• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Marriott Timeshare week to non owner

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just found out that I cannot stay in my owner week over Christmas this year due to scheduling problems. I am able to rent it out to a friend. Any advice on what to say to my friend about payment, cancellation or anything else? Thanks.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
"Pay in full now, non-refundable if cancelled, have a good time".

You're three months out, and you're taking it off the market.
Why would you not do these things? It's business.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will take the money up front and tell them there's no cancellation. Do I just move it into their name?

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will take the money up front and tell them there's no cancellation. Do I just move it into their name?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Simply call Marriott Owner Services (1-800-845-4226) and tell them to add the guest's name to the reservation. They will send you a confirmation email with the guest's name listed, and you can forward that to your friend. Your name will still be linked and associated with the reservation (you're the owner and still hold ultimate control), but they will be officially listed, and can check in without any problem. Remind the guest that they will be asked to submit a credit card upon check-in (for incidental villa charges while they're there).

Just a tip, but might always be best not to mention the word "rental", so you can make a villa request and the guest will still get that same "owner's preference". "Renters" have the lowest priority as to villa assignments (both renters from Marriott and renters from owners, in my opinion), and you might like them to get a nice assignment or location.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Sounds pretty formal for a friend -- I've rented to a friends several times. I called the resort, asked them to be added as guests and to be given keys. After doing that I called my friends, told them they were listed as a guests with key privileges, gave them the front desk phone number so they could confirm. Didn't get into the no cancellation business at all. Like I said -- friends.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For me it depends. If it is $500 or so I don't worry about anything formal although I do drill into them that this isn't like a hotel reservation where you can cancel even last minute for a fairly nominal fee. For reservations over $1000, I would at the minimum send an email with formal rental terms including emphasis on the non refundable clause. If something came up, I would certainly work with my friend to get it re rented (heck would do this for almost anyone unless they are being a terrible jerk).

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vote in favor of being formal, even if you "assign occupancy" to a FRIEND. I'd (and have) drawn up a Rental Agreement that clearly states terms, and that specifically holds you harmless of any liabilities (e.g. trip and fall in the villa resulting in personal injury, theft of personal belongings, damage to the villa, etc.), and that assigns all responsibility to your guests. As others have stated, a single call to Owner Services is all you need to do to have your friend's name added (as your guests) to your reservation. We follow the same (Rental Agreement) practice with friends, employees, etc.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I'm all for helping friends, but anything less than the formal contract with specific stipulations could easily result in a very sticky situation if those "friends" cancel, say, one week prior, and leave you holding the bag if there's no formal contract. Without a contract, the friends would certainly expect to be "let out of any obligations", and would not expect to pay ANYTHING, "because we're friends".

I've seen similar situations many times, so imho, it's ALWAYS best to spell things out well before,
and thus PRESERVE a friendship rather than end one.

Last edited:

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Heh -- well I guess that depends on your friends :=)

In any case, I like Stevens trip insurance idea.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any chance of seeing a sample of a rental agreement used by owners? We just purchased on HH and on the off chance we'll rent it, I'd like to be educated in how that works.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dee