• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

rescinding question

hollyl

Reaction score
I have rescinded a timeshare purchase within the 7 days after I found you guys and now they keep calling (I haven't picked up) and they have just emailed and said that it's imperative that I contact them before next week about the cancellation. Is this just trying to get back the business or do I need to contact them? Thank you!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
My take on this is if you had done something incorrect when trying to rescind they would not contact you, because then you would be on the hook for the TS. Since they are calling repeatedly I would say they are going to try to talk you out of your rescission. IMO.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are strong enough, you could call them back and find out what it is about. But chances are they are going to try to convince you to not rescind. Just the sales rep trying to save his commission.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you don't mention what state the sales presentation was in, we can't give you the exact time when it's safe to call them. But that would be AFTER the rescission period has ended. I'd suspect that the 'imperative' part of the email was that was during the time they could make you additional 'offers', more bonuses, lower the price, or whatever it would take to change your mind and 'save the sale'. If you DO call, don't fall for the 'why do you want to cancel' thing. They are trained to counter ANY reason you give- whatever it is. Best to just continue to ignore their calls/emails.

Jim

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Out of curiosity, what resort or what timeshare resort system? People here have lots of experience with the various resorts and companies and someone can probably tell you just how bad it will get if you call.

hollyl

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what resort or what timeshare resort system? People here have lots of experience with the various resorts and companies and someone can probably tell you just how bad it will get if you call.
We bought Starwood's Westin desert willows.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do not call. Do not answer their calls.
If by accident, you talk to them, do not offer any reason or sign of weakness.
At most, say, "There is nothing for us to talk about.
I expect my cancellation to be processed promptly." (click)

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and now they keep calling (I haven't picked up) and they have just emailed and said that it's imperative that I contact them...

It's important to differentiate here and hopefully you know the answer to this. Who are "they" who keep calling? Is it the sales people or the corporate office? If it's the sales people, then, as others have emphatically pointed out, "they" are just going to try to change your mind from rescinding. If it's the corporate office where you sent your rescission letter, then it's possible that there is a legitimate question or concern.

My money, however, is on the former.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess you COULD call and see who answers. If it's the sales dept, hang up. If it's the business office you might want to hear what they have to say. If the conversation wanders into uncomfortable territory, you might experience an unfortunate breakdown of the communication network (hang up).

hollyl

Reaction score
It's important to differentiate here and hopefully you know the answer to this. Who are "they" who keep calling? Is it the sales people or the corporate office? If it's the sales people, then, as others have emphatically pointed out, "they" are just going to try to change your mind from rescinding. If it's the corporate office where you sent your rescission letter, then it's possible that there is a legitimate question or concern.

My money, however, is on the former.
It's the "cancellation department" who is calling.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's the "cancellation department" who is calling.

FWIW, I'm guessing that that is the sales department's euphemism for itself hoping that you will more readily respond to the "cancellation department" rather than the sales department.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
I would call. Just let them speak, but don't answer questions. If they get salesy, then hang up.
If you want to get sassy, ask them what color underwear they are wearing or if they can sing you a song. I usually pull that kind of stuff with telemarketers or scammers, well that and reading a really incredibly long credit card number to them very slowly, and then asking them if it's enough numbers. Anyway have fun!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The potential problem with speaking to the disappointed sales weasels at all is that they can then potentially assert (...yes, even falsely) that in the course of that conversation (which you initiated if you made the call) you expressed interest in not proceeding with the previously submitted contract rescission.
Yes, this potential scenario is admittedly a bit far fetched, but let's not overlook or forget the fact that these weasels lie, all day and every day, for a living.

If the rescission correspondence has been properly addressed, timely submitted and signed by all who signed the contract, there is absolutely no need for any further conversation, not even to "play" with the weasels. The law is clear, effective and it will work well for you --- as long as you don't now suddenly choose to get in the way and unnecessarily muddy the waters. Stay off the phone and do not talk to them at all.

Just my own thoughts and personal opinion. YMMV.

Last edited: