• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting

kelm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to rent a Wyndham timeshare? [Specifics redacted - to comply with no advertising rule.] Is it too early? I did look on the rental ads here. Didn't find too many. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
TUG and www.redweek.com are both safer places to rent because they require paid registration to advertise.

kelm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I had joined Redweek. After getting rid of my timeshare not too long ago I thought it would be easy to find rentals for less than what I was paying in maintenance fees! Doesn't seem so.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to rent a Wyndham timeshare? [Specifics redacted - to comply with no advertising rule.] Is it too early? I did look on the rental ads here. Didn't find too many. Thanks!
Ebay is another good place to look. You can see what the going rate for various properties is by looking in the completed listings.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
ebay, airBnB, VRBO, Redweek, Myresortnetwork

I've used the first 3 to rent both wyndham and other places. all I've rented have been without issue.

Have a week coming up in a month where we rented from ebay. should be good. the sellers/owner have an extensive feedback history on FB and ebay.

do your research, vote with your wallet, and you will be fine. GL

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't done an extensive study but In the time I've been renting Wyndham reservations I feel that that there has been some consolatation. When I started Wyndham had just finished a round of rule changes and fee increases designed to curtail renting activity. The advice I got was don't even try. The competition was too great and mf too high to make any money. Lots of little guys were getting out and we saw the rise of the points managers

I jumped in anyway and learned really fast that the only way to make any money was to do a lot ie make it a business. And no business is going to rent to you at less than cost (mf)

The only way for you to get rentals for less than mf is to find a VIP owner that is willing to pass through their discounts however the big guys make their money by renting at market prices and keeping the discounts for themselves

And by the way Wyndham is working really hard right now to convince some of the biggert renters to reduce the size of their operations. I believe this business will be left to the points managers. You won't find any individual owners renting to you because they turn their accounts over to the professionals

Last edited:

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't done an extensive study but In the time I've been renting Wyndham reservations I feel that that there has been some consolatation. When I started Wyndham had just finished a round of rule changes and fee increases designed to curtail renting activity. The advice I got was don't even try. The competition was too great and mf too high to make any money. Lots of little guys were getting out and we saw the rise of the points managers

I jumped in anyway and learned really fast that the only way to make any money was to do a lot ie make it a business. And no business is going to rent to you at less than cost (mf)

The only way for you to get rentals for less than mf is to find a VIP owner that is willing to pass through their discounts however the big guys make their money by renting at market prices and keeping the discounts for themselves

And by the way Wyndham is working really hard right now to convince some of the biggert renters to reduce the size of their operations. I believe this business will be left to the points managers. You won't find any individual owners renting to you because they turn their accounts over to the professionals

I've seen points manager mentioned a few times. Is this someone who owns a lot of points or someone who manages others accounts and rents for them ? Or like Wyndham Extra Holiday's.

I don't want to be a be a big renter but would not mind renting out once in a while. From what I see on Ebay everything is going for dirt cheap, how can the big renters compete with that?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen points manager mentioned a few times. Is this someone who owns a lot of points or someone who manages others accounts and rents for them ? Or like Wyndham Extra Holiday's.

I don't want to be a be a big renter but would not mind renting out once in a while. From what I see on Ebay everything is going for dirt cheap, how can the big renters compete with that?

The question is how can you compete with the big renters. They are able to rent for less than mf and still profit

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The question is how can you compete with the big renters. They are able to rent for less than mf and still profit

How is it possible to rent for less than the maintenance fees and still make a profit?

We have very low maintenance fees and I have seen some stays listed on eBay that are so cheap that I would better off buying the stay and saving my points. And the reservations are further out than 60 days so booked without the discount! The listings seemed to be for the one bedroom units, not even a deluxe sometimes, but that would be fine for the two of us.

When I've seen these listings I've always assumed it was timeshare resale groups just looking to generate some income to help offset the maintenance fees while they hold the contract. The only way that I could figure out that they were making anything over and above the maintenance fees, eBay fee, etc. was if they were using free guest reservations.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score

The question is how can you rent for less than mf and make a profit ? Unless you mean mf on the upgraded unit but booked for a studio. I have seen several presidential units being rented for far less than mf of a presidential unit. The new market price seems to be $100 a night or less no matter what size the unit.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is it possible to rent for less than the maintenance fees and still make a profit?

We have very low maintenance fees and I have seen some stays listed on eBay that are so cheap that I would better off buying the stay and saving my points. And the reservations are further out than 60 days so booked without the discount! The listings seemed to be for the one bedroom units, not even a deluxe sometimes, but that would be fine for the two of us.

When I've seen these listings I've always assumed it was timeshare resale groups just looking to generate some income to help offset the maintenance fees while they hold the contract. The only way that I could figure out that they were making anything over and above the maintenance fees, eBay fee, etc. was if they were using free guest reservations.

I recently made a 550.000 point reservation for a customer. The mf at $5.50 per 1000 points is just over $3000. I charged him half that

A studio at the same resort is 175000 points I made one of these reservations too

So inside 60 days I'll cancel the studio and re book it with 87,500 points and then cancel the 3 bedroom and upgrade the studio

So I get that 3 bedroom presidential for half the studio price or $482 which is significantly less than mf for 550000 points

And regarding your comment that you could rent cheaper than owning: my customer is a Wyndham owner who is thinking about giving his ownership to me because it doesn't make sense to continue owning

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
.... So not only do you have to be platinum in the above example you also have to have enough points that you can tie up 700,000+ points perhaps for months to ultimately use 87,500 points to make that profit.

Really only the megarenter types can do that.

Regular old platinum members along with the mega renters might stumble across some last minute good inventory that they can offer at a good a price.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... So not only do you have to be platinum in the above example you also have to have enough points that you can tie up 700,000+ points perhaps for months to ultimately use 87,500 points to make that profit.

Regular old platinum members along with the mega renters might stumble across some last minute good inventory that they can offer at a good a price.

The part I left out is that I reserved a second 3 bedroom presidential for insurance. In case I lose playing the rebook/upgrade game I can still honor my commitment. (I'll lose money but I'll keep a customer). So actually I'm tying up over a million points. But not really. Once I got rolling doing this the way it works is that I'm always cancelling something to make the next deal possible

At my peak I had 30 million Wyndham points 500000 Worldmark credits and about 25 assorted fixed and floating weeks and was paying nearly $20000 a month maintenance fees. There are several guys I know that are significantly bigger than that. And the big points managers are much bigger. I was solicited by a points manager that wants to budget for 150 million points next year. I had planned to put together a group to satisfy their needs until my accounts were frozen

My point is it's tough for the little guy to compete with the likes of that so it's tough for a customer like the op to find someone willing to give him the bargains he wants

The reason I did what I did in the post above is that the customer was one of my first customers and I still do things for him that I did when I was trying to build this thing

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't find any individual owners renting to you because they turn their accounts over to the professionals

Unless they still own prime FW units in high value locations. Those can still be rented fairly easily.

For Plat members that want to rent points, as Ron states, it must always be booked with the discounts and upgrades in place to net a reasonable profit margin. It's very hard to compete with the mega-renters and point managers in the rental game and the KoolAid the sales people try to get people to drink at the time they sell a VIP Plat account is spiked. It takes a lot of work and is not for the "casual renter" to jump into unless they are prepared to spend the time.

Some of the smaller, non-mega renters tend to "niche" their markets. Don't consider Ron to be a small renter but he has made a lot of success out of the niche'd approach. He KNOWS his market and sticks to what he knows.... except for the occasional curiosity walkabouts. He's pretty good at pulling the gut instinct trigger and figuring out how to make it work after the fact.;)

north

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you have a million points and don't need ARP, you can credit pool the next two use years and have 3 million points to play with. That makes it a lot easier to hold reservations that you are going to cancel to do the upgrade.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a million points and don't need ARP, you can credit pool the next two use years and have 3 million points to play with. That makes it a lot easier to hold reservations that you are going to cancel to do the upgrade.

I was doing it with 30 million, credit pooled to give me 90 to play with..and Im not one of the really big guys

My point still stands, Its tough for a guy with just a million points to compete

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless they still own prime FW units in high value locations. Those can still be rented fairly easily.

For Plat members that want to rent points, as Ron states, it must always be booked with the discounts and upgrades in place to net a reasonable profit margin. It's very hard to compete with the mega-renters and point managers in the rental game and the KoolAid the sales people try to get people to drink at the time they sell a VIP Plat account is spiked. It takes a lot of work and is not for the "casual renter" to jump into unless they are prepared to spend the time.

Some of the smaller, non-mega renters tend to "niche" their markets. Don't consider Ron to be a small renter but he has made a lot of success out of the niche'd approach. He KNOWS his market and sticks to what he knows.... except for the occasional curiosity walkabouts. He's pretty good at pulling the gut instinct trigger and figuring out how to make it work after the fact.;)

absolutely right, prime time fixed weeks are the best, but you cant scale that

for example, in the last 6 years Ive only been able to buy 2 mardi gras event weeks

But last year I had over 50 mardi gras reservations out of the 375 or so wyndham timeshare suites in New Orleans... I had one guest tell me that he is a pretty friendly guy and met a number of other folks staying at Avenue Plaza.. It seemed to him that every other person he met was one of my guests

Owners dont like that and neither does Wyndham

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
absolutely right, prime time fixed weeks are the best, but you cant scale that
The casual renter doesn't want to scale it. The are only looking to recover MF's with a small amount of $$ left over to spend on other holidays.

Regardless, it still takes work to make even the occasional rental happen. Owners need to get their head around what that looks like. Not as easy as it seems. Owners even considering doing rentals have to make an informed decision as to whether it's worth it to put in the time and effort to make it happen.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently made a 550.000 point reservation for a customer. The mf at $5.50 per 1000 points is just over $3000. I charged him half that

A studio at the same resort is 175000 points I made one of these reservations too

So inside 60 days I'll cancel the studio and re book it with 87,500 points and then cancel the 3 bedroom and upgrade the studio

So I get that 3 bedroom presidential for half the studio price or $482 which is significantly less than mf for 550000 points

And regarding your comment that you could rent cheaper than owning: my customer is a Wyndham owner who is thinking about giving his ownership to me because it doesn't make sense to continue owning

Appreciate the insight. I am still waiting for my first resell contract to close. Always rented via Airbnb for my Wyndham trips. Wondered how those guys made money. Using your steps, seems very easy.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight. I am still waiting for my first resell contract to close. Always rented via Airbnb for my Wyndham trips. Wondered how those guys made money. Using your steps, seems very easy.

If it was easy everyone would do it