• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Hyatt

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
I am trying to rent Hyatt week from an owner. I was given a confirmation number of the week reserved. When I call to confirm the reservation, will they disclose the info to me since I'm not the owner?
If everything is confirmed and deal is closed, how do I know that the owner will not change the guest certificate and remove my name. I'm so paranoid now, just got scammed last week snd in the middle of disputing with CC and Paypal

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I am trying to rent Hyatt week from an owner. I was given a confirmation number of the week reserved. When I call to confirm the reservation, will they disclose the info to me since I'm not the owner?
If everything is confirmed and deal is closed, how do I know that the owner will not change the guest certificate and remove my name. I'm so paranoid now, just got scammed last week snd in the middle o

I'm not sure about the first part, but the answer to the second part of your question is that you don't know. There has to be a mutual trust between the renter and the rentee. If you don't trust the renter to deliver the week as agreed, then you need to book it directly from Hyatt - that's about the only way to absolutely guarantee it.

Most reputable renters will be able to offer a reference or two, have a rental contract, and allow for paypal or the like (in which they would be taking a risk that you would not file a dispute after the fact).

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Question to Renters, when a rentee pays thru paypal, do you send them an invoice, and pay it as if buying an item rather than send to family and frieds? How long will Paypal hold your funds.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I've used the invoice method for the rentals I've done, and they don't hold the funds at all (but then again, I've had a paypal account since 2000; I'm not sure how they treat newer accounts).

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
If everything is confirmed and deal is closed, how do I know that the owner will not change the guest certificate and remove my name. I'm so paranoid now, just got scammed last week snd in the middle of disputing with CC and Paypal

We have rented our Hyatt time share several times. I have always encouraged the prospective renter to both call the resort directly to confirm the reservation in my name along with unit number, and have provided them with a copy of my confirmed reservation that I get from the members clubhouse, when I reserve it. As Scooter mention I do have a contract template that I use to put in appropriate dates, etc. I do how ever, DO NOT put the unit in the renters name until I have the signed contract and monies are paid.
As in life there is no guarantee's, but the mutual trust developed in speaking with the individual on the phone and emails, works both ways. I understand your concern especially with the recent history, but I have found both renting and selling on reputable sites as TUG, Red week I have some sense of assurance.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question to Renters, when a rentee pays thru paypal, do you send them an invoice, and pay it as if buying an item rather than send to family and frieds? How long will Paypal hold your funds.
I generally use an invoice. With some repeat renters, they just send the payment once we agree on the rental fee and rental details.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
He actually forwarded the email of hyatt confirmation of his reservation. I will be calling hyatt. He has offered for me to pay him 500$ deposit AFTER he sends me guest certificate under my name. Am I calling hyatt to confirm the fuest certificate? Then after he offered payment of balance in 3 equal payment June 15, July 15 and August 15. Does that sound weird?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
heckp - As posted earlier, resorts will not talk to you about a reservation that is not in your name, but once you receive a confirmation in your name, the resort will confirm it for you.

If the owner is willing to have Hyatt put the confirmation in your name, and send you the official Hyatt confirmation, (with no money upfront) which you can confirm - I see no risk - up to that point.

If you do verify with the resort, and everything else checks out, I would proceed cautiously. However, I would call Hyatt AGAIN, before making each of the future payments, to make sure the confirmation is still in place.

Yes - owners always have control of their reservations and can cancel them at any time - that is why you need to do your due diligence, up front.

No offense - but not everyone is cut out to do a private rental. Maybe this just isn't your cup of tea.

Last edited:

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
We have rented our Hyatt time share several times. I have always encouraged the prospective renter to both call the resort directly to confirm the reservation in my name along with unit number, and have provided them with a copy of my confirmed reservation that I get from the members clubhouse, when I reserve it. As Scooter mention I do have a contract template that I use to put in appropriate dates, etc. I do how ever, DO NOT put the unit in the renters name until I have the signed contract and monies are paid.
As in life there is no guarantee's, but the mutual trust developed in speaking with the individual on the phone and emails, works both ways. I understand your concern especially with the recent history, but I have found both renting and selling on reputable sites as TUG, Red week I have some sense of assurance.
When a rentee calls the resort prior to naming them on guest certificate, will they disclose that you have a reservation to the person? On the reservation confirmation sent to me, Unit number says BEST AVAILABLE it does not have a particular unit.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
He actually forwarded the email of hyatt confirmation of his reservation. I will be calling hyatt. He has offered for me to pay him 500$ deposit AFTER he sends me guest certificate under my name. Am I calling hyatt to confirm the fuest certificate? Then after he offered payment of balance in 3 equal payment June 15, July 15 and August 15. Does that sound weird?

That's a very generous payment policy to be offered when dealing with an individual renting their timeshare week, in my opinion.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
When a rentee calls the resort prior to naming them on guest certificate, will they disclose that you have a reservation to the person? On the reservation confirmation sent to me, Unit number says BEST AVAILABLE it does not have a particular unit.
I have not heard from those who rented from me in regards to having a problem when calling THE RESORT (not Hyatt) to confirm my reservation and unit number.. If in the reservation sent to the owner from Hyatt it does say "BEST AVAILABLE" then he has a floating week. You could end up with a ocean view, or a parking lot view. You could end up any where with in the resort.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Another consideration is where did you rent from. If you rented from a TUGger, check to see how long they have a been a member. Long time members are not likely to screw people over and have someone not hear about it.

You could also ask for references. If I have nervous renters, I provide references from past renters. I request if I can use them as a reference after the reservation has been used, I almost always get people to agree to provide their contact info to a prospective renter. If used I do give them a heads up, so they know someone might contact them. A few people have emailed the references. Clearly I would not have references if i was ripping people off.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Thanks everyone, I asked the renter for all of the above and has not heard back from him anymore. Like Denise had mentioned, renting privately is probably not my thing lol. C'est la vie .

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much time did you give him to reply? Sometimes I don't get to my email for a couple of days. Don't assume he's a bad guy. If he's renting a week he owns and can show that, just hang in there.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
How much time did you give him to reply? Sometimes I don't get to my email for a couple of days. Don't assume he's a bad guy. If he's renting a week he owns and can show that, just hang in there.

You are absolutely right! The gentleman got back to me lat Saturday and we spoke (lenghty conversation, lol) yesterday. Very nice guy, he gave me his reasons why he hesitated to give me references because he didn't want to disclose peoples info to anyone. He has 7 other rental weeks at the site I found him from. I also called Hyatt to check the week I'm renting and it was reserved by the gentleman. Today, he has put our names on Guest Certificate and I confirmed it with Hyatt, it's there! When we spoke, I asked him how he wants the deposit and he said he doesn't need any from me yet. He wants to accomplish the GC first and have our names on it and then he'll let me know. He still wanted cheques, he said he does not have a Paypal account (he is a more mature gentlemen guaging from the voice). He still wants just a deposit of $500 and 3 more cheques June, July and August for the Sept week that we rented. He said that this term of payment makes it easier for the renter and can save for it. I emailed him today to ask where I can mail my cheques but has not gotten back to me yet, lol. He also mentioned that he got a few emails/calls from scammers with his listings.

I just wanted to share this more pleasant experience because the week prior, we got scammed from a rental I found in TUG Marketplace but confirmed by website Admin that the person hacked the member's account. Process of disputing with Paypal, praying for positive result.

Thank you all for your insight. Love TUG!