything. The idea is to help my brother and his lovely wife celebrate their first anniversary.

Is there something fun in Georgetown? I'm thinking maybe we could take the Metro to Georgetown and have dinner, then catch the river cruise boat back to the pier in Alexandria.

I looked at the POV at the top of the W Hotel across from the White House, (incredible views), because I know people who had their wedding reception there a few years ago. Looks pretty nice, but very spendy. They have a minimum dollar per table, and a 1/3 fee in advance just to make a reservation. I'm thinking that may be a bit too rich for us. :eek: :D

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dave, I'm going to Facebook message a friend of mine who lives in the area to see if she has any ideas.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I'm going to Facebook message a friend of mine who lives in the area to see if she has any ideas.

Nice! Thank you!

Dave

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of places that have great views.

Look at some of the restaurants on the waterfront at Georgetown. I like Fishers, Farmers, and Bakers, but it isn't right on the water. Old Ebbit Grill is iconic and right near the White House. Better for brunch IMO.

Look on Tripadvisor or Yelp and use a map view. You may find something.

If view doesn't matter, just go hog wild. DC is a GREAT food city and somewhat underrated. We have some of the best restaurants on the east coast.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC restaurants don't really have views of the Mall because of height restrictions and the fact that the Mall is surrounded by what are essentially government buildings.

In Alexandria there are a couple of restaurants with good waterfront views where you probably can see the Washington Monument: The Chart House and Indigo Landing.

Honestly, I would just book a reservation at Restaurant Eve in the heart of Old Town. That's one of the best restaurants anywhere in the region and just down the street.

The owner of that restaurant also has an upscale speakeasy nearby that is really cool and you need reservations: http://www.barpx.com/

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If you like airplanes, Ruth's Chris in Crystal City overlooks National Airport (if you get near the windows). Great sights of takeoffs and landings. Short walk from a Metro stop.

Cheers

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Filomena's in Georgetown. No views, but wonderful homemade pasta.
Reasonably priced. I second Old Ebbit Grill, although we usually go for lunch or brunch as well. We also really like District Chop House ( near the National Portrait Gallery). I've heard that Vermilion in Alexandria is excellent but haven't tried it yet...looks a bit pricey, but maybe for a special occasion?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
These are great ideas. Thanks, everyone! I'll check out these places. I'm sure any of them would be great.

Edited to add: Just talked to my brother. We're going to have dinner at the Chart House in Alexandria, and after dinner take a Potomac Riverboat Cruise up past the lighted monuments. I think that will make for a pretty memorable wedding anniversary for them. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Odysseycruises. Com

Cruise Routes ~ Menu ~ Attire ~ Ship Photo ~ Prices & Schedule

See the Monuments from the beautiful Glass Enclosed Odyssey
Enjoy live music, dining, exceptional service and monumental views.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
These are great ideas. Thanks, everyone! I'll check out these places. I'm sure any of them would be great.

Edited to add: Just talked to my brother. We're going to have dinner at the Chart House in Alexandria, and after dinner take a Potomac Riverboat Cruise up past the lighted monuments. I think that will make for a pretty memorable wedding anniversary for them. :)

Dave

Funny: I was going to suggest that, but thought 'nah, too touristy.'

I think it's actually a good choice. I've heard good reviews from Chart H. but never eaten there... The boat is not bad...great views.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Funny: I was going to suggest that, but thought 'nah, too touristy.'

I think it's actually a good choice. I've heard good reviews from Chart H. but never eaten there... The boat is not bad...great views.

Thanks, Rob. I think it'll work out great. We did the river cruise two years ago, so know what to expect. The Chart House is a name I know from other cities, and it's a quality atmosphere. Trying to give my brother and his wonderful wife a pleasant DC experience for their first visit -- but how do you see DC in only three days? In this case, it'll be more about the overall experience than what they'll actually get to see.

That it happens to be on the first anniversary of the wedding I officiated for them, well, that's just icing on the (wedding) cake. ;)

Dave

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
+1 on Old Ebbit's Grill and Filomenas in Georgetown.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hard Times Cafe

Just down King Street (toward the river) from Wyndham Old Town Alexandria. Chili, burgers, wings, cold beer.

I love Chart House. Hard Times Café is at the other end of the spectrum.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like Hard Times, try Nando's Peri Peri. Not as down and dirty, but real good wings, chicken, sauce, etc.

Just down King Street (toward the river) from Wyndham Old Town Alexandria. Chili, burgers, wings, cold beer.

I love Chart House. Hard Times Café is at the other end of the spectrum.