• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting HGVC Timeshare Reservations

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
There was a recent Thread about PayPal payments for renting timeshares on TUG. That made me think about the following questions. I have read that in RCI you can't rent an exchange but you can rent your home week. What are the rules in the HGVC system on renting timeshares since you don't have a home week but a home season that you reserve?

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
There was a recent Thread about PayPal payments for renting timeshares on TUG. That made me think about the following questions. I have read that in RCI you can't rent an exchange but you can rent your home week. What are the rules in the HGVC system on renting timeshares since you don't have a home week but a home season that you reserve?

You can rent the 7 day week in the unit size and season you own. You book it and you can rent it. You can't (aren't supposed to) rent any random reservation you might make.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Can you rent a partial week?

You can rent the 7 day week in the unit size and season you own. You book it and you can rent it. You can't (aren't supposed to) rent any random reservation you might make.

If you own a one bedroom platinum season at a resort can you book a partial week for a one bedroom during platinum season at that resort.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you own a 1BR platinum season at a resort can you book a partial week for a 1BR during platinum season at that resort.

Of course.
"Club" reservations are 3 or more days at any HGVC or HGVC-affiliated resort (including your own), regardless of season or size of unit. Season and size in important only for "home-week" reservations, which must be 7-days in your season, in the same size unit.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you Rent a Partial Week at a HGVC Resort

What I wanted to ask but I was interupted at home when typing so I ddin't finish my thought was:
If you own a HGVC one bedroom platinum season at a resort can you book a partial week for a one bedroom during platinum season at that resort and then rent it out.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What I wanted to ask but I was interupted at home when typing so I ddin't finish my thought was:
If you own a HGVC one bedroom platinum season at a resort can you book a partial week for a one bedroom during platinum season at that resort and then rent it out.
No, not according to HGVC's rules. You can only rent out what you own: in this case, a full week in a 1BR in the season that you own, checking in on the specified check-in day for that resort.

Kurt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Home week reservation versus club reservation

No, not according to HGVC's rules. You can only rent out what you own: in this case, a full week in a 1BR in the season that you own, checking in on the specified check-in day for that resort.

Kurt

So what you are saying is that you can rent a home week reservation but not a club reservation even if it is at the same resort during the same season.

I wonder how that works with RCI points reservations versus RCI weeks reservations.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
So what you are saying is that you can rent a home week reservation but not a club reservation even if it is at the same resort during the same season.

I wonder how that works with RCI points reservations versus RCI weeks reservations.

That is right according to the HGVC members guide. I would say if you would make a week reservation at where you own for a week, why not at 11 months instead of 9 months?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

The HGVC Guide, pg.162, states that rental of anything other than a home week booking is verbotten.

RCI prohibits rentals of both weeks and points bookings, even if you book your own resort thru RCI. By definition, booking via RCI instead of thru your resort's booking service (HGVC or other) _is_ an exchange.

This is frequently discussed on the RCI board, and I recently quoted the rule in a post there. That's not to say that some do it anyway, but they risk having the reservation cancelled or their RCI account cancelled.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach Friday to Friday

That is right according to the HGVC members guide. I would say if you would make a week reservation at where you own for a week, why not at 11 months instead of 9 months?

The 11 month versus 9 months doesn't make a difference, however, HGVC South Beach home week is Friday to Friday. Some of the concerns with this are:

Airlines may charge more for Friday travel.

People who work Monday-Friday may need to take off 6 days from work to do Friday to Friday

Events that one would like at attend in Miami may start mid-week and go through the weekend so Friday would be in the middle of the event

Therefore, begin able to reserve Monday to Monday or Tuesday to Tuesday might be better

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very Restrictive Rental Rules Not Good for Ownership

The HGVC Guide, pg.162, states that rental of anything other than a home week booking is verbotten.

RCI prohibits rentals of both weeks and points bookings, even if you book your own resort thru RCI. By definition, booking via RCI instead of thru your resort's booking service (HGVC or other) _is_ an exchange.

This is frequently discussed on the RCI board, and I recently quoted the rule in a post there. That's not to say that some do it anyway, but they risk having the reservation cancelled or their RCI account cancelled.

