• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescission complete and mailed certified - signature required?

Is it necessary to require a signature on a certified letter when rescinding a time share contract?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Doesn't matter, both work

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Christine C

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yesterday my fiancé and I got pressured into buying an Atlantic City, NJ Flagship Fantaseas Resort time share. They started us at $20,000 promising it had a 94% exchange rate. I told them I had never researched the company, didn't know much about time shares, and wasn't comfortable making the decision right then. To "help us out" they gave us the "great deal" of $7,900. We asked if we could talk privately about our finances to which we were told no that our representative couldn't leave us alone. I should have taken that as a red flag, but we did indeed sign.

I didn't feel good about the decision, so I did some some research last night and found this amazing site. I think a time share in the future might be nice, but I'll certainly do my homework before purchasing again, and I will do so on the resale market.

I've decided to send in my rescission letter via certified USPS mail. The instructions on the contract said I had seven calendar days to send a cancellation in writing. With tomorrow being the 4th of July, I figured it best to send it out today. I've read through several threads. A few say just a certified letter and the corresponding receipt are fine because the buyer isn't responsible for the mail delivery of the post office nor the mail room of the time share office. Other threads say to get a certified letter and require a signature. Is the signature necessary? Should I send a second certified letter and require a signature? Should I send a copy via email as well or just avoid all other communication? Thank you!

Christine

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding us in time to save 8 grand!

follow the instructions detailed in the contract to the letter and you will be just fine!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about getting a signature of the recipient. If you mailed it USPS Certified w/return receipt, you'll have tracking and be notified of it's delivery. That's what we recommend. Trust me. The resort will know your intention and since you have the proof of mailing, they'll process the rescission. It may well take 45 days to see the refund, and they are not required to give you a progress report, so be prepared to sweat it for a while.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You don't need a signature - you need proof of the day you mailed it.