• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation Question

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
When you use SO.s to book at 8 mos out at a resort that is not your home resort is there a reservation fee? Is it only when you break your 2 bedroom lock off up into 2 reservations that there is a reservation fee?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
When you use SO.s to book at 8 mos out at a resort that is not your home resort is there a reservation fee? Is it only when you break your 2 bedroom lock off up into 2 reservations that there is a reservation fee?

I have received notification of a Housekeeping fee added, but never a reservation fee. The housekeeping fee was only applied after I booked more reservations than what I actually own. (i.e. two separate 1 BR vacations when I own a 2 BR.)

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
No reservation fees with StarOptions. We have been hit with a housekeeping fee a couple of times, probably because we don't generally book in even weeks. I don't think SandyPGravel is talking about a two bedroom lockoff.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No lock off fee and no reservation fee. The system is supposed to keep track of the number of housekeeping that have been used - 1 for each side of the unit. If the system thinks that you have booked several short stays, it will tell you that the new reservation will incur a houskeeping fee of something like $30 when you check into the unit. The system has been wrong in my case before - I knew that I did not use up all the housekeeping allowance when the message was shown. I did not want to fight over $30 and did not bother to contact the customer service folks. When I checked in, I was not charged the $30.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I don't recall ever being charged any fees for 'non home' reservations or occupation and we've done it at quite a few resorts.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thank you. Once I actually get my deed and start using it I'm sure there will be a learning curve still. Appreciate all the info!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
No reservation fees with StarOptions. We have been hit with a housekeeping fee a couple of times, probably because we don't generally book in even weeks. I don't think SandyPGravel is talking about a two bedroom lockoff.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Correct I was using a 2 BR as an example. Sorry, probably a poor choice. :rolleyes:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a confirmation fee when you get a guest confirmation for Staroption reservations. But not to make a reservation in your own name.

If you split a 2 bdm. within 60 day of check-in, or cancel the reservation, there is a fee for for both Staroption and home resort reservations.

If you split or cancel any reservation outside of 60 days, there is no fee.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I have yet to figure out those housekeeping fees. Luckily I've had them waived. Once they tried to charge me $50. The other time $30. Both times I was not over my allotted amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out those housekeeping fees. Luckily I've had them waived. Once they tried to charge me $50. The other time $30. Both times I was not over my allotted amount.

I've never paid them, but at a high level I believe you pay them if your yearly reservations exceed the number of units you own. I believe that LOs give you an extra unit. So, say you won 3 VOIs (no LOs). You would pay the fee starting with the 4th reservation that year. Please jump in if I got this wrong...

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I don't know. I have all LOs except for WSJ. I use full weeks, hardly ever split. I did bank options but even those I used full weeks. It happened several years ago. If they charged me for using my banked option weeks, I think that's BS too since that's part of my MFs/use.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don't know. I have all LOs except for WSJ. I use full weeks, hardly ever split. I did bank options but even those I used full weeks. It happened several years ago. If they charged me for using my banked option weeks, I think that's BS too since that's part of my MFs/use.

Technically your banked SOs don't represent your owned weeks at all. They represent points which can be redeemed within VSN according to the VSN exchange rules.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Technically your banked SOs don't represent your owned weeks at all. They represent points which can be redeemed within VSN according to the VSN exchange rules.

Correct, but to me it's just like making a SO reservation. Not a home resort reservation but a SO. I did still pay MF/use for those SO, not to mention a fee to bank. Then they want to charge housekeeping, when that would've been part of my normal use if I had used it the year before? Money grab. It's costing them nothing if I use the full week. Now if I split the week up into a couple days, yes.

But this is hardly an issue for me as I rarely bank or split a LO. It happened once a few years ago when my kids were involved in school sports.