I enjoy my timeshare usage very much so I am not speaking for myself at this time of my life. However, the strict rental restrictions of HGVC and RCI make timeshare ownership less desirable in the big picture of life. With the rise in the number of foreclosures, non-payment of maintenance fees, and people willing to sell their timeshares for nothing a more desirable rental policy may benefit all owners. Of course, it would probably cut into the profits of the big guys but perhaps the owners should to be able to optimize the benefits of their ownership.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Check eBay

There are several weeks for rent on eBay, you can see how people are doing it. They all seem to require this verbiage:

By listing this auction I verify that I am the actual travel agent or travel provider and not a third party affiliate. The travel/accommodations in this auction will be booked directly through me and not an outside agency. I also verify that, other than the government taxes and related government fees stated within the listing description itself, there will be absolutely no additional fees, charges or after auction purchases associated with booking the travel within this listing.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I enjoy my timeshare usage very much so I am not speaking for myself at this time of my life. However, the strict rental restrictions of HGVC and RCI make timeshare ownership less desirable in the big picture of life. With the rise in the number of foreclosures, non-payment of maintenance fees, and people willing to sell their timeshares for nothing a more desirable rental policy may benefit all owners. Of course, it would probably cut into the profits of the big guys but perhaps the owners should to be able to optimize the benefits of their ownership.

RCI and II are very specific about using exchanges "for any commercial purpose by Member or guest, including without limitation auction, rental,raffle or sale" They have even longer more inclusive prohibitions against renting but I didn't feel like searching for the quotes.

Marriott's Destination Club, SVN, and Disney VC all have rules against using club reservations for commercial purposes but does not go on to define commercial purposes so it seems that most members take it to mean that occasional rentals are allowed as long as you don't make a business out of doing it. I don't know what the exact words are in the Hilton guide so I don't know if it is similar to the other points clubs above.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I don't know what the exact words are in the Hilton guide so I don't know if it is similar to the other points clubs above.

"The Club strictly forbids the use of the Club for commercial purposes... including the use of a confirmed reservation in an affiliated resort for any rental, resale or other commercial use (other than an owner's Home Week)." (emphasis added)
-- HGVC Guide, pg.162

"Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not be used for any commercial purpose by Member or guest, including without limitation auction, rental, raffle or sale or the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate or the underlying Confirmed Exchange."
-- Weeks Terms & Conditions, Paragraph 20(D).
-- Points Terms & Conditions, Paragraph 16.

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

I'd love for someone with an HGVC week to sell it to me for nothing. Standing offer to take anyone's Vegas platinum 2 br off their hands.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC ROFR keeps resale price up

I'd love for someone with an HGVC week to sell it to me for nothing. Standing offer to take anyone's Vegas platinum 2 br off their hands.

Your implied point about HGVC resale price staying up due to ROFR is acknowledged and agreed. But we all know that many other timeshares can be bought for nothing, furthermore foreclosures and non-payment of maintenance is a problem for the industry. I love the HGVC system and at this point in my life use all my points and don't need to rent. I was only expressing my thoughts about the benefits of owners flexibility in renting to try to help keep the entire timeshare industry from defaulting. Hilton ownership is one system that probably in the best position to survive. I own another developer week that trades through RCI that I do worry about.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your implied point about HGVC resale price staying up due to ROFR is acknowledged and agreed. But we all know that many other timeshares can be bought for nothing, furthermore foreclosures and non-payment of maintenance is a problem for the industry. I love the HGVC system and at this point in my life use all my points and don't need to rent. I was only expressing my thoughts about the benefits of owners flexibility in renting to try to help keep the entire timeshare industry from defaulting. Hilton ownership is one system that probably in the best position to survive. I own another developer week that trades through RCI that I do worry about.

Flamingo doesn't have ROFR. Properties with a low MF in the Hilton system will likely always be the higher priced units even when the artificial inflation of ROFR drops. I'd guess $7k or $1 per point is their natural price point with no outside influence.

One is able to rent a week out rather than face foreclosure. Just reserve it and rent it. If an owner can take one vacation in a year or take so many vacations the years prior and have orphan points to use, one probably is not nearing foreclosure. I'd have a hard time feeling those people need some help from HGVC now that they've burned their points and don't want to pay the MF for them.

I believe, however, this renting rule is no more important than, say, the rules on occupancy. I say, reserve and rent away. As long as you get away with it, no one is harmed. You might get a cryptic call from Jan Anderson some day asking to rent one of your units. I'd suggest not returning that call.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would buy Hilton points, if they helped me get around the 1-in-4 rules with RCI. I can exchange into Hiltons much cheaper than owning. Someday, I will make two back-to-back reservations for two weeks each to travel with the kids/grandkids, but for now, I am completely blocked from all Hiltons in Orlando.

Owning Hilton should have its privileges. It doesn't with RCI.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...For now, I am completely blocked from all Hiltons in Orlando. Owning Hilton should have its privileges. It doesn't with RCI.

OTOH, if you owned HGVC and booked thru HGVC, you could book any Orlando HGVC as often as you wanted, and could book various Orlando RCI-resorts, including DVC.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
OTOH, if you owned HGVC and booked thru HGVC, you could book any Orlando HGVC as often as you wanted, and could book various Orlando RCI-resorts, including DVC.

What is the $ figure for an exchange into DVC with HIlton Points? I have no clue.

I can trade into the Hiltons so cheaply, BECAUSE of the 1-in-4. When my next time comes to use Hilton in RCI, I will do my best to book four weeks at once, same resort, so I can take advantage. I may even open another RCI account. It's worth it.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the $ figure for an exchange into DVC with HIlton Points? I have no clue.

I can trade into the Hiltons so cheaply, BECAUSE of the 1-in-4. When my next time comes to use Hilton in RCI, I will do my best to book four weeks at once, same resort, so I can take advantage. I may even open another RCI account. It's worth it.

It costs 4,800 points per week in a two bedroom (high-demand season) plus the $179 exchange fee. HGVC gives owners of annual two bedroom platinum units 7,000 points per year. You could have a week in an HGVC to RCI exchange with points left over.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It costs 4,800 points per week in a two bedroom (high-demand season) plus the $179 exchange fee.

Note that Hilton's points-to-book chart for TCI is _not_ "RCI points."
How HGVC & RCI arrived at the exchange schedule is a mystery.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flamingo doesn't have ROFR. Properties with a low MF in the Hilton system will likely always be the higher priced units even when the artificial inflation of ROFR drops. I'd guess $7k or $1 per point is their natural price point with no outside influence.

One is able to rent a week out rather than face foreclosure. Just reserve it and rent it. If an owner can take one vacation in a year or take so many vacations the years prior and have orphan points to use, one probably is not nearing foreclosure. I'd have a hard time feeling those people need some help from HGVC now that they've burned their points and don't want to pay the MF for them.

I believe, however, this renting rule is no more important than, say, the rules on occupancy. I say, reserve and rent away. As long as you get away with it, no one is harmed. You might get a cryptic call from Jan Anderson some day asking to rent one of your units. I'd suggest not returning that call.

Please clarify the comment "those people need some help form HGVC now that they've burned their points and don't want to pay the MF for them" Do you mean people who borrow from next year and then don't pay the MF in January? I usually have 25K points left over from the previous year in December so that can't be me! If they are doing what you say I have no sympathy either. I was having sympathy for those that either through financial hardship or health can't vacation and use their points. They should be able to optimize their reservation and rental options to enable them to pay the MF when they have hardship situations.

Remy, who is Jan Andersen?

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score

HGVC is a great system for the open season and the hard to reserve areas. BUT... why use my points to reserve a platinum season 2BR when I can exchange into the strip for 20TPU plus $206 exchange fee. With my TPU cost, it costs me $352 to exchange into the same property. Points wise, it would cost me $1260, and I would have to borrow just to book. Even the open season would cost $1120.

I currently have a 3BR Sea World on hold in RCI. To book through HGVC in Platinum season it would cost $1500 for 8400 points or $373 to exchange into with RCI for the same week.:whoopie:

We/I go to Vegas and Orlando at least once per year which is why I chose HGVC as my first TS. As of right now, the main reason I am keeping it is for the 1 in 4 rule so I can make open season reservations when required. I may just rent my points our to keep my MF's in check just for that. It was going up for sale but my wife actually told me to keep it...

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is points based, why differentiate rental policies between your home resort week/unit type and club season elsewhere? It's not like you are taking away from home season at a different resort...you simply cannot book it. Once the 9 month mark opens up, it should be fair game for all....personal use or rentals. Some people want to cover MF's and by booking the home resort, it may not be possible based on season and location...