• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting HGVC Timeshare Reservations

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Please clarify the comment "those people need some help form HGVC now that they've burned their points and don't want to pay the MF for them" Do you mean people who borrow from next year and then don't pay the MF in January? I usually have 25K points left over from the previous year in December so that can't be me! If they are doing what you say I have no sympathy either. I was having sympathy for those that either through financial hardship or health can't vacation and use their points. They should be able to optimize their reservation and rental options to enable them to pay the MF when they have hardship situations.

Remy, who is Jan Andersen?

Need some help with looser renting rules. People who can't vacation can rent their ownership. What they can't do is rent any reservation they might make. My point is that very few people hit a financial hardship after burning a portion of their points that wouldn't allow them to make their full home week reservation. I can't imagine going on a 5 day weekend to Vegas and find out six months later that a vacation using my remaining points would break the bank. If so, suck it up and spend the $69 to move them to next year or let them go to waste and set forth on renting next year's home week. I just don't buy that less strict rental rules is the difference between a higher foreclosure rate and a lower one.

Jan Anderson works for HGVC in the resale department. When someone attempts to rent points, she generally comes up with a way to ferret them out. Sometimes by posing as a prospective renter.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
If it is points based, why differentiate rental policies between your home resort week/unit type and club season elsewhere? It's not like you are taking away from home season at a different resort...you simply cannot book it. Once the 9 month mark opens up, it should be fair game for all....personal use or rentals. Some people want to cover MF's and by booking the home resort, it may not be possible based on season and location...

If they allowed for someone to make any reservation and rent it out, we, as normal users of the club for vacations, would never be able to get into Hawaii. I'd buy in Vegas for the sole purpose of booking as many vacations in Hawaii in prime seasons as I could and rent them out for profit. I wouldn't have the demands of my own schedule, I'd just stay up late at night and take all the prime dates I could grab. Then I'd rent them. I'd rent them and rake in money because my Vegas MF is low while Hawaii is high.

The least Hilton can do is make sure the people profiting from rental are paying the high fees and taxes at the resort they're renting out.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Hilton negotiated well for Hilton Owners Benefit

Note that Hilton's points-to-book chart is not based on RCI points.
How HGVC & RCI arrived at the exchange schedule is a mystery.

I believe Hilton was the first major chain to sign on with RCI and I believe it was a good negotiation (if you don't give me a good exchange formula we are going to II) on Hilton's part to get the exchange schedule that clearly gives Hilton Owners the better end of the trade. For instance I will be using a 1 BR worth of points (4800) to stay in a 2 BR at the Galleon on Front Street in old Key West this year for the second time. The first time was in 2008 and that resort has a 1 in 4 rule.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Need some help with looser renting rules. People who can't vacation can rent their ownership. What they can't do is rent any reservation they might make. My point is that very few people hit a financial hardship after burning a portion of their points that wouldn't allow them to make their full home week reservation. I can't imagine going on a 5 day weekend to Vegas and find out six months later that a vacation using my remaining points would break the bank. If so, suck it up and spend the $69 to move them to next year or let them go to waste and set forth on renting next year's home week. I just don't buy that less strict rental rules is the difference between a higher foreclosure rate and a lower one.

Jan Anderson works for HGVC in the resale department. When someone attempts to rent points, she generally comes up with a way to ferret them out. Sometimes by posing as a prospective renter.

Thanks for the information about Jan Anderson. I have no sympathy for those in the example you describe above.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ownership at Home Resort Required

If they allowed for someone to make any reservation and rent it out, we, as normal users of the club for vacations, would never be able to get into Hawaii. I'd buy in Vegas for the sole purpose of booking as many vacations in Hawaii in prime seasons as I could and rent them out for profit. I wouldn't have the demands of my own schedule, I'd just stay up late at night and take all the prime dates I could grab. Then I'd rent them. I'd rent them and rake in money because my Vegas MF is low while Hawaii is high.

The least Hilton can do is make sure the people profiting from rental are paying the high fees and taxes at the resort they're renting out.

Remy if you read my previous points I was not suggesting being able to do what you have indicated here. I was suggesting being able to rent out any period that you own in your home resort during your home season. I would add, for up to the number of points that you own during that season at that resort.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Remy if you read my previous points I was not suggesting being able to do what you have indicated here. I was suggesting being able to rent out any period that you own in your home resort during your home season. I would add, for up to the number of points that you own during that season at that resort.

Correct, I was responding to the other statement that is attached to my response.

I don't disagree with what you describe above. I just disagreed that the health of HGVC is based on points rental flexibility.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bumping older thread here, but this thread is relevant to my question(s). It looks like if I own a season, I can book any week in that season and then rent it out. My question with that is, do I just contact the resort later on with the guest info? Is there a guest fee?

Can anyone weigh in on which is the biggest loser: renting out the week or converting to HHonors points? I'm just thinking that if I don't have any use for my points next year, I may just want to rent it out or convert and be done with it instead of banking the points and then losing them if I still don't use them.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Bumping older thread here, but this thread is relevant to my question(s). It looks like if I own a season, I can book any week in that season and then rent it out. My question with that is, do I just contact the resort later on with the guest info? Is there a guest fee?

Can anyone weigh in on which is the biggest loser: renting out the week or converting to HHonors points? I'm just thinking that if I don't have any use for my points next year, I may just want to rent it out or convert and be done with it instead of banking the points and then losing them if I still don't use them.

Typically, book a "home week," rent it, then call HGVC for a Guest Confirmation...
Guest Confimations are complimentary ($39 for Club Reservations). --Guide, pg.164.

The only way to know if it's better to convert to HH is to compare your expected net rental income against how much $$ your points could save you at a hotel. If you can net $1000 (not saying you will) that's like 8N in a hotel @$125/N. Would you get enuff points to cover that?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Book a holiday week in your season. I have gold at HHV and always book Memorial Day week with my home resort advantage.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Book a holiday week in your season. I have gold at HHV and always book Memorial Day week with my home resort advantage.

I was thinking that. I just worry that if it doesn't rent and I can't use it, then I am really out.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I was thinking that. I just worry that if it doesn't rent and I can't use it, then I am really out.

Just cancel 31 days prior and get your points back, no fee. The reductions in points returned don't kick in until 30 days for home reservations.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just cancel 31 days prior and get your points back, no fee. The reductions in points returned don't kick in until 30 days for home reservations.

Well done!:clap: Then I can book it open season for cheap!:whoopie: Maybe post any cancellations on the sightings page....

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for all the info.