• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental contract?

jmzf1958

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. For those of you who have rented out their timeshare units, do you always use a rental contract? I may be renting one of my units. Thanks. Judy

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy,
It varies, some on TUG do, some don't.
Personally, I do, and I use a cheapie template purchased from TimeSharing Today. I think it was only $25 several years ago. Then I've edited the contract over the years as needed.

In fact, lots of pointers in the Sticky section at the top of this forum here, just in case you haven't seen it.

I believe the contract provides renters as well as rentors some sense of comfort that they have details written down and signed by both parties.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. For those of you who have rented out their timeshare units, do you always use a rental contract? I may be renting one of my units. Thanks. Judy

I dont use a contract.

There was one exception; a third party broker brought me a tenant. They had an agreement that I signed

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I have been a RENTER a few times now and each owner handled it slighty differently. One did a generic contract from TUG and I gave half with the contract, got the resort confirmation in my name and then paid the other half 6 months later. Another one we just used our e-mails as confirmation. I gave a small deposit; 6 months later, paid half and 6 months after that the other half. (I obvously make arrangements way ahead of time!). I am now arranging to rent for next winter and , again, just using the emails as confirmation, sending half now, and upon receiving the resort confirmation in my name, will send the other half within 2 weeks of receipt per the owners wishes.:)

bsohn

Reaction score
A rental contract does allow your renter to obtain trip insurance for as most insurance companies will recognize the contract as proof of rental and the amount paid. it is much hard to prove all of that without the contract.

Brion

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

I guess I'll take it on a case by case basis.

While I rent out any of my weeks only very rarely, my own personal opinion (and practice) is that a rental contract should always be executed. Mutually signed and clearly defined terms and conditions (particularly those pertaining to cancellations and refunds) avoid any possibility of "misunderstandings", real or contrived. YMMV. :shrug:

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of my rentals have been through Redweek and I used a contract. It gives certain assurances to both parties.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A rental contract does allow your renter to obtain trip insurance for as most insurance companies will recognize the contract as proof of rental and the amount paid. it is much hard to prove all of that without the contract.

Brion

I just keep all the e-mails I have as proof, as well as cancelled checks. Also, you and the renter should have the resort confirmation in your client's name so that is proof in itself of the rental.

Last edited: