• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting someones week

dabler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys – Quick question. I have agreed in principle to rent a week from a member who was advertising here on TUG and was wondering is it normal practice for the renter to call the resort and confirm who owns that week. as I have been asked to do?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

dabler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it’s to verify they are the owners, which seems fine. I just feel uncomfortable calling the resort and asking for this info out of the blue.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Has the owner made arrangements with the resort for you to call? Otherwise they won't disclose confidential Info. If they've made the arrangements, then there will be notes in the owner's file, and the resort will know you have authorization.

"I'm renting from Joe Owner - he gave me his info., so that I could call you and verify it - he said he authorized it with you."

BTW - normally you would call central reservations - not the resort itself.

See the link above for other ways to verify a rental.

dabler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise. I’m going to drop them another e-mail and ask if this has been done. I’m sending you a PM.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Have the owner scan a copy of the m/f bill

When I rent a week, I always send the renter a copy of our current paid MF bill. It confirms the fees are paid and also verifies ownership.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I rent a week, I always send the renter a copy of our current paid MF bill. It confirms the fees are paid and also verifies ownership.

That is on the list I linked above, but the owner is out of town and does not have access to any of their Docs.

dabler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I’ve emailed the owner for more info and won’t rent unless I'm certain.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hi Guys – Quick question. I have agreed in principle to rent a week from a member who was advertising here on TUG and was wondering is it normal practice for the renter to call the resort and confirm who owns that week. as I have been asked to do?

I would never do that. As has been noted, a cold call to a resort will get no information whatsoever. Actually, I'm not often asked to prove that I really have what I'm selling, which is a little surprising.

When I've been asked about Wyndham reservations, I just made a .pdf of the page with the reservation and emailed that. For floating weeks (I have eleven), I could always show a reservation confirmation. My six fixed weeks would be more difficult. Mostly, I tell people to check my feedback on eBay, where I sell now and then.

No matter what kind of proof is provided, there is the possibility that a seller could misbehave. Sell the same reservation more than once, for example.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No matter what kind of proof is provided, there is the possibility that a seller could misbehave. Sell the same reservation more than once, for example.

The Ad is on TUG, the owner is a TUG member - at this point the OP just wants info. on how to verify a Resv. I have been emailing with him and there is no indication of a problem, except the owner is out of the country, doesn't have their Docs, and doesn't want to make an expensive cell phone call.

Since you must be a TUG member to post a rental Ad on TUG, it would be rare to find a scam Ad on the TUG Marketplace.

dabler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with the resort and asked if there was a reservation in my name for the week I’m renting and the unit number, the desk clerk said no but maybe in another name, I gave owners name and she confirmed that was their week.

I didn’t make any reference whatsoever that I was renting.

Have contacted owner and moving onto the next step.

Thanks for your input guys, its been very helpful

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I agree to a rental I give the person Marriott customer service phone and the reservation to confirm my ownership and the week being offered.

Marriott is happy to confimr this. When I receive payment I put the reservation in the renter's name and send them a confirming copy with their name on it.